No announcement yet.

Floyd is P4P #2 ever after SRR?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    No Holmes did NOT fight everyone.That's absolutely, positively, not true.Why would he not rematch Weaver in a unification fight after the first fight where Weaver gave him fits ? Or Witherspoon after a very close, controversial fight?

If Mayweather didn't rematch Castillo would you give him the same pass? Of course not.

By the way I picked Mayweather to beat Mosley. But that pick was based on his skills. Not because Mosley was "shot."

If you think Canelo is not a good fighter than you can't analyze fighters very well.

Mayweather has had plenty of big fights. For you to claim he has not had any is absolutely ridiculous.

Another thing, Mosley did not have to "chase" Mayweather who stood in the pocket against Mosley and backed Mosley up during numerous parts of that fight.

That is an inaccurate description of the fight.
    I hope you can take some constructive critiscism

a)Holmes was fighting in a division with plenty of talent, he was not a ducker. Look at who he did fight and rematch...Shavers. I happen to be very fond of Witherspoon BTW and to say that he, Or Weaver were ducked for an easy fight....Well where would be those easy fights? A young Bone crusher? Williams (no slouch) Maybe marvis was his one easy fight.

b) You are deluded on Mosley. he may be talented but he was so one dimensional that he was not considered a threat to Mayweather. And Canelo was easy pickings. Look at the fight and reason backwards....what are others missing about Canelo? did he eat bad oysters? Floyd toyed with him because he had holes in his game. Just look at how Nando was done when he came up a level to fight Tito and Oscar. He wasn't a bad fighter (Nando) but he wasn't the same level.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      I hope you can take some constructive critiscism

a)Holmes was fighting in a division with plenty of talent, he was not a ducker. Look at who he did fight and rematch...Shavers. I happen to be very fond of Witherspoon BTW and to say that he, Or Weaver were ducked for an easy fight....Well where would be those easy fights? A young Bone crusher? Williams (no slouch) Maybe marvis was his one easy fight.

b) You are deluded on Mosley. he may be talented but he was so one dimensional that he was not considered a threat to Mayweather. And Canelo was easy pickings. Look at the fight and reason backwards....what are others missing about Canelo? did he eat bad oysters? Floyd toyed with him because he had holes in his game. Just look at how Nando was done when he came up a level to fight Tito and Oscar. He wasn't a bad fighter (Nando) but he wasn't the same level.
      Come on, you can't honestly list Bonecrusher Smith as a higher calibre opponent than what Mayweather has been fighting. Bonecrusher wasnt exactly young either.

Shavers ? It's hypocritical to criticize Mosley as one dimensional when Shavers was far more one dimensional with a questionable chin. I'm not hyping Mosley but there is no way you can claim fighters like Berbick, Scott Frank, Ossie Ocasio, Leroy Jones, eclipse Mayweather's opposition.

I don't mind criticism but I'm pretty certain what I am saying is true. You can criticize Mosley's skill but he was far better than a lot of Holmes opponents.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 11-15-2013, 11:18 PM.

Comment

He probably wouldn't make my top twenty either. But the way so many boxing fans downplay his accomplishments and skill has gotten ridiculous.

I've watched enough boxing in my lifetime to know that he is a great fighter and one of the most skilled I've every seen.

I don't rate him over people like Robinson or Leonard because they have better fighters on their resume. I think people who do that are equally ridiculous.

But downplaying Mayweathers accomplishments and skills has become more of a case of personal dislike for a lot of people rather than facts.
        I give him credit for his great skills and some good wins. Not only do some boxing fans downplay his accomplishments as you say, but so many fans (especially younger ones) overrate him so all we're trying to say is it gets really ridiculous with all the "dick riding" and "nut hugging" so many of his fans do. You seem to rate him well though. Floyd would've gotten more credit for the Canelo win without the catchweight though. Not saying it isn't still a good win though and that he doesn't have other good wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I give him credit for his great skills and some good wins. Not only do some boxing fans downplay his accomplishments as you say, but so many fans (especially younger ones) overrate him so all we're trying to say is it gets really ridiculous with all the "dick riding" and "nut hugging" so many of his fans do. You seem to rate him well though. Floyd would've gotten more credit for the Canelo win without the catchweight though. Not saying it isn't still a good win though and that he doesn't have other good wins.
          I agree a lot of fans overrate him and I have argued with some. But I've also seen the extreme on the other side of it. A lot in this thread.
          Last edited by joseph5620; 11-15-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

LOL please show me where I said Floyd was top twenty? I already stated my views on that. You should read them.

My issue in this was downplaying what he has done in such a biased way. It has gotten ridiculous honestly.
            im not trying to downplay floyd,, but for being the face of boxing and the biggest draw, he has really let the sport down..

