No announcement yet.

Ken Norton vs the current HW division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Norton vs the current HW division

how does he do? Let's say he's in his prime and hasn't been sparked by Foreman or Shavers. He's hungry.

Wlad and Vitali are essentially boxers. We all know Norton does quite well against Boxers, because of his ability to Nullify the jab and work the body quite well. He also had a LOT in the gas tank in his prime (vs Ali 1).

Now both Wlad and Vitali can punch, but they are Boxers. I see Vitali probably catching Norton and getting him out of there. I see Wlad trying to box and having a long night however, possibly losing. In fact, a huge chance of losing. Wlad definently wouldn't go in there and try to get rid of Norton. Vitali might though.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    how does he do? Let's say he's in his prime and hasn't been sparked by Foreman or Shavers. He's hungry.

Wlad and Vitali are essentially boxers. We all know Norton does quite well against Boxers, because of his ability to Nullify the jab and work the body quite well. He also had a LOT in the gas tank in his prime (vs Ali 1).

Now both Wlad and Vitali can punch, but they are Boxers. I see Vitali probably catching Norton and getting him out of there. I see Wlad trying to box and having a long night however, possibly losing. In fact, a huge chance of losing. Wlad definently wouldn't go in there and try to get rid of Norton. Vitali might though.
    Outside of Wlad and Vitaly he'd be the best in this era. Wlad is to cautious though and would sit behind his jab rather than imposing his size on Norton. He would probably still win but a Norton W isn't out of the question in my opinion. Vitaly is a different story. He'd look to impose his size and press Kenny. Norton was a helluva fighter but he didn't hold up well when being pressed. I think Vitaly would stop him in 6 or 7 rounds after wearing him down.

Comment

I could see Norton stopping Wlad and outpointing Vitali. Vitali would be the tough one but I seen Norton fighting hard for 15 rounds. 15 rounds might be to much for alot of todays fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Starof David View Post
        I could see Norton stopping Wlad and outpointing Vitali. Vitali would be the tough one but I seen Norton fighting hard for 15 rounds. 15 rounds might be to much for alot of todays fighters.
        But he wouldn't be fighting fifteen rounders if he fought today.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
          But he wouldn't be fighting fifteen rounders if he fought today.
          Ok but I was refering to the conditioning of Norton still. He would be working harder in the championship rounds(11 & 12) than most fighters today are capable of. And he was a better boxer than most people give him credit for. In another class than any of the guys challenging in recent history.

Comment

He would struggle with guys like helenius, povetkin, arreola, thompson

Wlad would stop him in under 10

Vitali would murder him

Comment

I think Kenny would do extremely well and only struggle w/the K bros. Wlad would be an awesome contest w/ Norton possibly grinding him down against the ropes in the later rounds. Thought I think highly of Wlad, Norton can catch jabs all night and doesn't back down.
              Stylistically, the fight w/ Vitali would likely be a mess, IMO. Ken doesn't rush inside and the way Vitali throws that right could be trouble. I'll tell you one thing though, Vitali certainly wouldn't be able to stand in the center w/ his lead hand down when fighting Norton.

Comment

i say this a lot about threads like this but it's generally how i feel

he would walk right through the top ten

he'd walk right through it. most of these guys are a complete joke. dimitrenko? adamek? chambers?
                flippin thompson?!?
                ken norton would harpoon that whale

the real task would be defeating the klitschkos

today's vitali is starting to show his age.
                still a tough bastard. still a ring general. i think norton would outpoint him in an odd looking contest.

wladimir he stops
                he'd grind him down. legs and an engine would give wladimir nightmares.
                norton had great legs and a great engine.
                the real question would come down to whether or not wladimir would be strong enough (and high enough) to simply drape himself over norton and tie him up consistently.
                i think he'd have trouble getting away with it once he tired, and norton would be able to keep his hands free and work the body

if he doesnt get stopped himself (which i doubt, considering how few big punches wladimir actually throws,) i think norton would stop him somewhere in the middle of the fight

maybe eight rounds
                Last edited by New England; 02-14-2012, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Same tier as Povetkin and Haye. I don't think he'd be capable of beat the K bros or Solis barring injuries in his favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
                    Same tier as Povetkin and Haye. .
                    Originally posted by Forza View Post
                    He would struggle with guys like helenius, povetkin, arreola, thompson
                    seriously??????????

Comment

Working...
                    X