No announcement yet.

Favorite decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    I'm with you so far re the 50's though the 40's must have a strong case too and should have been included I think.
    The fighters I highlighted were at their peak in the 40's plus you can throw in Joe Louis, Billy Conn, Henry Armstrong etc Probably the strongest MW era for my money, La Motta, Cerdan, the murderers row, Graziano, Zale. Some great lightweights Ike Williams, Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery etc etc
    Didn't want to add any of the BMR because there's not much footage of them e.g None of Eddie Booker (That I know of, never seen it at any auctions or online), next to none of Williams and I'm not sure how much remains for the others.

Ye I agree the 40s should of been added.

Their prime was in the 40s but they were still a force and put on some of the best fights of the 50s.

Comment

I'd have to say the 80's since that's when I became a fan. Though to me personally I feel the 90's was probably the weakest out of all, It's really hard for me to put one decade above another.

Comment

90s, but there are so many significant fights that didn't happen.

Bowe vs Lewis
        Jones vs McClellan
        Toney vs Jackson
        Nunn vs McCallum
        Trinidad vs Norris
        Whitaker vs Norris
        Whitaker vs Quartey
        Dela Hoya vs Tszyu

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          I'm with you so far re the 50's though the 40's must have a strong case too and should have been included I think.
          The fighters I highlighted were at their peak in the 40's plus you can throw in Joe Louis, Billy Conn, Henry Armstrong etc Probably the strongest MW era for my money, La Motta, Cerdan, the murderers row, Graziano, Zale. Some great lightweights Ike Williams, Beau Jack, Bob Montgomery etc etc
          Excellent point, as always, Big G. I didn't include the 40's because I wasn't sure how many of the board was alive to see that decade. That is why I used the 50's as a cutoff point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
            Excellent point, as always, Big G. I didn't include the 40's because I wasn't sure how many of the board was alive to see that decade. That is why I used the 50's as a cutoff point.
            Provided there are fight films, then any decade is fair game to include, in my view.
            I'm drawn between the 50's and 70's. But if you take the best from each decade then you can pretty much make an argument for all of them.
            I'll vote 70's.

Comment

Hmmm, good question.

I think I'd have to go with either the seventies or eighties.

Both had so many great fights, rivalries, and fighters in all weight classes that it makes it hard to choose.

I'd probably go with the seventies overall though. From the lowest weight class to the highest it had ATG's galore, ATG fights and was still what we now consider a dream with one champion per and so you knew how great a fighter truly was because they had to fight all comers and prove themselves before even looking at a title shot.

Comment

80's. Tyson baby.

Comment

The 70s, but damn the 80s were close. Tough pick for me

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    The 70s, but damn the 80s were close. Tough pick for me

Poet
                    Me too, Poet. The reason I picked the 80's is like you Poet I grew up in the 80's. I started watching boxing in 77, so I didn't capture the 70's like I did the 80's. Throughout the 80's, there were great network fights, both on weekend afternoons and primetime specials. Every year there were at least one legendary superfight that my father and I would go see on closed circuit.

1980-DURAN LEONARD I, II. HEARNS-CUEVAS
                    1981-SANCHEZ-GOMEZ. LEONARD-HEARNS I
                    1982-PRYOR-ARGUELLO I. HOLMES-COONEY.
                    1983-HAGLER-DURAN
                    1984-HEARNS-DURAN
                    1985-HAGLER-HEARNS
                    1986-CAMACHO-ROSARIO
                    1987-CHAVEZ-ROSARIO. LEONARD-HAGLER
                    1988-SPINKS-TYSON. LEONARD-LALONDE
                    1989-HEARNS-LEONARD II. LEONARD-DURAN III

While not all great fights, being a youth back then, I couldn't wait to see any of these fights on the big screen.

Comment

80s by far.

Comment

Working...
                      X