No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
    Yes but Holyfield didn't knock out as many opponents as quickly and brutally as Tyson. In terms of sheer brutality, will we see another fighter like that? I sure hope so because it's knockouts like that that drew me to boxing in the first place.
    Edwin Valero and Deontay Wilder had/have longer KO streaks than Tyson did. Mostly against bums, but the same can be said about Tyson's early competition.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
      Football is a brutal sport and always has been. It was nearly banned in the early 20th century because of all the deaths in the college game. It got "safer" over the years (insofar as the number of deaths drastically declined) but safer is a relative turn and even at it's safest the toll it takes on the body and brain is terrible.

That being said, that brutality is part of it's attraction.
      Recently the concussions, the pay amount, the average career in the NFL have been put in the spotlight. What amazes me is that if people only knew what the probability was of winding up poor and broke as a professional athlete it would create a dilemna regarding those who aspire to be a professional athlete.

Boxing holds the promise that with a self promoted & marketed fighter with financial savy.... money could be made. Its not perfect but when a fighter promotes oneself, then at least some money on the table is not earned income. Not to belabor a point but just to consider: If I earn a million bucks for a fight, and pay a promoter, all the reminder is earned income with very few deductions. If I am the promoter its not just that cut but...I can now deduct virtually all expenses as a business, this would include things such as meals, trainers, cars, any advertising, etc. I also can declare a loss if things bomb.

My point is that an NFL aspirant only has earned income. This is insanely taxed so at the end of the day this individual earns a lot less than one may believe. Boxers and aspiring to be a well self marketed fighter who fights well is potentially a lot more lucrative if handled well. If kids knew this we may see less NFLers and more fighters especially considering that with the speed and power of the steriod infused masses a career in the NFL is probably more dangerous than a career as a fighter.

Edit: Dear writing gods please forgive for using a clique (bolded) there is a thread in the main about this....I am guilty of it!
      Last edited by billeau2; 09-28-2013, 09:03 AM. Reason: clique alert

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
        Edwin Valero and Deontay Wilder had/have longer KO streaks than Tyson did. Mostly against bums, but the same can be said about Tyson's early competition.
        True but the difference is Tyson eventually stepped up and beat better competition to become heavyweight champion. Valero died before that happened for him. Will Wilder step up? We have yet to see it but eventually he will have to. I hope he does well, because I like his fights, not sure if I like him yet though.

Comment

Doubt it, Tyson was a once in a life. Obviously there were guys who were better than him, but the sort of potential that Tyson showed makes you wonder how he fcuked it all up.

Comment

he probably had the most fan friendly and entertaining style ever ... all action, agression and KO's

Comment

Tyson had the mythos. Seldom can one fighter so thoroughly have another fighter so scared and psychologically beat. Floyd does not have that, Sugar Ray Robinson didn't have that...Duran possably had some of that moxy! But Tyson was the epiteme of it!

If one really looks at Tyson carefully minus all the media BS one would see (at the time) a sociopath with the intelligence to maximize hurt potential....Tyson was raised as a throwback, he studied fighters carefully, learned and applied knowledge from some of the best trainers in the game, and with Mike nothing was wasted! no additional height to stick a chin on, no excess weight to balloon into....a pure just north of 200 pound killing machine for all practical purposes. He had speed of foot and hand and could hit with either hand, the corner and the backing....At his apex short lived though it was.

Tyson's greatest opponent was himself and the Mike Tyson phenomena is ironick because in every sense Tyson won....or lost, depending on how you view it: He showed that when he was truly at his best he was the closest thing to an unbeatable fighter....And at his worse? he totally melted down, took years off his career and became very beatable.

As a boxing fan of sorts I always thank the powers that be because Tyson did at least become a champion so he can be considered as such....What hurts me are fighters live Oliver Mccall, Ibeacheu, even Witherspoon, and others who had the goods but will melt away for the future generations because they never gained a foothold enough to be considered as a champ.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                good to see that you didn't read the rest of my post.

hell, even something you did read / quote reflects that notion.
                Ofcourse I read the rest of it.

....not seeing how my post indicates that I didn't.

Comment

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Doubtful. The vast majority of today's fighters are addicted to the voice of the ring announcer. They'd rather hear the verdict than take matters into their own hands. The few who share Tyson's sense of urgency to end the evening's proceedings, don't share his punching power to get the job done.

Today's p4p top ranked fighter, who remains undefeated, lacks the punching power to KO a little old lady. Not that he would if he could, as he would much rather showcase his impenetrable defense. zzzzzzz

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    Today's p4p top ranked fighter, who remains undefeated, lacks the punching power to KO a little old lady. Not that he would if he could, as he would much rather showcase his impenetrable defense. zzzzzzz
                    I'd say that Victor Ortiz is a little tougher to KO than a "little old lady".

It's unfortunate that casual fans can't appreciate Floyd's brilliancy. Boring? Give me a break.

Comment

i think we're getting to the heart of the matter.

boxing speaks a language that reverberates in talented kids.

that's the heart of the phenomenon. that's what really matters. if you want look at the future of the division, look at its talented young fighters. you want to make an impact on the division? get a young, talented kid. want a country of great boxers, get the talented kids boxing. want a great HW division? historically, that has only come with american involvement. show me a great HW era that wasn't proliferated by americans. get the talented american kids off of a football field or basketball court, and put them in a boxing gym. in 10 years you won't even think these kids are real. huge, and athletic. i don't even think he'd need to be a behemouth. 6'5", 235 lbs with 5-10% bodyfat.

big, talented american kids aren't boxing any longer. just look at the 20's through the 90's. boxing is where the big, talented american kids were ending up.

we can surely do better than chris arreola, tony thompson, and eddie chambers. trust.

Comment

Working...
                      X