No announcement yet.

how good was ken buchanan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how good was ken buchanan?

i am quite clueless about his career/legacy except for the fact that he was defeated by a young roberto duran to take away his championship @ 135...

any insights about him? was he a someone like ricky hatton? how would he do against marquez? or against a prime castillo? or the 135 version of manny pacquiao?

gentlemen?

I know he's a HOFer and seems to be very highly regarded around here, but I can't get over thinking of him as an opponent.

Comment

Very good fighter from my homeland usually given the acolade of Top 20 LW. Beat good fighters such as Ismael Laguma, Jim Watt and Carlos Ortiz amongst a host of other condeners.

Only lost 8 times most of which came past prime.

He was a classic boxer puncher posessing a good jab and ring IQ and is in my opinion the 2nd greatest fighter to com out of Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
        i am quite clueless about his career/legacy except for the fact that he was defeated by a young roberto duran to take away his championship @ 135...

any insights about him? was he a someone like ricky hatton? how would he do against marquez? or against a prime castillo? or the 135 version of manny pacquiao?

gentlemen?
        Buchannan ws actually nothing like Hatton, in or out of the ring. He was a light punching master boxer, a true technician in the ring. Fights against JMM or Castillo would have been very intruiging. I think that Pacquiao's speed would have simply overwhelmed Buchanan though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          Buchannan ws actually nothing like Hatton, in or out of the ring. He was a light punching master boxer, a true technician in the ring. Fights against JMM or Castillo would have been very intruiging. I think that Pacquiao's speed would have simply overwhelmed Buchanan though.
          I agree with the Pacquiao outcome, the 1st round in the Duran fight was really uncomfortable for him(alhtough he did land some good shots.)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxnBoDqn-qk

this documentary might interest you and give you a little insight.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Very good fighter from my homeland usually given the acolade of Top 20 LW. Beat good fighters such as Ismael Laguma, Jim Watt and Carlos Ortiz amongst a host of other condeners.

Only lost 8 times most of which came past prime.

He was a classic boxer puncher posessing a good jab and ring IQ and is in my opinion the 2nd greatest fighter to com out of Scotland.
              Top 10 in my book.

Buchana was an excellent fighter. His jab was better than good, he has an all time great jab that would give almost any weight in history a problem.

Endless skills, great great fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Top 10 in my book.
                Buchana was an excellent fighter. His jab was better than good, he has an all time great jab that would give almost any weight in history a problem.

Endless skills, great great fighter.
                Being Scottish that brought a smile to my face

I was just pointing out that almost all lists, have him Top 20. I would rank him around 10 as well...in fact no, he's definitely number 1

Comment

tnx for all these insights boys...

was carlos ortiz still in his prime when ken beat him or was he already shot that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Being Scottish that brought a smile to my face

I was just pointing out that almost all lists, have him Top 20. I would rank him around 10 as well...in fact no, he's definitely number 1
                    Many people I know have him in the Top 10. I also don't know a Scot that doesn't

I wouldn't disagree if someone didn't have him there but for me he is a Top 10 LW.

Meeting him a few years ago in my hometown in Wolverhampton, England was an honour.

Comment

Working...
                    X