No announcement yet.

Ken Norton vs the current HW division

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
    I think Kenny would do extremely well and only struggle w/the K bros. Wlad would be an awesome contest w/ Norton possibly grinding him down against the ropes in the later rounds. Thought I think highly of Wlad, Norton can catch jabs all night and doesn't back down.
    Stylistically, the fight w/ Vitali would likely be a mess, IMO. Ken doesn't rush inside and the way Vitali throws that right could be trouble. I'll tell you one thing though, Vitali certainly wouldn't be able to stand in the center w/ his lead hand down when fighting Norton.
    I agree with the bold. Outside the Klits I'd favour him against anyone in the current top ten (though that's not saying much considering some of the names on there). Guys like Helenius, Fury, Dimitrenko, and Thompson would just get embarrassed; they're far too slow and clumsy, and whilst Helenius has a bit of power, I don't see him landing enough to get to Ken. Adamek might put up a decent fight, but I think he gets outboxed and possibly stopped. Chambers would be an interesting fight. Chambers has the skills and speed to cause Norton a few problems; his main weaknesses are lack of power and output. I think he loses a UD. Hard to guage Povetkin at this point in time. He blitzed Boswell and that's not something I was expecting considering Boswell's a pretty tough old campaigner. Have to see if he's improved now Atlas is no longer in his corner.

No way Norton beats Wlad though. Can't believe people are writing that.
    Last edited by nomadman; 02-15-2012, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
      I agree with the bold. Outside the Klits I'd favour him against anyone in the current top ten (though that's not saying much considering some of the names on there). Guys like Helenius, Fury, Dimitrenko, and Thompson would just get embarrassed; they're far too slow and clumsy, and whilst Helenius has a bit of power, I don't see him landing enough to get to Ken. Adamek might put up a decent fight, but I think he gets outboxed and possibly stopped. Chambers would be an interesting fight. Chambers has the skills and speed to cause Norton a few problems; his main weaknesses are lack of power and output. I think he loses a UD. Hard to guage Povetkin at this point in time. He blitzed Boswell and that's not something I was expecting considering Boswell's a pretty tough old campaigner. Have to see if he's improved now Atlas is no longer in his corner.

No way Norton beats Wlad though. Can't believe people are writing that.
      Good post. He should make it challenging for Wlad though and would be his best opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        seriously??????????

You realize that that's almost the same as saying he won't beat the K bros, right?

Comment

I'm not sure Kenny ever had an easy fight and doubt that he'd like one either. If you watch the Holmes vs Norton fight slowly and digest the fight you'll see that he'd have little trouble competing with anyone out there today. They're ALL predictable and other the Vladdy theres no one that could handle Kenny's desire to win. Once again Vladdy would have a fighter in front of him that would demand that he'd fight and have to fight every second of every round and I don't see the fighters of today be able to do that. I don't think they had early fights to prepare them for a man like Norton. Kenny was tuff and don't look at the Forman fight to decide where Norton ranks. Look what happened to Frazier against Big George then Ali slides in and Stops Him!!! Its all about "match ups"!! I don't see Vladdy hanging in there with Norton, I see Norton backing him up because because Vladdy would have to step to him eventually after trying to box him in the beginning. If he could box and move and maintain that style on a very high level of energy with determination he'd have his shot. Kenny was pretty slow a foot but he could pick up his "walking" pace and begin to pressure Vladdy into the corners and ropes thats when Vladdy would have to step to him before Kenny gets any momentum flowing. Could be a good fight I give Vladdy more credit then I did at his beginning I wish he'd show more determination early in the fights to take his opponents mind away but to be honest the current crop of heavies don't show much heart to be champs. He could have and should have lost a few during the last 5 or 6 years and I see him winning the title back too. That sure would have helped boxing in a big way. An intelligent man who knows how to win big, and when hes defeated can come right back and regain the title. Sounds kinda fairtale but thats what I've seen out of these guys today but no one has stepped up. Thats the difference in the era's the era's gone by had men who came to challenge this era has guys who want to last, damn that Rocky movie!!! hahahaha!!!! early lunch time! Ray.

Comment

Norton was around the Klitchkos would've retired along time ago.

Comment

I think he'd be the best of the rest as it were. I'd don't see him beating either brother though

Comment

Working...
              X