No announcement yet.

As boxing fans are we too forgiving?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As boxing fans are we too forgiving?

I ask because I am a fan of fighters like Carlos Monzon and Mike Tyson but do we as boxing fans overlook things certain fighters do outside the ring because of what they have accomplished in side of it?

Originally posted by TBear View Post
    I ask because I am a fan of fighters like Carlos Monzon and Mike Tyson but do we as boxing fans overlook things certain fighters do outside the ring because of what they have accomplished in side of it?
    I understand where you're coming from T-Bear. Alot of fighters were brought up in ****** type areas therefore alot of them have had trouble in the past. I can over look almost anything if the person learned or paid the price for his actions. But I will never forgive Tyson for biting Evanders ear, that was the most disgracefull thing that I have ever seen in the sporting world.

We kinda have to be forgiving or we wouldn't have a whole lot of guys to root for..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      I understand where you're coming from T-Bear. Alot of fighters were brought up in ****** type areas therefore alot of them have had trouble in the past. I can over look almost anything if the person learned or paid the price for his actions. But I will never forgive Tyson for biting Evanders ear, that was the most disgracefull thing that I have ever seen in the sporting world.

We kinda have to be forgiving or we wouldn't have a whole lot of guys to root for..........Rockin'
      Rockin' I agree about the ear bitting incident, especially during a world heavyweight fight being televised around the world. Some things should be sacred!

That certainly qualifies but I was refering more to fans that praise fighters that commit unforgivable acts outside the ring, I often wonder if fans of other sports are as forgiving as boxing fans.

Comment

IMO aslong as they've paid for what they've done outside of the ring . I think it's okay to forgive them or at least like/root for them inside of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

carlos monzon killed his wife

there's a huge gap between biting somebody's ear off in a fight and killing your own wife

i try and separate what went on in the ring and what these guys do in their personal lives.
          carlos monzon was a horrible dude. he killed his fuccking wife.
          likewise, mike tyson ****d somebody's daughter, or at least an overwhelming amount of evidence seems to point to that.

it shouldn't have any bearing on my evaluation of his status as an ATG, or my ranking of him as a MW, but i certainly don't simply forgive him of it.
          likewise with tyson, we can evaluate what he's done inside the ring, but i certainly dont turn a blind eye to the fact that he ****d an 18 year old girl
          Last edited by New England; 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I could care less what a fighter does outside the ring. I really could not care any less.

If a fighter is the most wonderful person ever or he's a mass murderer it makes no difference to me. If I like what they do in the ring then I'll be a fan of them and defend what they did in the ring.

It's two separate worlds to me.

Carlos Monzon is one of my favourite fighters, possibly my very favourite. The fact he killed his wife doesn't change that and never will.

Comment

Not only boxing fans but just sports fans in general.

Comment

Without a doubt.

Joe Louis is a prime example. Although he did an awful lot for society, especially in the civil rights front. He beat up a woman, people tend to forget this and hail him as an amazing human being.
                Amazing human beings quite frankly do not beat up women.

I don't mind if you call Monzon etc the greatest boxer ever. If that's what you believe that's fine. If you go saying Monzon, Louis, Leonard etc are All Time Great people. Then you're flat out wrong.

Comment

I grew up idolising Tyson, his out of the ring antics have had zero influence on me, i know right from wrong. These guys are FIGHTERS they came up rough, some of them REAL Rough - they aint Role Models, at least not for the most part....

On the other hand i like Miguel Cotto almost as much for the man as for the fighter, i just like the way he carries and conducts himself - all class.

I must add that i can NEVER and not just as a Cotto fan forgive or be passive when it comes to the actions of Antonio Margarito and those wraps. It was premeditated and dangerous. Was it as bad as Valero and Monzon murdering their wives? No not even close but im a fan of what these guys do in the ring not out of it and because Margarito took his evil act into the Ring - Our Ring, its different
                  Last edited by The Surgeon; 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

It's not just boxing fans, it's sports fans in general. I don't see how anyone can just completely separate the person from the athlete, to a certain level I could, like the many who cheat on their wives or are addicted to drugs, but the ones that beat the crap out of women or kill people? I can't just forget about that because of what they do in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X