Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bert Sugar Top 10 Heavyweights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I can tell, Young would make the ATG top 10 pure boxers' list handily, along with cats like Pep, Benitez, Corbett, Tunney, Mike Gibbons, Locche, Byrd and Mayweather et al. That is indeed high company.

Top AT as a greatest fighter period, I doubt it, though he gives most great heavyweights a night of fits and bed wetting. However, I would expect Tua to knock Jimmy cold. He had enough speed with the lefhook to do it. He would be trying all night long, and one of those lefhooks is apt to stun Jimmy enough to pose his cheeks for the KO.
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 01-19-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
      Even if Foreman fought the same past prime Ali a 2nd time, he would've still lost. There's literally dozens of interviews/articles of Foreman saying how much the Ali fight affected him mentally. A lot of pure/technical boxers that could go rounds and make George think about his stamina, would've given him Ali flashbacks. As I said, Foreman was in his physical prime and was still a dangerous fighter, just not mentally the same after Ali and it was clear.
      - -Guess you weren't around then.

George is the one who materially affected the thinking and physicalogy of both Ali and Field when he "arguably" lost to them.

Ring post fight has George ready to go vs Ali the next day. Ali is noncommittal.

Ali turned down $5 mil for the George rematch to fight Wepner for peanuts, the same Wepner George KO as a novice coming up. Ali and Cosell soiled themselves at the Canadian 5 fighter exhibition George staged for his Ali rematch claims. Ali near heart attack screaming he ain't never gonna rematch George.

Ali looked like kaka for Wepner and the rest of his career.

Not to put too fine a point on your noggin, but jus them gnarly ol' facts, ma'am!

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Guess you weren't around then.

George is the one who materially affected the thinking and physicalogy of both Ali and Field when he "arguably" lost to them.

Ring post fight has George ready to go vs Ali the next day. Ali is noncommittal.

Ali turned down $5 mil for the George rematch to fight Wepner for peanuts, the same Wepner George KO as a novice coming up. Ali and Cosell soiled themselves at the Canadian 5 fighter exhibition George staged for his Ali rematch claims. Ali near heart attack screaming he ain't never gonna rematch George.

Ali looked like kaka for Wepner and the rest of his career.

Not to put too fine a point on your noggin, but jus them gnarly ol' facts, ma'am!
        I'm fully aware of Foreman wanting to fight Ali in a rematch, and I actually re watched the 5 man exhibition sideshow again about a month ago. Realistically, Foreman didn't do himself any favors of getting the rematch either to be honest. He had taken a year off (unless you count that hilarious sideshow in 75), came back and was almost knocked out by Lyle, and then lost convincingly to Young a year after that, all while lobbying for a rematch with Ali. You mention him fighting Wepner for peanuts, but not mention him fighting Frazier in Manilla a few months after that for 9 million. If those are peanuts, I want some!!

I was talking from a psychological standpoint, Ali was in Foreman's head and it was clear. Had they rematched immediately, would you have been confident in George winning? Best shot Foreman had at beating Ali at all would be a 1976, post Manilla shopworn Ali.

Comment

I'm fully aware of Foreman wanting to fight Ali in a rematch, and I actually re watched the 5 man exhibition sideshow again about a month ago. Realistically, Foreman didn't do himself any favors of getting the rematch either to be honest. He had taken a year off (unless you count that hilarious sideshow in 75), came back and was almost knocked out by Lyle, and then lost convincingly to Young a year after that, all while lobbying for a rematch with Ali. You mention him fighting Wepner for peanuts, but not mention him fighting Frazier in Manilla a few months after that for 9 million. If those are peanuts, I want some!!

I was talking from a psychological standpoint, Ali was in Foreman's head and it was clear. Had they rematched immediately, would you have been confident in George winning? Best shot Foreman had at beating Ali at all would be a 1976, post Manilla shopworn Ali.
          - -I see you subscribe to sluggers having to KO every fighter or they lose.

Young looked like kaka and almost KOed mid rds. King set him up to lose by fighting on the undercard of a Puerto Rican feather main event.

Btw, Tubsy Lar who was still skinny further down fighting a novice! Them the DKing halcyon days!

Comment

- -I see you subscribe to sluggers having to KO every fighter or they lose.

Young looked like kaka and almost KOed mid rds. King set him up to lose by fighting on the undercard of a Puerto Rican feather main event.

Btw, Tubsy Lar who was still skinny further down fighting a novice! Them the DKing halcyon days!
            So you thought Foreman won after he walked into traps all night and was dropped in the last round?

Comment

So you thought Foreman won after he walked into traps all night and was dropped in the last round?
              - -Jimmy tossing out popcorn while being battered about the ring in between running like a scalded cat ain't winning fans or points, but Gotta admit!

That KD was a pure textbook study of George running thru his popcorn until a desperate Jimmy timed in the signature punch of his career. The look on George's face says it all.

In his long career George KDed by full 200+ lb heavies Ali, Lyle, and Young. Ali KDed by 2 sub 200lbers Banks and Cooper who had to wear weights to Clear the 174 mark.

Jimmy had a dominant performance vs Ali and out clowned the class clown to boot.

Comment

- -Jimmy tossing out popcorn while being battered about the ring in between running like a scalded cat ain't winning fans or points, but Gotta admit!

That KD was a pure textbook study of George running thru his popcorn until a desperate Jimmy timed in the signature punch of his career. The look on George's face says it all.

In his long career George KDed by full 200+ lb heavies Ali, Lyle, and Young. Ali KDed by 2 sub 200lbers Banks and Cooper who had to wear weights to Clear the 174 mark.

Jimmy had a dominant performance vs Ali and out clowned the class clown to boot.
                U stoopid! Graduate school? No lesson about counter punching versus running... U dumb

Comment

Bert sugar knew his stuff ....used to talk with him sometimes at the ring offices

Comment

Originally posted by louis54 View Post
                    Bert sugar knew his stuff ....used to talk with him sometimes at the ring offices
                    - -Insert Pep won a round without throwing a punch along with Peter Pan being a undefeated gnatweight.

Comment

I can't seem to find anything that says Cooper and Banks wore weights at their respective Ali weigh ins. Can you provide a source or link please?

Comment

Working...
                      X