No announcement yet.

(Poll) Is Joe Fraizer Overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
    Dude that post was obviously a ****in bait post. He's just trying to get me, poet, Jab, and Sonny all rilled up and at this point it's just annoying and just completely stupid. I don't even think he believes the own bull**** that comes out of his mouth. He just has no life and is trying to entertain himself by starting fights. Obvious definition of a troll.

it wasnt a bait post.cause somebidy goes against popular opinion that makes it bait?he gave very good reasons why he felt the way he did and he is definitely entitled to an opinion.the 7 or 8 of us who voted that joe is overated agree with his post.
    fact is joe went 1-5 against ali,and foreman who were the best of his era
    he missed some big punchers and good contenders in lyle,norton, and shavers
    and he retired pretty early
    so plenty people should have a right to feel he's ovverated

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      Frazier is usually rated as a top 10 HW, even more so than Sonny Liston. Liston was clearly the superior of the two as far as I'm concerned. So based on that I'd say he's definitely over rated.

That said I got no problem with him being in the top 15. Not sure that's ATG worthy though in a p4p sense. Being 205 lbs in his prime makes it borderline.
      Why? Frazier beat the greater fighters and had the much better title reign. And looks just as good if not better on footage.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
        Why? Frazier beat the greater fighters and had the much better title reign. And looks just as good if not better on footage.
        IMO, Frazier looks far better on footage than Liston.

I could watch Joe Frazier all day. Even Liston's fights with Patterson weren't all that impressive to watch, it was just a clear mismatch where a bigger guy beat up a smaller guy.

Comment

Originally posted by r.burgundy View Post
          it wasnt a bait post.cause somebidy goes against popular opinion that makes it bait?he gave very good reasons why he felt the way he did and he is definitely entitled to an opinion.the 7 or 8 of us who voted that joe is overated agree with his post.
          fact is joe went 1-5 against ali,and foreman who were the best of his era
          he missed some big punchers and good contenders in lyle,norton, and shavers
          and he retired pretty early
          so plenty people should have a right to feel he's ovverated
          Not a bait thread? Are you serious? It was obvious from the very first paragraph!

Originally posted by prinzemanspopa View Post
          Easily the most overrated fighter of the last fifty years.A cherry picker,a leech, and a complete and utter fraud compared to the legitimate all time greats.
          How the hell as a respectable fan of the sport who the loves the sport and respects any two warriors with the guts and heart that can go into the ring and scrap with each other, can somebody sit there and say such disgusting things about a former Heavyweight champion? It's disgusting. He could have gone about it without the name calling but he didn't as always. He's obviously just a troll & a hater. So you can't really take anything he says seriously.

How did he avoid Lyle? Jerry Quarry beat Lyle so it's ****in a clear as the sky on a hot a summer day why Frazier fought Quarry instead of Lyle. Lyle was never next in line to fight Frazier. So it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
            IMO, Frazier looks far better on footage than Liston.

I could watch Joe Frazier all day. Even Liston's fights with Patterson weren't all that impressive to watch, it was just a clear mismatch where a bigger guy beat up a smaller guy.
            Sonny Liston's 2 First Round KO's of an ATG Floyd Patterson didn't impress you? What a joke.

You want to talk about clear mismatches in size? What about Joe Frazier vs Bob Foster or Joe Frazier vs Eddie Machen or Joe Frazier vs Doug Jones?

Comment

Why do people downplay Frazier in his three fights with Ali? Frazier was obviously on his downward slope in his career and he still made the fight highly competitive in the 3rd while dominating in the first. Fraziers career was done by the 2nd Foreman fight. You have to remember this was a great era of competition in the heavies coming off of influential childhood heros in Joe Louis and Marciano which elevated the talent pool for the next generation. You may see some of the people the great heavies of the 70's have fought and say, "oh, never heard of him, he sucks", but the truth is those no name fighters talent level for their time was much higher than any era, which in my opinion elevates a lot of wins. Success at even being a champion in that era should be all the credit you need for the ATG list.

Comment

If you think he was so dang overrated you step in the ring with the foreman fight version of him.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseySugar View Post
                  He beat 1 greater fighter. Just one. I put Patterson, Machen, and Folley over everyone else he beat. Williams is right there with the even-more-over-rated-than-frazier Jerry Quarry. To be perfectly honest whether you look at the top or the depth of each resume, Liston's resume is simply superior. It's not remotely debatable. And I'll just have to disagree with who LOOKED like the better fighter. And if he looked so damn good why didn't he make ppl **** their pants like Sonny did? Lack of a stare? It was never the stare. They were scared because they knew and saw what he did to fighters that got in the ring before them. Now this is the part where you tell me Foreman was scared of him before the first fight. And you'd be right. Being scared of Frazier sure worked out a hell of a lot better than being scared of Liston however.

Comment

Some other things. Sonny Liston never ducked or dodged anybody. He cleaned out the HW division before he even became Champion, something that hadn't been done since Joe Louis, who did it after he became Champion. The man also lied about his age. He was actually about 4-5 years older than he claimed to be. In other words when he lost the title he was already a 36/37 year old man. And he lost it to a man most of you want to call "The Greatest". So I don't see the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
                      Not a bait thread? Are you serious? It was obvious from the very first paragraph!

How the hell as a respectable fan of the sport who the loves the sport and respects any two warriors with the guts and heart that can go into the ring and scrap with each other, can somebody sit there and say such disgusting things about a former Heavyweight champion? It's disgusting. He could have gone about it without the name calling but he didn't as always. He's obviously just a troll & a hater. So you can't really take anything he says seriously.

How did he avoid Lyle? Jerry Quarry beat Lyle so it's ****in a clear as the sky on a hot a summer day why Frazier fought Quarry instead of Lyle. Lyle was never next in line to fight Frazier. So it didn't happen.
                      look around this forum.majority of guys say disgusting things about guys they dont like.especially the older posters.you should see what they say about tyson,klitscho and mayweather.this topic is a bit frustrating cause theres about 10 threads asking the same thing about joe.

yes his bashing may be over the top but he still backs his bashing with solid reasoning.why on earth somebody would get offended from a strangers opinion of a stranger is beyond me.instead of looking at his 1st paragraph why dont you adress the rest of the points he made
                      facts are he went 1-5 against the best of his era,and was thouroughly dominated in 2 of those,and he missed some good contenders.

lol,i didnt say he avoided lyle.but you already have a pre-built defense mechanism strait from jab lol.make your own arguments.this hostility between posters has ben going on before you came around here.
                      and it doesnt matter if there was a demand for a lyle fight,he was a top contender.if ali foght him,there is no reason frazier couldnt have either.especially bein that they are from the so called golden era.

Comment

Working...
                      X