No announcement yet.

History today

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juan Manuel Marquez - what a fighter!

People like myself were worried for him going in, he is 38 years old, seemingly easier to hit, has alot of wear and tear on him, was fighting at a higher weight and was in with a man who had dropped him 4 times and was now being called boxings Very best fighter while destroying far bigger men...

Marquez made Manny look so ordinary, Pac is a GREAT GREAT fighter he is, its not up for debate. However his record of late flatters him and as great as he is, he is over rated. Marquez proved this....Again

CLEAR UD - JMM 117-111

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
      Juan Manuel Marquez - what a fighter!

People like myself were worried for him going in, he is 38 years old, seemingly easier to hit, has alot of wear and tear on him, was fighting at a higher weight and was in with a man who had dropped him 4 times and was now being called boxings Very best fighter while destroying far bigger men...

Marquez made Manny look so ordinary, Pac is a GREAT GREAT fighter he is, its not up for debate. However his record of late flatters him and as great as he is, he is over rated. Marquez proved this....Again

CLEAR UD - JMM 117-111
      Welcome back Surgeon. It's been a while!

Agree with everthing in this post. Great great post.

My scorecard was 117-112 because I had 1 round even.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

Had it 120-0 for Pacquiao all that foot stamping, points had to be deducted.

Comment

• No but, in all seriousness Marquez won 7 rounds to 5 at the very worst, I personally had it 8-6.

- Roach "You need the knockout son."
          - Khan "Manny is gonna lose if he doesn't step it up."
          - Pacquiao's end of fight walk to the corner as Marquez celebrates coupled with the fakest interview I've ever seen.
          - Pacquiao's wifes face.

Marquez did fantastic, I actually called it before the fight. There was something missing in Manny's eyes during the ringwalk that was there during 2008. I don't know what it was but, I remember thinking:

"Marquez looks focussed and a bit nervous, Pacquiao looks care-free and false."

Everytime Pacquiao threw Marquez had it covered either landing a right hand over his lunging shots or slipping and ducking his close punches. Even when not a lot was going on people forget Marquez left to the body that was prominent throughout the whole fight and landing consistently.

Pacquiao just couldn't get his offense started and when the results didn't come by round 6 he looked disinterested. The thing I was most surprised was, was Marquez willingness to trade there was a few times I struggled watching as I thought he was gonna go. The most surprising thing was however was Marquez was actually winning these exchanges. There was a few times when the Primetime commentator scored it for Pacquiao and half the time Pacquiaos flurries looked nice but, nothing actually landed. Marquez timing had him missing by centimetres or actually touching his face just not moving it.

Astounding performance by a 38 year old Lightweight Marquez.

After he did I was walking about the room with my hands in the air: "He did it, he did it."
          I was livid when the decision was announced and I'm still not over it, I couldn't even try and get to sleep despite being knackered because I was so angry.

Comment

Thanks Dan, good to be back!

There were some close rounds but a point difference here and there is fine but no way did Pac win that fight. No way no how. I cant think of a SINGLE round that Manny won Clearly. Lampley was pissing me off last night, how he kept going on about Pac's great footwork, (and it is) giving JMM angles and ***** but it didnt materialise into anything worthwhile and Juan just pivoted with him reset and countered...

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              No but, in all seriousness Marquez won 7 rounds to 5 at the very worst, I personally had it 8-6.

- Pacquiao's end of fight walk to the corner as Marquez celebrates coupled with the fakest interview I've ever seen.
              - Pacquiao's wifes face.

Marquez did fantastic, I actually called it before the fight. There was something missing in Manny's eyes during the ringwalk that was there during 2008. I don't know what it was but, I remember thinking:

Everytime Pacquiao threw Marquez had it covered either landing a right hand over his lunging shots or slipping and ducking his close punches. Even when not a lot was going on people forget Marquez left to the body that was prominent throughout the whole fight and landing consistently.

Pacquiao just couldn't get his offense started and when the results didn't come by round 6 he looked disinterested. The thing I was most surprised was, was Marquez willingness to trade there was a few times I struggled watching as I thought he was gonna go. The most surprising thing was however was Marquez was actually winning these exchanges. There was a few times when the Primetime commentator scored it for Pacquiao and half the time Pacquiaos flurries looked nice but, nothing actually landed. Marquez timing had him missing by centimetres or actually touching his face just not moving it.

After he did I was walking about the room with my hands in the air: "He did it, he did it."
              I was livid when the decision was announced and I'm still not over it, I couldn't even try and get to sleep despite being knackered because I was so angry.
              I had trouble sleeping too!! Ha ha, Marquez certainly deserved that decision.

Comment

• BTW a Belated congratulations to Scotlands Ricky Burns!

Turning out to be quite the fighter

Comment

• Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  No but, in all seriousness Marquez won 7 rounds to 5 at the very worst, I personally had it 8-6.

- Pacquiao's wifes face.

You mean 8-4 I assume.

I agree. Khan, Roach, Buboy, Ariza, Jinkee and Pacquaio himself, they all knew Pacquaio had lost.

What kind of fighter walks back to his corner like he did thinking he won? And when he's lifted onto someone's sholders holds his hands to his head?

They answer is; He didn't. He knew he lost.

I was disgusted by the Decision. Disgusting, but I half expected it. To be honest.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                    Thanks Dan, good to be back!

There were some close rounds but a point difference here and there is fine but no way did Pac win that fight. No way no how. I cant think of a SINGLE round that Manny won Clearly. Lampley was pissing me off last night, how he kept going on about Pac's great footwork, (and it is) giving JMM angles and ***** but it didnt materialise into anything worthwhile and Juan just pivoted with him reset and countered...
                    I didn't and don't intend to watch the HBO coverage. I can't stand literally any of them.

Lampley, Steward, Merchant and Lederman I consider boarderline morons. Alway's so biased it's untrue.

The primetime coverage were also biased (Khan and Bob Sheridan) but they, atleast, scored the fight for Marquez even with their clear bias.

The only rounds I thought were definitely Pac's were 3 and 6 but even then they weren't astonishingly clear IMO.

Some close rounds also but in all of those rounds Marquez landed the cleaner puncher. Infact, in pretty much every round he landed the cleaner punches.

I see this fight as pretty much the first fight without the knockdowns.

Comment

I didn't and don't intend to watch the HBO coverage. I can't stand literally any of them.

Lampley, Steward, Merchant and Lederman I consider boarderline morons. Alway's so biased it's untrue.

The primetime coverage were also biased (Khan and Bob Sheridan) but they, atleast, scored the fight for Marquez even with their clear bias.

The only rounds I thought were definitely Pac's were 3 and 6 but even then they weren't astonishingly clear IMO.

Some close rounds also but in all of those rounds Marquez landed the cleaner puncher. Infact, in pretty much every round he landed the cleaner punches.

I see this fight as pretty much the first fight without the knockdowns.

I agree. I can't stand any of them. I used to think it was just Lampley.But Merchant has just gotten terrible now with his bias. He was once a very good commentator but those days are long gone. And Stewart always has his agenda too. They all do.

Roy Jones jr and Kellerman are the only two I take seriously on HBO now.

Comment

Working...
                      X