No announcement yet.

Favorite decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
    Me too, Poet. The reason I picked the 80's is like you Poet I grew up in the 80's. I started watching boxing in 77, so I didn't capture the 70's like I did the 80's. Throughout the 80's, there were great network fights, both on weekend afternoons and primetime specials. Every year there were at least one legendary superfight that my father and I would go see on closed circuit.

1980-DURAN LEONARD I, II. HEARNS-CUEVAS
    1981-SANCHEZ-GOMEZ. LEONARD-HEARNS I
    1982-PRYOR-ARGUELLO I. HOLMES-COONEY.
    1983-HAGLER-DURAN
    1984-HEARNS-DURAN
    1985-HAGLER-HEARNS
    1986-CAMACHO-ROSARIO
    1987-CHAVEZ-ROSARIO. LEONARD-HAGLER
    1988-SPINKS-TYSON. LEONARD-LALONDE
    1989-HEARNS-LEONARD II. LEONARD-DURAN III

While not all great fights, being a youth back then, I couldn't wait to see any of these fights on the big screen.
    I grew up in the 70s, came of age in the 80s. The thing is, even had I just discovered boxing this year and started watching fight film from all the different eras I'd still pick the same way. The 70s has all those Heavyweights plus Duran, Arguello, Gomez ect. The 80s had all those great Welterweight and Middleweight fights

Poet

Comment

Me too, Poet. The reason I picked the 80's is like you Poet I grew up in the 80's. I started watching boxing in 77, so I didn't capture the 70's like I did the 80's. Throughout the 80's, there were great network fights, both on weekend afternoons and primetime specials. Every year there were at least one legendary superfight that my father and I would go see on closed circuit.

1980-DURAN LEONARD I, II. HEARNS-CUEVAS
      1981-SANCHEZ-GOMEZ. LEONARD-HEARNS I
      1982-PRYOR-ARGUELLO I. HOLMES-COONEY.
      1983-HAGLER-DURAN
      1984-HEARNS-DURAN
      1985-HAGLER-HEARNS
      1986-CAMACHO-ROSARIO
      1987-CHAVEZ-ROSARIO. LEONARD-HAGLER
      1988-SPINKS-TYSON. LEONARD-LALONDE
      1989-HEARNS-LEONARD II. LEONARD-DURAN III

While not all great fights, being a youth back then, I couldn't wait to see any of these fights on the big screen.
      I agree and am in the same boat concerning when I started following this sport.

Silva, did recently have a birthday? I could have sworn your age was 41 the last time I remember seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
        I agree and am in the same boat concerning when I started following this sport.

Silva, did recently have a birthday? I could have sworn your age was 41 the last time I remember seeing it.
        Yes, I turned 42 today. Jab, I urge you to buy the new bio on Hearns written by Brian Hughes. It is a must read for both fans of that era as well as Hearns.

Comment

Yes, I turned 42 today. Jab, I urge you to buy the new bio on Hearns written by Brian Hughes. It is a must read for both fans of that era as well as Hearns.
          Congrats! I turned 42 ten days ago lol.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
            No wonder I always seem to agree with you. You are a Taurus as well.

Comment

Happy Birthday my friend!! I'll have to look into that Hearns book.

Comment

Poet
                Happy belated birthday Poet!!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                  Happy belated birthday Poet!!
                  Thanks! BTW, is there ANYONE who produces more sig worthy material than Snopkins?

Poet

Comment

No wonder I always seem to agree with you. You are a Taurus as well.
                    Yep! And bullheaded to boot

Poet

Comment

Thanks! BTW, is there ANYONE who produces more sig worthy material than Snopkins?

Poet
                      You want more sig worthy comments from the troll? Do you remember him saying he NEVER had an alt and only used one name at a time? Go to his current profile and ask him to explain why Snopkins, who is banned, is listed under his visitors? I mean how does that happen if you only go by one name at a time?

Comment

Working...
                      X