Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1993, was there a bigger fight than Lewis vs Bowe?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronMike* View Post
    Vitali was his wbc mandatory and had even taken the wbc to court to force them to enforce their own rules.
    Lewis fought Vitali on short notice. He was NOT forced to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
      HBO was only willing to accept Vitali as a suitable replacement

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        i am from the UK not the USA and Lewis is English yet you are speaking for us Brits... The Lewis camp dragged their feet not wanting to risk a fight against Rid**** Bowe who looked awesome in winning the title from Holyfield.. TV pundit Barry McGuigan & IBHOF commentator Reg Gutteridge both felt Lewis stood little chance against Bowe and voiced that opinion on the TV.. Lewis took a belt out of the bin and struggled defending it against washed-up opposition while Bowe was introduced as THEE Heavyweight Champion of the World in his fights against Ferguson, Dokes & Holyfield.. Lewis had no recognition so had to fight on a Don King bonanza bill which included Julio Cesar Chavez & Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClelland.. Rid**** Bowe was the man who beat the man...is Bowe telling lies in your opinion in this video?

How does that make you knowledgeable on Lewis popularity in the US? Speaking on Lewis popularity in the US is not "speaking for Brits"

Comment

HBO was only willing to accept Vitali as a suitable replacement
          Do you have a link for that? That may or may not be true but I would like to see it. what I DO know is Lewis did not have to fight anybody at all on short notice once Johnson pulled out

Comment

it was that or wait until Kirk Johnson was ready

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
              it was that or wait until Kirk Johnson was ready
              You just made my point. He didn't have to fight Vitali on short notice.

Comment

How does that make you knowledgeable on Lewis popularity in the US? Speaking on Lewis popularity in the US is not "speaking for Brits"
                Lewis himself as well as most commentators spoke of how Lewis popularity was low in the US on British TV... but you would not know that if you are not british because you wont have been able to watch British TV over there...

Comment

Do you have a link for that? That may or may not be true but I would like to see it. what I DO know is Lewis did not have to fight anybody at all on short notice once Johnson pulled out
                  I try and find some stuff- give me about 10 minutes

Comment

Vitali had Quit against Byrd and was thought of as the weaker of the two brothers with Lewis boasting," I will have one brother for breakfast and the other brother for Lunch" and saying after Vitali he would fight Wlad

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2.../11/877047.htm
                    Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 01-15-2011, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I try and find some stuff- give me about 10 minutes
                      No problem. I'm not doubting what you said if the fight was for a later date. I just have a hard time seeing HBO or the WBC forcing the fight on short notice.

Comment

Working...
                      X