Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've always felt that you need to watch a kid/athlete practice to really know what he's got. that's one of the things that you'll see people who scout talent doing. they watch guys train / practice in person. no camera angles to alter your perspective, no sound (crowd, announcers,) no defenders, much of the time. it's just the talent that you get to watch. if you know the sport obviously you appreciate and evaluate their skills and abilities.

here's somebody the americans will know. his name is lebron james. he's the planet's best basketball player.

james is wearing black.

check out the video, and keep in mind that this man is at least 6'8" tall, and 265 lbs. 84 inch reach.

if you're like me, and appreciate great physical talent, i think you'll really enjoy the video. for lack of a better word, james is graceful. he's not as graceful as ali, obviously, but he's about 50 lbs bigger than ali was at his peak, and five or six inches taller.

i'm not saying that anybody, james included, is a preordained great boxer. i am asking you to watch him practice.
    Last edited by New England; 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM.

Comment

billau; the fighters that Tyson scrared were the set up guys he fought in his first 18 or so bouts!!! He didn't scare Evander or Buster and when he was beyond his best he didn't scare anyone!!!
      Things were layed out for Mike to succeed don't make it sound like he struggled once he met Cus! He was carefully trained by Cus with Teddy doing the leg work, promoted by Jimmy Jacobs, again carefully and the income was managed by Cayton so he had very good people in all te right places. You saw what happened when that team was missing!!!! Only Mike vwas left and that was not enough to compete against Buster who the betters had 50/1 or whatever BS they had!!!
      Tyson at his best still couldn't fight inside, forgot his jab as the rounds went on, was terrible at clinching and often lost concentration. All at his best!!!

As for the "scared factor" Dempsey is the original and thats who Tyson copied!!! The only main difference was that Jack fought till the last bell and never looked to duck out!! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        i've always felt that you need to watch a kid/athlete practice to really know what he's got. that's one of the things that you'll see people who scout talent doing. they watch guys train / practice in person. no camera angles to alter your perspective, no sound (crowd, announcers,) no defenders, much of the time. it's just the talent that you get to watch. if you know the sport obviously you appreciate and evaluate their skills and abilities.

here's somebody the americans will know. his name is lebron james. he's the planet's best basketball player.

james is wearing black.

check out the video, and keep in mind that this man is at least 6'8" tall, and 265 lbs. 84 inch reach.

if you're like me, and appreciate great physical talent, i think you'll really enjoy the video. for lack of a better word, james is graceful. he's not as graceful as ali, obviously, but he's about 50 lbs bigger than ali was at his peak, and five or six inches taller.

i'm not saying that anybody, james included, is a preordained great boxer. i am asking you to watch him practice.
        the older guy in white is not bad either props to the bball players that have been instructed by one of the greats in his field.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          the older guy in white is not bad either props to the bball players that have been instructed by one of the greats in his field.

i really appreciated that too, brother. james really looked like he was trying to learn something.

Comment

nope, not like "Iron" Mike. Other great Heavyweights will come and go, but like Mike. He was a one of a kind.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
              I'd say that Victor Ortiz is a little tougher to KO than a "little old lady".

It's unfortunate that casual fans can't appreciate Floyd's brilliancy. Boring? Give me a break.
              Brillancy?!

What it comes down to is this - different strokes for different folks; some people like apple pie, others prefer lemon. You like Floyd's style, God bless you, but he ain't my cup o' tea. He's a methodical plodder who knows how to win, but far from exciting to watch. He may not be a loser, but he sure as hell's a snoozer...
              Last edited by Panamaniac; 10-03-2013, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                Brillancy?!

What it comes down to is this - different strokes for different folks; some people like apple pie, others prefer lemon. You like Floyd's style, God bless you, but he ain't my cup o' tea. He's methodical plodder who knows how to win, but far from exciting to watch. He may not be a loser, but he sure as hell's a snoozer...
                Well, "exciting" is subjective. I've always found Tyson's fights to be pretty dull. That's what's so great about boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post

james is wearing black.

Can you post a video of him practicing flopping on the ground whenever someone so much as hand checks him?

And I'd also like to see him working on how to take seven steps without dribbling and not get called for traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Tyson77 View Post
                    nope, not like "Iron" Mike. Other great Heavyweights will come and go, but like Mike. He was a one of a kind.
                    I do not disagree with you but other's like Ali will never be duplicated as well

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
                      I do not disagree with you but other's like Ali will never be duplicated as well
                      I - to a certain extent - beg to differ. While not in flamboyance or personality type, in the ring Larry Holmes was pretty much like Ali. When they fought each other, 'old man' Ali was, in essence, beaten by his younger self...

Comment

Working...
                      X