Most famous boxer ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cotto-Rulez View Post
    How old are you grandpa?

cmon Tyson is a mega star, he came when boxing and medias were both at their peak. 20 years later people still talk about him and know about Tyson. Look at the last comments in Tyson's vid in Youtube. This is a good example, that translates his great fame.
    Notice I said "in their time." We have no idea if Tyson will be remembered 80 years from now. Probably not, nor will de la Hoya. As far as Pacquiao maybe if he wins a few more big fights.

Comment

How old are you grandpa?
      My daughter is in Kindergarten so I have a few years until I become a grandpa.

Comment

It's obviously Ali. Not even up for debate.

When Ali was at his media peak in the 70's he had one of the most recognisable faces in the world. Even those who didn't like boxing or were in remote undeveloped parts of the world knew about him. Tyson might spring to people's minds as his peak was more recent.
        But peak vs peak then it's Ali >>>>>> Tyson by a large margin.

Comment

I'd say George Foreman because everyone has a Foreman grill at their house j/k. Ali is probably the most famous.

Comment

Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson are the most famous, it's very close. Then you gotta be kidding me, your average joe doesn't know who Joe Louis is. He just knows Oscar Delahoya and probably heard of Pacquiao in the sportspage. In Africa, Irak or Portugal they all know Ali and Tyson, they don't know Pacquiao, Louis and DLH.

In his day EVERYBODY knew who Louis was. It is said that for the second Schmeling fight over 60 million people were listening to the radio broadcast world wide. Thats a staggering number.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

In his day EVERYBODY knew who Louis was. It is said that for the second Schmeling fight over 60 million people were listening to the radio broadcast world wide. Thats a staggering number.
              Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
              Notice I said "in their time." We have no idea if Tyson will be remembered 80 years from now. Probably not, nor will de la Hoya. As far as Pacquiao maybe if he wins a few more big fights.
              If you ask in their time it's different, i can't compare. It's like asing who was the biggest star between Lance Armstrong and Fausto Coppi. Hard to tell i wasn't there.

Comment

Well my schoolmates haven't even heard of Ali before but they have of Tyson. But older people know of Ali. In his boxing days he was the most famous guy in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Not true.

No one then, or now, in South Asia knows who he is. Given that SA is 1/4 of humanity, it's a pretty big omission.

Not hugely well known in East Asia either.

Ali and Tyson are the only UNIVERSALLY known boxers.

Comment

Only two names deserve to be on that poll, Tyson and Ali but am sure Ali is more famous than Tyson even though Ali is a lot older now.

Comment

I think Mike will get talked about alot more as year goes by, kids growing up are more lightly to know who Tyson is that bad boy who bites peoples ears off and was knocking people out for fun. Right now Ali is more popular among the older generations as time goes by Mike will be the most famous.

Comment

Working...
                      X