Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shavers, Foreman, Louis, Tyson - who was the hardest puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shavers and Foreman, and Tyson and Louis were two different style punchers. I think it was George Chuvalo who said that George Foreman was like getting hit by a Mac Truck at 20 miles per hour, whereas Joe Frazier was like getting hit by a Pontiac at 40 miles per hour. George and Shavers both hit extremely hard, with relatively slow punches, but had heavy hands. Tyson and Louis hit extremely hard, but like Frazier, they were short and fast, but no so much heavy handed.

Comment

I'm always inclined to say Shavers, just based on the amount of knockouts that guy compiled, and the ferocity of them.

But then I always remember Muhammad Ali saying that Shavers didn't hit as hard as Frazier.

Which is weird to me, because as big a Frazier fan as I am - there's no way in hell I can say that he hit harder than Earnie.

But Ali felt both of their punches, and said Frazier's were harder.

Comment

Tyson hits harder than everyone on that list.

Old school Wladimir hit harder than all but Tyson as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Die Antwoord View Post
          Tyson hits harder than everyone on that list.

Old school Wladimir hit harder than all but Tyson as well.
          Go away little boy.....we're trying to have an ADULT discussion here and it's way over your head. Who's alt are you btw?

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
            Go away little boy.....we're trying to have an ADULT discussion here and it's way over your head. Who's alt are you btw?

Poet
            This is my only name. I used to post on another forum. I also guarantee if you called me little boy not on the internet you'd find yourself laying on your back in half a second. Have fun being an internet warrior. Cant prove me wrong so you try to insult me...just absolutely pathetic.

Comment

I also guarantee if you called me little boy not on the internet you'd find yourself laying on your back in half a second. Have fun being an internet warrior.
              The irony.

But back on topic, what makes you think that Tyson punched harder then Foreman or Shavers ?.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                The irony.

But back on topic, what makes you think that Tyson punched harder then Foreman or Shavers ?.
                The irony that I just stated an opinion so I should be called little boy? Thats trolling and mindless condesension. The question is an opinion, its like asking which religion is right? You can make arguments, but you should be respectful to people. Its pathetic for someone who claims to be 42 to act like that. Absolutely pathetic. Shameful even.

Tyson fought bigger guys and had the same KO%. Tyson fought much better competition in total and floored more legitimate fighters. Also, I can watch the tape and see how hard Tyson punched. Unless you have some scientific method for figuring it out, I will let you have your opinion. The fact remains that the average weight of Shavers's opponents was 23 lbs less than Tyson's. While I do not feel that weight is everything, there is a reason we have a cruiserweight division. We can see how Grant can almost buckle Adamek who never seemed to hurt that much from a single shot by any of the far superior cruisers/LHW's he fought before. So yes, I think Tyson punched much harder than Shavers and was a far superior fighter. And yes if some pathetic internet troll called me little boy for having an opinion, id knock him flat.

Comment

This is my only name. I used to post on another forum. I also guarantee if you called me little boy not on the internet you'd find yourself laying on your back in half a second. Have fun being an internet warrior. Cant prove me wrong so you try to insult me...just absolutely pathetic.
                  Who's the internet warrior? Me or the person making idle threats on a boxing forum? :jerk0ff9:

BTW.....I don't need to prove you wrong since just about every respected boxing historian (ie. people who know more about boxing than you do) out there disagrees with you. When one is on the wrong side of the academic consensus then the burden of proof is on YOU.

And just for ****s and giggles Larry Holmes (who fought both) stated catagorically that Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced.

Poet

Comment

id knock him flat.
                    BTW, that's you'll TRY and knock me flat.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                      Who's the internet warrior? Me or the person making idle threats on a boxing forum? :jerk0ff9:

BTW.....I don't need to prove you wrong since just about every respected boxing historian (ie. people who know more about boxing than you do) out there disagrees with you. When one is on the wrong side of the academic consensus then the burden of proof is on YOU.

And just for ****s and giggles Larry Holmes (who fought both) stated catagorically that Shavers was the hardest puncher he ever faced.

Poet
                      You are pathetic. But ok, Larry Holmes is the gospel, and the most truthful and honest man, so you accept all of his quotes as fact, so lets start with some Holmes quotes. Some facts if you will.

Also Holmes was dropped 3 times by Tyson, who gave him his first knockout loss and within 4 rounds.

What did Holmes say 6 years later after the Tyson fight?

"I still feel that I am in my prime right now but I think my best fights were in my thirties." (Holmes was 38 when he fought Tyson)

Holmes also said, "Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped. "

and

"The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. "

ie. not only are fighters better today, but also it was easier to get a TKO back in the day.

"I don't think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era. "-Larry Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X