No announcement yet.

Oliver McCall ... Best Chin Ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NW1 View Post
    He was dropped by Monte Barrett but that was an old man Tua.
    Tua was also dropped by Hasim Rahman, but the referee ruled it was after the bell.

Comment

Just goes to show that chin isn't everything. Most of these guys mentioned didn't do much in their careers. It certainly helps though.

Comment

Marion Wilson
        Ross Puritty
        Oliver McCall
        Mariusz Wach
        George Foreman - Nineties only!
        David Tua
        Vitali Klitschko
        Evander Holyfield

These rate right up there near the very top.

I only rate the Muhammad Ali chin at Cruiserweight, not HW. And that's when he WAS a HW!

Comment

You can't really draw any negative conclusions from a single KO loss for a boxer with an extensive loser career (Puritty for instance). We are talking about guys here who fought more rounds than any other boxers sustaining constant beatings the entire time.

Likewise you can't draw any negative conclusions from a single or very small number of KD's during a long winner career (Tua for instance), where the guy steam rolled opponents his whole run walking straight through big shots the entire time.

As declared- Wach and McCall have been hurt before too and if there records are unblemished by KD's or KO's altogether, that's more of an interesting fact, rather than a proof of them being unKOable.

Right now, out of all these incredibly tough guys, instinct tells me it's Mariusz Wach with the hardest chin, based on the 2 fights with Povetkin and Klitschko.

These are 2 of the hardest hitters of all time.. "The Ukranian Lennox" and "The Russian Tyson".

Surviving 12 rounds each of constant, unprotected bombardment is an unparalleled achievement imo.

Comment

"Russian tyson"

Lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Fury4daWIN View Post
              You don't think Lennox punches harder than Shavers or Frazier? I think you need to rethink that. And what about Bruno, Tyson (whom he sparred many, many vicious rounds with), Maskaev, Bert Cooper? All of those guys are huge heavy hitters regardless of their standings. This isn't about levels, it's about power and how much you can take. Oliver wasn't the most skilled of fighters but he took plenty of monstrous hits in his time and he wasn't remotely fazed by any of them. That's what makes him so special in the chin department.

Tell me another heavyweight who'd be able to take what amounted to multiple flush sucker punches from one of the biggest hitters in the division and not even seem to care or notice them, let alone fifteen of them. Answer: no one. McCall's chin belongs in the very upper echelons, above all the exalted names you mentioned, and there's nothing wrong with that either.
              mcall did have a great chin but he also rolled with punches well and had an underrated defence. ray mercer on the other hand had no defense at all and never rode with the punch. his chin was absolute concrete during his prime years. he took absolute bombs from morrison and lewis without even a wobble. eventually the damn would burst but at his best his chin was as good as any heavyweight period

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                K.o percentages are how you go about the k.os mostly. Lewis many times became a very laid back ,see if you can beat me fighter more than Vitali. looking on video,i see Lewis with more pop in his power punches..Vitali reminds me more of a Foreman clubber, heavy hands but not the pin point accurate power of Lewis..vitali was more of a shovel type puncher.Lewis also fought some good chins..Tucker/Holyfield twice /Tua/Vitali and Mercer all fights sure to drop your k.o percentage down, if you aren't aggressive.I tend to look at the opposition more than the percentage as it makes more sense ,also if the fighters went out of there way to k.o someone in the fight.
                Yup. Which is why stats have to be qualified. The opponents, the way one engages all figure into this type of judgement. Vitalie was heavy handed.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                  Tua was also dropped by Hasim Rahman, but the referee ruled it was after the bell.
                  Good catch Scott! I remember that. That fght was so funny Rahman had these very baggy shorts on and it looked like a bowling ball chasing a ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
                    Marion Wilson
                    Ross Puritty
                    Oliver McCall
                    Mariusz Wach
                    George Foreman - Nineties only!
                    David Tua
                    Vitali Klitschko
                    Evander Holyfield

These rate right up there near the very top.

I only rate the Muhammad Ali chin at Cruiserweight, not HW. And that's when he WAS a HW!
                    Where's Ray Mercer? And if you're including Wach then it makes sense to include Zeljko Mavrovic as well.

Last edited by Fury4daWIN; 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                      mcall did have a great chin but he also rolled with punches well and had an underrated defence. ray mercer on the other hand had no defense at all and never rode with the punch. his chin was absolute concrete during his prime years. he took absolute bombs from morrison and lewis without even a wobble. eventually the damn would burst but at his best his chin was as good as any heavyweight period
                      Did he roll with the shots in the second Lennox fight? McCall had a pretty cruddy defence, let's be honest here, and when he got hit he got hit flush.

Mercer had a great chin but he was able to be hurt and dropped. McCall, so far as we know, is not.

Comment

Working...
                      X