No announcement yet.

What is more impressive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    I agree, he is Amazing. But my point was this is what a rigged tournament looks like, not the Super six.

The Life and crimes of Don King is an excellent book if you want an in depth look at his rise from nothing to his ability to finagle million dollar fights.
    May check that book out, thanks -- I agree I am not sure what Taylor is suggesting about the other tournament -- there are always advantages to one fighter or another; location; choice of judges, referees can be an advantage but does not necessitate it be a corrupt event, just a reality of staging a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      May check that book out, thanks -- I agree I am not sure what Taylor is suggesting about the other tournament -- there are always advantages to one fighter or another; location; choice of judges, referees can be an advantage but does not necessitate it be a corrupt event, just a reality of staging a fight.
      im guessing you didnt follow it as it happend.

their was a stipulation about every fighter having to travel at least once. (or something to that effect)

ward was the only fighter who refused and he got his way.

there are other reasons..

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post

their was a stipulation about every fighter having to travel at least once. (or something to that effect)

True I didn't. Hell I don't even remember it. -- But if Ward had the clot and the promoter needed him in the tournament then he should move for every advantage he can work out. If the other fighters don't have the clot to make demands then they got to earn it (in the ring; with the fans).

This isn't the NFL or NBA it's prize fighting and these guys aren't in a league or governed by the NCAA, they are entrepreneurs who owe nothing to nobody and have the right to make the best deal they can.

Popularity gets a fighter that clot and it is his right to use it to his advantage. It has always been that way: ring size, glove weight, weight-in rules, venue, ETC. have always been on the table for a prize fight. You got the title you make the demands, you put asses in the seats, you make more money.

Prize fighting isn't synonymous with fairness, never has been and never should be. This isn't an athletic event it is a fist fight for money.

Comment

Can you provide any links to these stipulations and name the other reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
            True I didn't. Hell I don't even remember it. -- But if Ward had the clot and the promoter needed him in the tournament then he should move for every advantage he can work out. If the other fighters don't have the clot to make demands then they got to earn it (in the ring; with the fans).

This isn't the NFL or NBA it's prize fighting and these guys aren't in a league or governed by the NCAA, they are entrepreneurs who owe nothing to nobody and have the right to make the best deal they can.

Popularity gets a fighter that clot and it is his right to use it to his advantage. It has always been that way: ring size, glove weight, weight-in rules, venue, ETC. have always been on the table for a prize fight. You got the title you make the demands, you put asses in the seats, you make more money.

Prize fighting isn't synonymous with fairness, never has been and never should be. This isn't an athletic event it is a fist fight for money.
            you make some fair points. and i agree.
            but that wasnt what was being discussed.
            some american dude was acting like ward won fair and square.

i was saying what you are saying pretty much. throughout his career
            ward allowed to headbutt and lowblow fighters at will.
            and had the judges in his pocket. (his fight against that drunk russian bum)

Comment

Can you provide any links to these stipulations and name the other reasons?
              you'll have to go look it up.
              i could be mistaken but i remember the travel stipulation coming up because of the kessler fight.

seriously doe. are you trolling/joking? or do you really not remember any of this being an issue back then?

Comment

you'll have to go look it up.
                i could be mistaken but i remember the travel stipulation coming up because of the kessler fight.

seriously doe. are you trolling/joking? or do you really not remember any of this being an issue back then?
                I'll look into it again, but I certainly don't see it as a rigged tournament.

Comment

I'll look into it again, but I certainly don't see it as a rigged tournament.
                  this is why froch and kessler etc had to travel.
                  but ward refused.

do you really not remember the reffing/judging for these fights?

like any fight. look who the ref is helping more. than you know who the promoters/TV want to win. im sure you already know this.

how often do you see a truly impartial ref in high profile fights?

Comment

this is why froch and kessler etc had to travel.
                    but ward refused.

do you really not remember the reffing/judging for these fights?

like any fight. look who the ref is helping more. than you know who the promoters/TV want to win. im sure you already know this.

how often do you see a truly impartial ref in high profile fights?
                    Why would the promoters and TV want him to win? Most say he is a boring fighter and never a draw. Your reasoning makes no sense.

Comment

Why would the promoters and TV want him to win? Most say he is a boring fighter and never a draw. Your reasoning makes no sense.
                      this is before that.
                      now i know you're a troll..

Comment

Working...
                      X