Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Lyle or Ray Mercer Who do you rate higher on your greatest Heavyweight's list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obama View Post
    He gave him more than trouble. He arguably beat him. Honestly a draw is being generous to Lennox. Last I checked Lyle was KOed by both Foreman and Ali. And being KOed by an aging Ali is just downright shameful.
    Not as shameful as being humiliated by Larry Holmes in his 40's like Mercer was. He was totally owned in that fight. And he losing to Ferguson (should have been twice) is embarrassing. Almost as much as the draw with Marion Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Not as shameful as being humiliated by Larry Holmes in his 40's like Mercer was. He was totally owned in that fight. And he losing to Ferguson (should have been twice) is embarrassing. Almost as much as the draw with Marion Wilson.
      Absolutely......

Comment

He gave him more than trouble. He arguably beat him. Honestly a draw is being generous to Lennox. Last I checked Lyle was KOed by both Foreman and Ali. And being KOed by an aging Ali is just downright shameful.
        Ali wasn't exacly a scrub at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          Ali wasn't exacly a scrub at that time.
          No shame in losing to an old Ali. Getting stopped by him is a different matter entirely. Especially if you're considered "40th greatest Heavyweight of all time". (Ring Magazine rating in 1998 from memory).

And Mercer's physical shape must be accounted for in his sub par performances. It's a notable difference from just having a lack of talent.

Comment

No shame in losing to an old Ali. Getting stopped by him is a different matter entirely. Especially if you're considered "40th greatest Heavyweight of all time". (Ring Magazine rating in 1998 from memory).

And Mercer's physical shape must be accounted for in his sub par performances. It's a notable difference from just having a lack of talent.
            Its no difference is his fault.

Comment

All I will say is I think a prime Ron Lyle gives a prime Larry Holmes a tough fight.

Whereas a prime Mercer lost to Holmes when Holmes was a grandfather!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                All I will say is I think a prime Ron Lyle gives a prime Larry Holmes a tough fight.

Whereas a prime Mercer lost to Holmes when Holmes was a grandfather!
                I think the prime Lyle would have beaten the Holmes that beat Mercer. And Mercer was in his prime for that fight so there are no excuses for it.

Comment

I have to say, this is just my take, but I thought that...

A) Lewis won his fight with Mercer more comfortably than history remembers.

B) The Ali-Lyle stoppage was premature.

That much aside, while I have a pretty healthy respect for Mercer, I do feel he is often over-rated. There may not be streets in it, but looking at their careers & better performances, I feel comfortable saying the line in the sand is a fairly clear one --- Lyle was the better fighter.

Comment

Foreman was KO'd by an aging Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                      Foreman was KO'd by an aging Ali.
                      :chuckle9: :chuckle9: :chuckle9: :chuckle9:

Comment

Working...
                      X