Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oliver McCall ... Best Chin Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know a guy with a really underrated chin that no one ever talks about? Dominick Guinn. Has he even been dropped before?

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post
      Where's Ray Mercer? And if you're including Wach then it makes sense to include Zeljko Mavrovic as well.

I never intended it as an exhaustive list...

Sure let's keep going...

Mercer and Mavrovic certainly make the list bro, no argument!

I was excited by the Tua entry, I thought of him as unKOabole around the millenium.

Another entry here would have to be LAmon Brewster.

I mean, he was unKOed until his very last fight with one of the hardest punchers in Helenius in round 8.

The Klitschko stoppage was because his trainer pulled the pin for LAmon's health.

That guy wore a comparable amount of damage to Wach in those fights with Klitschko.

Comment

You know a guy with a really underrated chin that no one ever talks about? Dominick Guinn. Has he even been dropped before?
        Yep, that's a great one!

It's these sort of dudes that LOST a lot of fights (=got beat up more), who'se fights went the distance (=more rounds of punishment) and STILL remained largely unhurt that represent the highest order of chin.

These guys are the most serious contenders to the Marius Wach "winner" type chins.

The main point of relevance is has guys like Guinn ever taken such immense punishment as Wach did in any of his fights??

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
          Yep, that's a great one!

It's these sort of dudes that LOST a lot of fights (=got beat up more), who'se fights went the distance (=more rounds of punishment) and STILL remained largely unhurt that represent the highest order of chin.

These guys are the most serious contenders to the Marius Wach "winner" type chins.

The main point of relevance is has guys like Guinn ever taken such immense punishment as Wach did in any of his fights??
          Hey chap was George Foreman knocked down by anyone other then Ali the night he was sick in South Africa?

Comment

Ron Lyle also knocked down Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Ron Lyle also knocked down Foreman.
              And also by Jimmy Young.

After that, Foreman swore that if somebody were to ever knock him down again they'd have to kill him.

Comment

P4p Peter Buckley deserves a mention, never touched the canvas in 300 bouts.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                  P4p Peter Buckley deserves a mention, never touched the canvas in 300 bouts.
                  Come to think of it Didn't Slapsy maxie avoid being Koed? I recall hearing that he never went down.

Comment

Did he roll with the shots in the second Lennox fight? McCall had a pretty cruddy defence, let's be honest here, and when he got hit he got hit flush.

Mercer had a great chin but he was able to be hurt and dropped. McCall, so far as we know, is not.
                    Mercer fought overall stronger punchers..Holyfield never actually dropped Mercer as well Mercer took a body shot then a knee. On McCall? well he was Tysons sparring partner so theres that. both cvan take a punch but one can only judge on actual fight not sparring...McCall still is top 5 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                      Mercer fought overall stronger punchers..Holyfield never actually dropped Mercer as well Mercer took a body shot then a knee. On McCall? well he was Tysons sparring partner so theres that. both cvan take a punch but one can only judge on actual fight not sparring...McCall still is top 5 I think.
                      Mercer didn't take a body shot, he took a left hook to the jaw. I guess you're going by what the commentators said in the Wlad Mercer fight. They're wrong. Watch the fight and see. Mercer might be said to have taken on a slightly higher class of puncher, and to have absorbed more damage in several fights (I was astounded at the level of punishment he took against Morrison and Wlad) but McCall showed inhuman levels of resilience and still does today at fifty years of age. That's what tips the balance for me.
                      Last edited by Fury4daWIN; 11-09-2015, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X