Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you rank toneys hw performances

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Toney was very short, but the extension on his right hand and his jab was profound.

Holyfield was far done when the fight was stopped, 2 rounds of unanswered punches preceded the knowdown.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
      wish toney would have retired after that second peter fight. hes way too damn special a fighter to embarrass himself like this
      It can't get too much worse than his MMA travesty.

Comment

Yeah that was terrible, but I didn't feel too bad, since he was bragging and bashing MMA going into the fight. I don't know why a boxer that wants to get into the sport can't be humble and respect it or else why even bother competing. They proved all the way back in UFC 1 that not just anybody can go in and dominate and that ground skills are needed. But he was like nah, screw this, it's easy, nobody can take me and got what was coming to him. Then again, I guess not much different from his attitude before a boxing match.

Comment

At first his heavyweight run was pretty good but it faded after a bit. Looking back failed drug tests and a couple bad performances placed a dark cloud over it.

Comment

with regards to Toney fighting Vlad:

I love Toney....Watching him in the ring to me is as close to Plato's perfect archetype of boxing as could exist. With that said, Toney would have one major problem fighting Vlad.

a) the shoulder roll is a great style but one weakness is against a jab. Toney would need to make a hella adjustment to counter a great jab with superior reach. He could not reach Vlad with a right cross counter.

Vlad would indeed be able to work off that jab at will.

The older version of Toney that fought at this weight does make adjustments....I wouldn't count him out....but it would be a lot to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Donald View Post
              its pretty impressive as he debuted at 160 and is listed at only 5'9/10 or 11 depending what u read but defo under 6ft

and he has a win over holyfield

how do u see a hvyweight toney who fought holyfield vs current wlad
              Toney did not do much at heavyweight apart from beating a washed up Holyfield, he may well have been cheating at the time too.

If we are talking about a fat, bloated Toney with the limited speed and power that made him so formidable at middle and super middleweight against a primed Wladimir, then that fight is either a UD for the younger Klitschko or a late stoppage.

Toney's defenses were still sharp and he may have avoided many of Wlad's biggest shots but there is no way he would have been able to mount enough of an offensive to actually win rounds. It might have been like watching Pernell Whitaker take on Oscar De La Hoya, Whitaker's defensive frustrated the younger, bigger fighter but he was never able to win enough rounds, why? Because his offense just wasn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Yeah that was terrible, but I didn't feel too bad, since he was bragging and bashing MMA going into the fight. I don't know why a boxer that wants to get into the sport can't be humble and respect it or else why even bother competing. They proved all the way back in UFC 1 that not just anybody can go in and dominate and that ground skills are needed. But he was like nah, screw this, it's easy, nobody can take me and got what was coming to him. Then again, I guess not much different from his attitude before a boxing match.

Toney could have spent a full year whipping himself into great shape, training with the best grapplers on a regular basis and it still wouldn't have made a difference: he was done. He'd been completely shot for several years by that point and had no business competing in any form of combat.

The fact that Toney was paid more than what UFC regulars make and received top billing for such an obvious farce of a fight doesn't reflect well on that promotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Duva View Post
                  Toney could have spent a full year whipping himself into great shape, training with the best grapplers on a regular basis and it still wouldn't have made a difference: he was done. He'd been completely shot for several years by that point and had no business competing in any form of combat.

The fact that Toney was paid more than what UFC regulars make and received top billing for such an obvious farce of a fight doesn't reflect well on that promotion.
                  I bet Toney figured that out as well and figured he would talk **** and try for the ko punch. He knew there was no way to make the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Duva View Post

Doesn't reflect well on the UFC nor on the owners Dana White and the Fertitta brothers. There was an article a little while back on Bleacher Report when Tyson Fury claimed he could beat anyone in the UFC and the writer said that if a boxer is series about MMA, then he should have to work his way up either through smaller promotions and/or lesser names/contenders first so that way it wouldn't be considered such spectacle/farce and I agree. Jessica Racoczy and Holly Holm come from pro boxing experience and I think have the right attitude about the sport of MMA.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
                      Toney did not do much at heavyweight apart from beating a washed up Holyfield, he may well have been cheating at the time too.
                      That was an impressive win, especially since he got a TKO. Nikolai Valuev wasn't able to stop an older, more shot Holy several years later. And he arguably lost to him.

Toney also gave a prime Sam Peter hell in that first fight. So his hw credentials were not bad considering everything.

Call me crazy but I'm actually looking forward to seeing him in that Prizefighter tourney.

Comment

Working...
                      X