Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali Was A Great Fighter, But Way Overrated In Terms Of Boxing Ability'' Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nobody would teach someone to box like ali. you would teach them to box like pep or tunney. but he could still box like hell, had the reach and could use it- and had the chin and willpower to be maybe the best heavyweight ever.

Comment

When I look at Larry I see a person who was a more technical ver of ali with the showboating every person ali beat I see Larry doing it more technical

Ali skills is overrated correct since he didnt really use tech his style was reflexes mostly and when those droped he went off of smarts and toughness Larry as Frazier were more tech we never got to see the real ali be in his 70s form or 60s vs Larry I pick Larry to win both cause his tech
      Last edited by Ascended; 10-04-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Jeffries View Post
        Ali wasn't very fundamentally sound in his first incarnation, but he got away with it due to his phenomenal speed and athleticism. After the ban however, he added elements to his game to make up for the loss in reflexes, and always found a way to win, if not in the first fight, then in the second and third.

Holmes still sounds bitter though having followed the greatest HW of all time, and because he fought in a rather weak era, never got the chance to prove he was on Ali's level.
        - - Lar had 7 cracks at the WBA champs but passed on every one of them. Wouldn't even avenge his Olympic Trials KO lost to Bobick who was well ranked over him.

That he preferred Bobicks smaller, lesser brother emblematic of the low road he took to the title.

Comment

Originally posted by cameronpaul View Post
          iv said it for a while. its not that his not good, i mean his probably top 10 all time heavy weight. but its just that his considered the greatest by pretty much anyone who doesnt know too much about boxing. alis biggest strength was his toughness. theres loads of fighters who bring more to the table, roy jones/toney are slicker and have quicker hands, larry homes has arguably better footwork and jab. tua/tyson are fast and powerfull and would stand a chance of taking ali out in the first few rounds. george foreman destroyed alot of guys ali struggled to beat.
          His resume is why he's so adored.

Foreman
          Liston
          Frazier

Thats 3 of the top 10 ever.
          Last edited by Hustle; 10-05-2022, 02:49 PM.
          Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

Ali could do everything wrong and still make it right.

Comment

Make a grid. List your best 30 top to bottom and those same 30 left to right. Next, X out the strip where the same name up/down & left/right intersect to have the same names oppose. Next, fill in the squares with who YOU think would win. When complete, each of your top 30 has matched up against beach of the other 29.
              Who ends up with the best Win-Loss record of the 30 Heavyweights? On my grid, Ali does. He's 28-1-0.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
                Make a grid. List your best 30 top to bottom and those same 30 left to right. Next, X out the strip where the same name up/down & left/right intersect to have the same names oppose. Next, fill in the squares with who YOU think would win. When complete, each of your top 30 has matched up against beach of the other 29.
                Who ends up with the best Win-Loss record of the 30 Heavyweights? On my grid, Ali does. He's 28-1-0.
                Who did you have Ali losing to?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Who did you have Ali losing to?
                  Jack Dempsey. The perfectly constructed nightmare for Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post

Jack Dempsey. The perfectly constructed nightmare for Ali.
                    He is the one guy of the older era that just might be the Kryptonite for Ali,imo.Fast into range ,perpetual bobbing and weaving,quick hands,great power in both hands,and a mean streak a mile wide.

Comment

Working...
                    X