Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antonio Margarito vs Tito Trinidad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Margarito isn't anywhere near Tito's league at 147lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
      No need to put much thought into this or over complicate it - If u weigh 147lbs or less and step to Tito with a guard like Margarito's ur going to sleep and i dont give a ***** how good ur chin is...
      This.

Everyone at 147 got hurt by Trinidad at some point...you could also argue that Oscar felt his power and elected to cruise and play it safe the final four rounds (regardless whether he won or not).

I don't think Margarito would throw 100 punches per round against Trinidad. It isn't as if Margarito would be able to go to war with Trinidad for 12 rounds and take his best punches for the full 12.

Vargas nearly did it and that was a 154 Trinidad. I heavily, heavily favor a 147 Trinidad over A LOT of fighters. That guy could knock your block off AT ANY MOMENT.

I really feel bummed that I wasn't a fan of boxing back then to really ride the wave of hype that Tito brought back then.
      Last edited by TintaBoricua; 10-25-2011, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Honestly, I don't see what chance Margarito would have in this fight. This has Tito KO writtten all over it.

I remember the aura Margarito had after that Cotto fight. He became this MONSTER that could wear down any fighter...then Mosley who was a HUGE underdog pulled off one of those spine tingling performances and punctuated it with the KO...one of the best performances in recent years.

This fight would be explosive though! War Tito!!

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
          Exactly. Bernard Hopkins, Winky Wright, and Jones, Jr. are among the greatest in their generation. You could even put Oscar de la Hoya up there too because of his iffy decision loss against Trinidad.

If you had decent/great boxing skills and had a good chin, you could beat Trinidad by sticking to the plan!

Reminder of Trinidad's greatness: undefeated at 147, very good chin, massive heart, terrific stamina, catastrophic power in the left hook. If you planned on slugging with Trinidad, you had better made sure you had an iron gut and chin for twelve rounds.

It wasn't until 154 that Trinidad started getting really hurt and knocked down more often, but he still dispatched his opponents easily.
          Hell, I was just watching the David Reid fight yesterday and Reid was able to hold his own against Trinidad before the swift decline and accumulation of power wilted him down. A young baby Vargas gave Trinidad hell, and Vargas was more sound technically than Margarito. It took Tito to move up to 160 for him to FINALLY get knocked out...after taking a lot of punishment...ending in the FINAL round. He was never knocked out again. Tito was the real deal. His glaring flaw was that in all his losses, he showed failure to adapt. In other words, the fights he lost, he lost them big.

Take ANY version of Margarito and put it in with Trinidad at his best, Trinidad wins. It would be brutal while it lasted.
          Nah, he suffered KDs at 147 against Cortes (who did seem to hurt Trinidad), Stephens, Carr, Campas, and Lueshing.

Regardless, Trinidad still fu*ks Margarito up. Not only is Trinidad on a higher level than Margarito, but he was also a terrible style matchup for Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
            Seriously this is too much of a mismatch to be discussed in this quality section. Trinidad is the one Puerto rican who is actually tailor made for the traditonal Mexican style. He would rape the chavez Sr and margaritos of the world just laugh at their best shots and give chavez a worse beating then Oscar and margarito a worse beating then mosely.
            Tito vs Margarito would be a great ****ing fight. I see Tito beating Margs because he is a better boxer, has more power, is just as big and he doesnt tire. I see either a late KO for Tito or a unanimous decision for Tito because Margs has a chin.

The one thing that makes the fight interesting is that although Tito's chin is decent it isnt great and he wouldnt be fighting a defensive fight because Tito likes to be macho and scrap just like Tony does so thats the only thing that makes the fight intriguing to me because I know that Tony would also land. Bad ass fight though but I see Tito winning it.

Now as for the bull**** comment you made about Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. getting beaten by Trinidad. You do realize that Chavez was a small guy who came from the lower weight divisions dont you? Chavez use to fight at 130,135,and at 140 he reached his ceiling when he was older and no longer prime so any fight that he had at 147 was just an old ATG doing what he knew to do which was to keep fighting well after his prime had left him.