Guys who can claim to be the face of boxing

floyd: hatton, jlc, corrales,,

oscar: pernell, vargas, tito, ike, shane twice, hopkins, floyd, manny

SRL: benetiz, hearns, duran twice, hagler, aybule,

ali: frazier 3 times, foreman, norton 3 times, liston, young, holmes

Do you see the difference,, most great fight all the big fights and most do it in a short time frame like oscar and srl,,,,

now do you really think beating a corrales compares to beating hearns
            or having 2 fights vs JLC really compares to fighting prime mosley twice, or frazier 3 times...

please tell me what floyd's best achievements are, and then compare to other great fighters in his position like oscar and srl,,,,,

if floyd was like oscar and srl,, then floyd would have fought hatton @140, cotto and mosley in 07-08, manny 09-12, canelo with no catchweight, casamoyer, freitas, spadafora at the lower weights, and he wouldnt be fighting bruscles or shambra

no one is trying to say floyd doesnt have great skills,, he has amazing talent, yet i cant say he is some boxing god, because he never took the big fights,,

joe calzaghe can at least say he took on undefeated prime lacy, kessler, and hopkins,,,,

those wins are on par with anything floyd has accomplished if you really think about it,,, all floyd's big name wins came against faded names like oscar, shane, cotto, canelo is a never has been and that will be proven in a few years after he has fought serious jr mids and middlewieghts and not punching bags like cintron, old shane, baldomir, hatton, rhodes, lopez

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              "A true bore" as you say because of a couple of things: Fighters today do not know how to fight inside. Mayweather can clinque and stop the action on demand. Also, Mayweather is so safety oriented that he throws his one punch and immediately angles, exists away so there is never an exchange. I don't fault Mayweather for this....if he fought Ward for example he would get exposed on the inside game, but he won't will he? haha.

Good post. Your absolutely right about manipulating the opponent selection, the klits are the absolute worse in this regard... Sheesh! You can see such a major variation in comp between Lewis and Vlad/Vitalie much less when the division was strong for the big guys. Yet the Klits have everyone convinced they are fighting the best....yeah right.

I know it is a clique but Money May had his chance. If he had fought Pac he could have at least partially rectified the situation.

Nice Post
              So you're saying the Klits ducked some opponents? Who? Or are you saying it's just a weak division they fight in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                im not trying to downplay floyd,, but for being the face of boxing and the biggest draw, he has really let the sport down..

Guys who can claim to be the face of boxing

floyd: hatton, jlc, corrales,,

oscar: pernell, vargas, tito, ike, shane twice, hopkins, floyd, manny

SRL: benetiz, hearns, duran twice, hagler, aybule,

ali: frazier 3 times, foreman, norton 3 times, liston, young, holmes

Do you see the difference,, most great fight all the big fights and most do it in a short time frame like oscar and srl,,,,

now do you really think beating a corrales compares to beating hearns
                or having 2 fights vs JLC really compares to fighting prime mosley twice, or frazier 3 times...

please tell me what floyd's best achievements are, and then compare to other great fighters in his position like oscar and srl,,,,,

if floyd was like oscar and srl,, then floyd would have fought hatton @140, cotto and mosley in 07-08, manny 09-12, canelo with no catchweight, casamoyer, freitas, spadafora at the lower weights, and he wouldnt be fighting bruscles or shambra

no one is trying to say floyd doesnt have great skills,, he has amazing talent, yet i cant say he is some boxing god, because he never took the big fights,,

joe calzaghe can at least say he took on undefeated prime lacy, kessler, and hopkins,,,,

those wins are on par with anything floyd has accomplished if you really think about it,,, all floyd's big name wins came against faded names like oscar, shane, cotto, canelo is a never has been and that will be proven in a few years after he has fought serious jr mids and middlewieghts and not punching bags like cintron, old shane, baldomir, hatton, rhodes, lopez
                Speaking of catchweights, didn't Mayweather also fight Marquez at a catchweight?

Comment

LOL please show me where I said Floyd was top twenty? I already stated my views on that. You should read them.

My issue in this was downplaying what he has done in such a biased way. It has gotten ridiculous honestly.
                  yea,,,,there's always been so much controversy with mayweather. hes great,,,but just how great is a really big question mark becuz he never really beat another great fighter that was in his prime. not entirely his fault but partially so

Comment

• Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                    yea,,,,there's always been so much controversy with mayweather. hes great,,,but just how great is a really big question mark becuz he never really beat another great fighter that was in his prime. not entirely his fault but partially so
                    It's like with Wladimer Klitschko. I can see what he does in the ring that makes him great. The competition is weaker than other era's but it doesn't change what he is doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                      Speaking of catchweights, didn't Mayweather also fight Marquez at a catchweight?
                      Yes it was at a catchweight,, but it really didnt matter if it was a catchweight, 135, 130, 147,, floyd would always own a guy like marquez,, marqeuz needs a come forward fighter to shine,, he struggles with casamoyer, chris john, MAB,,, so yeah he will get whitewashed by floyd

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                      there is alot of hate for mayweather,, i think he is a fantastic talent, but i cant rank him with the SRR, SRL, ali, oscar etc, because he never took the big fights,, he is like a roy jones, with a slightly better resume

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      It's like with Wladimer Klitschko. I can see what he does in the ring that makes him great. The competition is weaker than other era's but it doesn't change what he is doing.
                      Klits are good,, division just sucks,,, no doubt about it, if they switched places with tyson in the 80s and fought his schedule they would be champs,, maybe not dominate wins like ko1 of spinks but they would win and be champs

Comment

Working...
                      X