No announcement yet.

greatest light weight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hellfire508
    Personally...I think Armstrong was far better at featherweight and welterweight. Still top ten at light though.
    definetely gans by far is better than all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by butterfly1964
      definetely gans by far is better than all of them.
      Maybe that term is used in your world, but realistically, there's no such thing as one fighter being "by far" greater than all others who fought in their division.

That's not to say that I disagree with your selection of Gans, though, because he's a very strong candidate as the greatest Lightweight in history (I ranked him #2) and I'm actually kinda glad to see that you have so much respect for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
        Maybe that term is used in your world, but realistically, there's no such thing as one fighter being "by far" greater than all others who fought in their division.

That's not to say that I disagree with your selection of Gans, though, because he's a very strong candidate as the greatest Lightweight in history (I ranked him #2) and I'm actually kinda glad to see that you have so much respect for him.
        if i pick someone, it's because i have a good reason.

Comment

I would have to go ahead and say Roberto Duran.

However, there is the strong argument in Benny Leonard's favor when you listen to what Arcel had to say. He probably would know more about this afterall.

Personally, I have seen a LOT more Roberto Duran than I have seen of Leonard (which is in fact nothing...only have read about the ****** wizard), which also sways me to go ahead and call it in favor of Duran. The fact that Duran was successful all the way up to 160 pounds also has something to do with my decision.

The only man I can see beating a top form Duran would be a top form Whitaker. Whitaker at his peak was one of the most dominating fighters I've ever seen. Again, my take might be a bit biased because Whitaker was my favorite fighter ever, but I feel that he had the legs, skills, and natural talents to beat any lightweight in a single 15 round fight.

I wouldn't bet against Duran in a 5 fight series against anyone else either.

Comment

When I first started boxing in 1978, I bought 8mm films of Duran fighting for the championship, he was molded after the old time fighters, tough toe to toe style, full of surprises and power, I think in his prime as a lightweight he would have been tough to beat.
            Duran#1,,,,,

Comment

No The Greatest Lichtweight Ever Is.........
              Regilio Tuur!!!

Comment

Roberto Duran

Comment

I uploaded this yesterday for a buddy on here, so the least I could do is to pass it on for anybody else interested...

Some Joe Gans for you (versus Kid Herman);

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...1B21A266466AF2

Comment

Cant pick between Duran, Gans, and Leonard... if i had to id give the nudge to Duran because ive seen so much more of him.

Comment

I'll admit I'm biased towards Duran; but I do believe the talent pool was deeper when Leonard reigned and God only knows how good Joe Gans could have been if he'd lived. The first fight with Battling Nelson still blows me away. Modern lightweights who should be thought of include both Chavez and Whitaker. Ike Williams, I think, deserves to be in the Top Ten. Truthfully, I'll have to rehash through my notes...if I can find them.. before I could compile a full Top Ten list, though. Top 3 would most assuredly consist of the first Three I mentioned, though...no question.

Comment

Working...
                      X