Now if were talking pound for pound match up, then you already know what happens. If a prime Chavez and a prime Tito squared up and they were the same size then Tito gets mauled, he gets backed up and brutalized to the body and his left hook that he used so effectively gets neutralized by Chavez's head in your chest style. Tito would have no room to breathe and much less even get the needed room to throw a left hook and even if he somehow managed to land that punch, Chavez is known for having an iron chin so you know how that would go for Tito. Chavez has forgotten more inside fighting skills than Tito ever acquired so he would just get mauled.

Ask any of the veteran Boricua posters on here who know their boxing and about how styles mesh in the ring if in a pound for pound scrap Tito hangs with the monster that was a prime Chavez!

You must not know too much about just how good he was. Chavez is arguably top 30 ATG in boxing history while Tito although a very very good fighter is no where near Chavez Sr. Go look up anybodies top 100 ATG list and youll see that Chavez ranks higher in all of them that Tito.

So watch your mouth before you say dumb crap. Educate yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TintaBoricua View Post
              LMFAO

A lot of Boricuas up in here.

But anyway, you have to be objective about this.

Tito Trinidad was undefeated at 147, had one-punch knockout power at that weight, was RARELY hurt, knocked down early often but he'd get up pissed off and fight more ferociously...I just can't see any version of Margarito beating Trinidad.

I remember being in awe of Margarito's chin after the Cotto/Margarito fight and a months later, some columnist from ESPN wrote a "How Margarito would've done against welterweights in history". I shook my head when I read that he would've stopped Tito somewhere during the middle/late rounds.

I mean, I gave Margarito all the credit in the world for beating Cotto, but that guy got a little ahead of himself that day.

OMFG, guys...I found the article...Tito's at #6.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3851437

Shaking my head at Tito's "suspect chin"...
              damn, i just took a look at that article and i think Graham Houston must be getting old. That was rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by figzuki View Post
                both are preassure fighters, tito is the better boxer, tito has more power.

Tito by late KO....
                Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
                Slow guys who moved forward and took punches were dead meat against Tito, who was a toe-to-toe master.

Margarito's chin may have withstood a lot, but that would have resulted in his face getting blown to bits.
                End thread

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                  Margarito was little more than a great chin? you serious? I don't think Margarito is made for Trinidad's style. Margarito has the ability to throw a hundred punches a round, there is no style he is tailor made for.
                  Yet he was dominated, lost every round badly, and got brutally stopped by a 40 year old, past prime, shoddy defence brawler in Mosley. His style is made to order for some fighters. A guy who is fast, skilled, has major power and great stamina beats Margarito every time.

Go watch more Tito. He doesn't crumble under pressure, gets stronger as the fight goes on, was never really badly hurt when knocked down and Margarito doesn't actually punch hard enough to hurt him anyway.

I just find it hilarious that Margarito supposedly stops Benitez (because if defensive genius Cotto was making him miss and lasted to the 11th round, Benitez doesn't stand a chance at making it look literally 1000 times easier....No! He gets stopped much quicker than even Cotto), Oscar and Tito all quicker than Cotto.

Honestly, Tito couldn't lose. I remember, as quite a few seemingly don't I guess, when Margarito got badly hurt against Santos (not a brutal puncher by any means), knocked out by 40 year old Mosley, outpointed by defenceless, slow Williams, and had the brakes beat off him by a quick, southpaw. Tito is just as big, much faster, has just as much stamina, much more skills and most importantly he has the power (even ore so than Mosley) to quite literally break Margarito down within the first 6 rounds. Campas was thought to have a scary iron chin and was hurt much less than Margarito up to that point and had shown a stronger chin....Look what happened there. No defence and slow=loss.
                  Last edited by BennyST; 10-28-2011, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X