Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardest puncher ever at 135??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Gans- dude was sending Welterweights to sleep. And that Kid Herman one punch KO with the right hand is so picturesque- and it was 1907.
    Last edited by kendom; 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      Punch for punch, the hardest hitter I ever saw at 135 was EDWIN ROSARIO.

I really don't think Edwin Valero rates. He KO'd no one of note at 130 and especially at 135....and from what I actually saw of him he didn't look like a one-punch monster. Guys like Arguello, Rosario, Duran, Ike Williams....they all had the ability to take out quality guys.
      Agreed.On the Valero note he was a ver good puncher at 130 but at 135 it took him along time to take a tough but past it Velazquez.Maybe he might have proven himself to be a terrific puncher at 135 or 140 but for me he was a good puncher with tremendous potential

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        can you really include Valero? despite his record he didn't really knock out anyone worth mentioning
        because he set the damn record for the most 1st round knockouts. Not to mention everyone, I mean everyone he sparred with could only boast of how hard he punched. There is even footage of him banging Morales up, knocking Urbano antillon senseless is sparring. I'm not talking about careers here, just punching power alone.

people tend to horribly overate on this forum which is true, but they also horribly underrate on this forum. Demarco was a solid win, Valero made him quit because he punched so hard. He didn't even tag Demarco on the chin flush, he beat him down. Anyone whos ever boxed knows Valero hits like a monster. Same goes for Foreman hitting harder than Tyson by a country mile, but Tysons punches looked at times more devastating because he knew how to catch someone. Like I said we aren't reviewing careers here, everyone knows Valeros career was cut short to become anything memorable.
        Last edited by them_apples; 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          because he set the damn record for the most 1st round knockouts. Not to mention everyone, I mean everyone he sparred with could only boast of how hard he punched. There is even footage of him banging Morales up, knocking Urbano antillon senseless is sparring. I'm not talking about careers here, just punching power alone.

people tend to horribly overate on this forum which is true, but they also horribly underrate on this forum. Demarco was a solid win, Valero made him quit because he punched so hard. He didn't even tag Demarco on the chin flush, he beat him down. Anyone whos ever boxed knows Valero hits like a monster. Same goes for Foreman hitting harder than Tyson by a country mile, but Tysons punches looked at times more devastating because he knew how to catch someone. Like I said we aren't reviewing careers here, everyone knows Valeros career was cut short to become anything memorable.

the best i've ever seen valero look is in footage of him sparring
          he's got power, speed, unbelievable balance, vision, he's strong.
          he could do it all

that being said this is the LW division we are talking about here, in a historic context

it's a deep division with a long history, and edwin valero's accomplishments and abilities are nowhere near enough to qualify him to be in the running for it's hardest puncher of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            2 names come to mind, Roberto Duran and Edwin Valero (rip) incredible knock out records at 135.

In my opinion, Edwin Rosario.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              Punch for punch, the hardest hitter I ever saw at 135 was EDWIN ROSARIO.

I really don't think Edwin Valero rates. He KO'd no one of note at 130 and especially at 135....and from what I actually saw of him he didn't look like a one-punch monster. Guys like Arguello, Rosario, Duran, Ike Williams....they all had the ability to take out quality guys.

I agree.The more Valero stepped up (which wasn't much) the less he looked like a big puncher. I don't think he belongs on this list.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                I agree.The more Valero stepped up (which wasn't much) the less he looked like a big puncher. I don't think he belongs on this list.
                I don't see that though, Getting knockouts isn't the only determining factor. It's landing the punches to get those knock outs, and also is your opponent in full retreat or is he willing to bang? There was never a Valero fight where a person didn't get the feeling that if he landed right it would have been over. In the demarco fight he was lunging and throwing rough punches that were hitting Demarco on the end.

the 90's Foreman hit plenty hard but he could never connect like he wanted too, yet everyone he faced said he was the hardest punch they had been in with.

In terms of 1 punch Ko power, Duran tops my list with his right hand.

Comment

Top 10

Top LW hitters in no particular order

Duran
                  Arguello
                  Ganigan
                  G. Gonzalez
                  Corrales
                  Rosario
                  Armstrong
                  Chavez
                  De La Hoya
                  Williams
                  Paul
                  Gans

Comment

big hitters at 135
                    arguello
                    Rosario
                    ganigan
                    nazarov
                    spann

Comment

I had previously been a fan of both Nazarov & Holiday at LW, both just miss my top 10 hard punchers at LW, & probably just miss the top 15, no way they make a list ahead of Duran, Gonzalez, Corrales, Armstrong, Williams and others.

Comment

Working...
                      X