Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ron Lyle or Ray Mercer Who do you rate higher on your greatest Heavyweight's list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Lyle or Ray Mercer Who do you rate higher on your greatest Heavyweight's list?

Ron Lyle or Ray Mercer Who do you rate higher on your greatest Heavyweight's list?
    Ron Lyle
    81.25%
    Ray Mercer
    18.75%

No option for "very close"?

Comment

Both have similarites. Both never won world title's, both never started boxing until a advanced age, & both could punch but were also fairly limted.

But I go for Lyle, due to his supeior resume of wins etc Buster Mathis, Gregorio Peralta, Jose Luis Garcia, Oscar Bonavena, Jimmy Ellis, Earnie Shavers, & Joe Bugner.

Comment

I think they are equals.. but I have to ask what criteria that we are ranking them..? They both gave ATG competition a lot of trouble but failed.
        Lyle has Shavers, Bonavena, Ellis, and ledoux on his resume. Mercer has Morrison, Damiani, Cooper, and Furgeson.
        Pretty much equal, head to head I really don't know how that would go because mercer was very inconsistent and Lyle had some weird fights too and just got outclassed..

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Bag View Post
          Both have similarites. Both never won world title's, both never started boxing until a advanced age, & both could punch but were also fairly limted.

But I go for Lyle, due to his supeior resume of wins etc Buster Mathis, Gregorio Peralta, Jose Luis Garcia, Oscar Bonavena, Jimmy Ellis, Earnie Shavers, & Joe Bugner.
          That's true, I didnt remember those for some reason. Although Ellis and bonavena were past their prime, The other three are solid wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Giardello View Post
            Quite similar careers in many ways. I'd give the edge to Lyle as he was only beaten by the best of his era in his prime while Mercer lost to guys like Jesse Ferguson (the rematch was not a walk in the park either), drew with Marion Wilson and needed a last gasp prayer to beat Francesco Damiani. Lyle was almost 40 before he lost to someone on that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid McCoy View Post
              needed a last gasp prayer to beat Francesco Damiani.
              He KOed Damiani in the 9th. Hardly a last gasp. There were 3 additional rounds to go.

Anyways Mercer shoulda got a draw against Lennox Lewis. That's better than anything Ron Lyle ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                He KOed Damiani in the 9th. Hardly a last gasp. There were 3 additional rounds to go.
                After losing the first eight rounds. He still needed a Hail Mary to beat Damiani and I don't see Lyle anywhere near his prime getting beat by Jesse Ferguson.

Comment

Aside from the Morrison KO, Mercer doesn't have any major wins in his career. Lyle's wins over Shavers, Bonavena, Bugner, etc, trump that. While Mercer gave Lewis trouble, Lyle did the same to Ali and Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                    Aside from the Morrison KO, Mercer doesn't have any major wins in his career. Lyle's wins over Shavers, Bonavena, Bugner, etc, trump that. While Mercer gave Lewis trouble, Lyle did the same to Ali and Foreman.
                    He gave him more than trouble. He arguably beat him. Honestly a draw is being generous to Lennox. Last I checked Lyle was KOed by both Foreman and Ali. And being KOed by an aging Ali is just downright shameful.

Comment

Working...
                    X