Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just counted up the scholarship football players on 2 pac 12 teams that were 6'0" and then the ones under 6' The Washington Huskies have 11 players listed at 6' even and 19 listed at below 6' and The Oregon Ducks have 9 listed at six feet and 30 at below six feet that makes 69 players almost half of the scholarship players are less than six feet that is assuming that the ones listed at 6' are actually under six feet and that is a safe assumption

Comment

I figgured I would do Alabama to and they only have 13 under 6' but 20 more at exactly 6' I find that hard to believe that 1/4 of their players are exactly 6' and would tend to believe most of them if not all are under 6' but again as with the 2 pac 12 teams about 40% are under 6'

Comment

yes we have seen the likes of him. His name is GGG

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
          There is a huge gap when it comes to recruiting between 5'9" and 5'11".

I didn't say they all have a shot; I just said that pretty much every player at a major D1 program has at least some pro aspirations, however unrealistic they may be.

Regardless, your argument is that all the short stocky athletes are going to football instead. As my link showed, very few short guys end up in the League. A guy who is 5'9" has a better chance of making it to the big time in boxing than he does in football.

The skill-set needed to be a good football player doesn't greatly overlap the skill-set needed to be a good fighter. I don't think all the great potential fighters are making it in football. I think far more are dealing drugs- Crack hit the sport hard.

And someone needs to whack Tyson with a ruler to tell him to stand up straight, because he looks like a freaking midget in person.
          just from a quick look at 10 NFL rosters

I counted 41 running backs, 27 were under 6'0

of the top 10 rushers of all time, only 2 were over 6'0, none of the top 5 were over 5'11 or under 200lbs

a great athlete with a Tyson esque build screams running back.

Boxing doesn't hold the appeal it once did. The sport is not as popular, it's that simple. Less of a potential base to start with. Add in that football or basketball hold greater promises of glory and notoriety at a young age and it is easy to see why potential boxers would pursue other sports.
          Imagine what it would be like to be in high school, be the star athlete, having college coaches banging down your door trying to get you to come to their school. Then getting a full scholarship to college to play whatever sport, being a celebrity on campus and all the perks that come with that.
          If one has an ego, and almost all due to some degree, that will appeal more than the road to glory in boxing. It's years in relative anonymity in the gym, not quite as glorious.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              you attribute europe catching up exclusively to europe getting better. europe has gotten better, but to think that's the only reason that they dominate HW today is absurd. it's an awful division, man. it is easy to do well in so poor a division. face it. wladimir and vitali. other than that none of the eastern euro HW have been good.

it's asinine to deny the correlation between the rise of the NFL and NBA, and the death of the american HW. you would not even think these guys were real if they were boxing. it's not that they're preordained greats. it's that there are thousands of them, and you're better off with thousands of those guys than thousands of tony thompsons.

you like anthony joshua? talented kid. i wish him the best because he's a serious talent who works hard and i'm a sucker for that, no matter where you're from. his talent is common in the NFL or NBA. i'm, not saying they're better athletes than he is, only that his level of athleticism is common. i am not boasting, exxagerrating, whatever you attribute it to. i don't lie on the bscene to further my agenda. i use the truth for that. that's the truth. anthony joshuas (240 lb, 6'6" beasts,) are playing basketball and football by the thousands in america.

the only reason i'm disengaging is because you're not listening to my arguments, which are factual, based on the history of the sport, and address adequately the issues. we are making "headway." you're conceding, and i'm piling up the headshots. boom boom.

you're making an absurd argument; that the rise of the NFL and NBA are not the major factor in the lack of american talent [and subsequent success,] in the division, and that the rise of eastern europe is the chief reason for a lack of american success in the division.

if eastern euros didn't get their asses kicked in the olympics you could make a historically factual argument, and then we'd have a real debate.

instead, you're reduced to assuming that your large athletes could be great HW, while i use as evidence a century long tenure of American dominance of the division. 100 years. do you even listen when i talk?
              We go around in circles, how many more times do I have to state - it's painfully fucking obvious that NFL/NBA took athletes from boxing, why do you keep reiterating this point?

Europe is a good 40 years behind America in terms of boxing, especially with the end of the communist rule in the 90s. You have 100 years worth of data to back up your claims, as I said before, Europe has about 10.

Really, we aren't discussing in facts here otherwise we wouldn't be moving around in circles. Not a big fan of Joshua, he's an athlete not a fighter. Your whole argument is based on assumptions.

Comment

GGG or Wilder might be the next Tyson, but that depends on their competition and if they can win titles and if Wilder can start facing better competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Panthershock View Post
                  just from a quick look at 10 NFL rosters

I counted 41 running backs, 27 were under 6'0

of the top 10 rushers of all time, only 2 were over 6'0, none of the top 5 were over 5'11 or under 200lbs

a great athlete with a Tyson esque build screams running back.

Boxing doesn't hold the appeal it once did. The sport is not as popular, it's that simple. Less of a potential base to start with. Add in that football or basketball hold greater promises of glory and notoriety at a young age and it is easy to see why potential boxers would pursue other sports.
                  Imagine what it would be like to be in high school, be the star athlete, having college coaches banging down your door trying to get you to come to their school. Then getting a full scholarship to college to play whatever sport, being a celebrity on campus and all the perks that come with that.
                  If one has an ego, and almost all due to some degree, that will appeal more than the road to glory in boxing. It's years in relative anonymity in the gym, not quite as glorious.
                  I agree with you about the allures of playing college ball. Our culture has become one that worships at the altar of instant gratification. Why spend five years working your way up the ladder when one can be a star immediately?

On the other hand, I have always believed that the mentality it takes to become a great fighter is different from the mentality it takes to become a great football player.

Comment

Wilder is much better

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Will the NFL and NBA please f**k off.

The heavyweight championship is the biggest prize and title in ALL of sports, EVERY kid should aspire to be heavyweight champ.

Comment

Working...
                      X