No announcement yet.

The most skilled fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most skilled fighters?

Before you guys start throwing out names, I want you to follow this criterion.

It has to be strictly about fighters that reached the world level and did well almost solely due to their technical skill and ring-smarts.

If the fighter has more than one typical/average world class trait, compared to their weight class, in the chin, speed, power or overall physical ability department, they can’t be proposed. This also includes fighters with ridiculous reflexes/radar (which may at least be as much raw talent as learned skill), for example Roy Jones or Muhammad Ali.

Feel free to post as many suggestions as you want, and if you don’t agree with a suggestion, explain why.

/greeh
    Last edited by greeh; 10-26-2013, 02:10 PM.

Alexis Arguello
    Last edited by Salardo; 10-26-2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

arguello
      hopkins
      jmm
      cory spinks
      chris byrd
      james toney at cruiser/heavy

All these guys had great skills but didnt possess one-punch power, or incredible hand speed,,, Just really good boxers with great wills to win

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        arguello
        hopkins
        jmm
        cory spinks
        chris byrd
        james toney at cruiser/heavy

All these guys had great skills but didnt possess one-punch power, or incredible hand speed,,, Just really good boxers with great wills to win
        Good shout!

/greeh
        Last edited by greeh; 10-26-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Im finding it hard to throw a name out there in my eyes and what little boxing knowledge my brain has thats a hard question even the names mentioned above arguello toney hopkins jmm they have lotsa different abilities that got them to world level and i truly believe you wont get that world title without having some of those traits you mentioned speed power reflexes etc...doesnt the years of training with the ability produce alot of physical skills or a serious weapon it seems more of a skill vs will type of question while replying to you gerry cooney came to mind.

Comment

you could even say MAB,,,

he didnt possess great handspeed, or a granite chin, wasnt overly athletic,,

Much like jmm, he was just a complete boxer that threw great combinations and in his later years worked really well behind the jab ala the juarez rematch

Comment

going back a long way I would say Billy Graham nothing flashy just sound technical skills which cause many champs to avoid him. I also believe he held an amateur win over Robinson who was close to unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by FightFit View Post
                Im finding it hard to throw a name out there in my eyes and what little boxing knowledge my brain has thats a hard question even the names mentioned above arguello toney hopkins jmm they have lotsa different abilities that got them to world level and i truly believe you wont get that world title without having some of those traits you mentioned speed power reflexes etc...doesnt the years of training with the ability produce alot of physical skills or a serious weapon it seems more of a skill vs will type of question while replying to you gerry cooney came to mind.
                In the OP, I’ve wrote that it’s perfectly fine to suggest fighters with ONE world class trait, for example power.
                Originally posted by greeh View Post
                Before you guys start throwing out names, I want you to follow this criterion.

It has to be strictly about fighters that reached the world level and did well almost solely due to their technical skill and ring-smarts.

If the fighter has more than one typical/average world class trait, compared to their weight class, in the chin, speed, power or overall physical ability department, they can’t be proposed. This also includes fighters with ridiculous reflexes/radar (which may at least be as much raw talent as learned skill), for example Roy Jones or Muhammad Ali.

Feel free to post as many suggestions as you want, and if you don’t agree with a suggestion, explain why.

/greeh
                But that’s it, not above average by weight class standards in anymore of the traits named above.

I know it’s hard to keep it within this criteria, and most of the fighters will maybe be slightly too strong in one more department.

A very good example is Alberto Davila. He was just a technically sound and overall very tidy operator, and succeeded largely because of his technical skills.

Power= Average.
                Speed= Maybe slightly above average, pretty fast hands, but not freakishly fast.
                Chin= Above average/good.
                Reflexes= Average.

He was also short for his division.

I hope I have explained it well so everyone understands, and if someone don’t agree with a suggestion, they just have explain why.

/greeh
                Last edited by greeh; 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Ricardo Lopez was the first name that came to mind.

Donald Curry... for a very brief time period.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                    Ricardo Lopez was the first name that came to mind.

Donald Curry... for a very brief time period.
                    I don’t agree with this.

Donald Curry had the right sort of style, but was too physically gifted for the criterion I set. He had a superb combination of overall speed and strength. In my opinion he only lacked top durability for being in the very highest echelons of physical marvels in the 147 lbs division.

/greeh
                    Last edited by greeh; 10-26-2013, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X