No announcement yet.

Boxings Holy Trinity

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Ali, Frazier, Foreman best combined opponents.

Ali
    Frazier
    Foreman
    Holmes
    Norton
    Young
    Lyle
    Patterson
    Quarry
    Chuvalo
    Ellis
    Bonovena
    Williams
    Liston
    Moore
    Jones
    Moorer
    Stewart
    Holyfield
    Cooney
    Qawo
    Roman
    Bob Foster
    Mathis
    Machen
    That's a pretty solid list of fighters, but Heavyweights are somewhat at a disadvantage by default, in comparison to division jumpers like McLarnin, Ross & Canzoneri whose resumes are littered with elite fighters across multiple divisions. Essentially, lighter fighters have a larger canvas to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Ali, Frazier, Foreman best combined opponents.

Ali
      Frazier
      Foreman
      Holmes
      Norton
      Young
      Lyle
      Patterson
      Quarry
      Chuvalo
      Ellis
      Bonovena
      Williams
      Liston
      Moore
      Jones
      Moorer
      Stewart
      Holyfield
      Cooney
      Qawo
      Roman
      Bob Foster
      Mathis
      Machen
      This is a pretty good list, but the problem I see is Ali is the one who fought all the biggest names in comparison to McLarnin, Ross and Canzoneri each fighting many greats.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
        That's a pretty solid list of fighters, but Heavyweights are somewhat at a disadvantage by default, in comparison to division jumpers like McLarnin, Ross & Canzoneri whose resumes are littered with elite fighters across multiple divisions. Essentially, lighter fighters have a larger canvas to work with.

Agreed. The heavies are at a very big disadvantage for the reason you pointed out.

Comment

Floyd Patterson, Sonny Liston & Muhammad Ali?

Also, a separate thread on ethnic rivalries sounds like a good idea - there was that one interesting statement made by Henry Cooper in the Facing Ali documentary, it went something along the lines of, "In the 20's and 30's you had the immigrant nations all going to America, that's why you had the Jewish, Irish & Italian fighters dominating - you had to fight to earn a living. Nowadays 9 out of 10 fighters are Mexican or Puerto Rican because they're the biggest influx of immigrants into America.", I'm paraphrasing here but I think you can understand the gist of the quote.

Comment

Also, a separate thread on ethnic rivalries sounds like a good idea - there was that one interesting statement made by Henry Cooper in the Facing Ali documentary, it went something along the lines of, "In the 20's and 30's you had the immigrant nations all going to America, that's why you had the Jewish, Irish & Italian fighters dominating - you had to fight to earn a living. Nowadays 9 out of 10 fighters are Mexican or Puerto Rican because they're the biggest influx of immigrants into America.", I'm paraphrasing here but I think you can understand the gist of the quote.
            Thats actually sounds like an ugly truth. You don't see many great white fighters come out of America anymore. That's always been kinda weird too me. Their mostly all coming out of Europe or other Eastern countries.

Comment

I was a bit put off by the possibility of the baiting and flaming that might come with such a thread, but feel free to post one if you like. I also think it would make for interesting conversation.

Comment

Langford, Gans, Jack Blackburn.

Comment

Change of plan. Langford, Joe Walcott and Gans.

Do I win?

Comment

This isn't as good as the ones mentioned.

But; Ezzard Charles, Charley Burley and Lloyd Marhsall have a great great list of achievements between them.

Comment

Langford, McVea, Jeannette.

maybe not the best

but i gotta make sure these guys get some love.

Comment

Working...
                      X