Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Section: Your Take On The Whole Pacquiao/Mayweather Saga?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Section: Your Take On The Whole Pacquiao/Mayweather Saga?

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this?

Who do you pass the blame to more for the fight not happening? Do you feel the fight will ever get made? Were would it rank in the best fights never to happen? Etc.....

So much for not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post

So much for not happening.
      That video dosent really prove much do. The fight is still not happening, and they aint even in talks yet.

Comment

fight hype did an accurate chronological article on the failed negotiations. basically the first negotiations were completely team pacs fault the second failed attempt is a mix of both. bob arum has lied the most in all of this though. he lied about floyd offering the a compromise of 2 weeks without random testing to pac in the first negotiations and the judge that moderated it came out and defended the truth.

Comment

I could care less if it happens or not, there are plenty of other great fights to be made. I like Pac and I don't like Floyd, but both camps have done to much posturing, bickering, slandering and giving excuses. These guys are beyond rich and should have checked their ego's and made the fight two years ago for the fans instead of trying to one up each other.

Comment

Can't really to say who is to blame....except for the system itself. Athletes today are investments, and no one wants to risk that investment. Boxers are no longer allowed to lose because a loss, while not the end, will cut that guy's marketability down quite a bit.

What I do know for sure is this, and it's something I try to let the "lay" people out there know:

These guys are not afraid of each other. If you've ever boxed or known a fighter, they do not fear getting in the ring with anyone who isn't either a whole lot bigger or on another level. Even then most fighters still would take on anyone. It is the people around them who keep them from getting it on.

Comment

I did want them to fight but I've just lost all interest in it now. Even if they somehow agreed on drug testing standards they'd spend more months bickering about the purse split, weight, ring size, glove size and who knows what else.

Both deserve their share of the blame, as do the legions of promoters, managers, lawyers, advisors and other hangers on on both sides. Two huge egos incapable of reaching a compromise.

It's a sad commentary on modern boxing that there's not much incentive for them to face each other. Both would argue that their legacy is already secure, both are already rich, and they can make big money in other less dangerous fights. In other words it's not worth the risk. A real shame, for the fans and boxing as a whole.

Comment

Initially I did blame Pacquiou. His reluctance to give blood concerned me!

But the more I think about it, I think Floyd is nervous to meet Pacquiou. Its a combination of Manny's speed, his southpaw style and I genuinely think Floyd is suspicious of Manny partaking in PEDs.

I think Pacquiou is keener to meet Mayweather than the other way round. I think Floyd would happily ride the wave of 'if he wont take the test, he cant meet me'. Floyd knows that Manny's style will not make him look good.

On the subject of testing in the final two weeks of the fight, I can understand anyone not wanting to give blood up potentially until the day before the fight. You can feel a little woosy and weak after giving blood.......and I gather that Manny is more than happy to give urine samples at any point, which should really indicate PED use. If there was to be Olympic style testing I'd want an agreement that both boxers were to be tested randomly, but at the same time as each other.....so that no one gains a perceivable advantage.

I hope the fight happens. If Manny looks good against Marquez we can honestly still say that these two are still the best pound for pound boxers in the world.

There should be a complete 50/50 purse split and no catchweights, the fight should be at 147Lbs and both should enter the ring at the same time. It is right that they should meet, the clash is certainly interesting. I personally think the fight will be boring, with both respecting each other's abilities too much and hesitating to commit, but it is about time we knew who is best.

I certainly cant pick a winner with any confidence......

Comment

The fight not happening in early 2010 is obviously Pacquaio's fault.

The sole reason the fight didn't happen was because he simply refused to undergo further blood testing. People say that it was just an excuse and Mayweather would have come up with another one. In that case, Pacquiao should have called his bluff, but he didn't, meaning that the fight didn't happen because of him. And that's that.

As for the other 'negotiations' in late 2010 I would say it's both their faults. Everything was just bull**** just quotes from either side talking nonsense. Mayweather was on 'vacation' and Pacquaio didn't pull his weight either.

So all in all, both are at fault. And both are divas and control freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    I could care less if it happens or not, there are plenty of other great fights to be made. I like Pac and I don't like Floyd, but both camps have done to much posturing, bickering, slandering and giving excuses. These guys are beyond rich and should have checked their ego's and made the fight two years ago for the fans instead of trying to one up each other.

At this point I don't care anymore either. Of course I'll watch it if it happens but I'm not looking forward to it or waiting like I was in 2010. I think it was Jeff Mayweather who said " You have to strike the iron while it's hot" when he talked about the fight two years ago. I think the iron has cooled at this point.

Off topic but I think Paquiao wins a one sided fight in the rematch with Marquez. I don't see it as an exciting fight at all like the previous two.

Comment

Working...
                    X