Let’s get this straight about the Ali-Marciano comp fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

"When Rocky retired, Nat ranked him highly."
    Up until Fleischer died in1972 there had been 24 heavyweight champions.

Fleischer made his last list, ranking them in 1971.he placed Marciano at number 10.
    More BS from you!
    - - Rocky caused Nat to expand his original list of 6 from 1953.

Last I checked being the top 10 of any category is a distinct honour, something you seemingly snarfed down wif your frenchfried snails...ugh...

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post

So Marciano was such a tremendous hitter, that his opponents fell from his punches in a special way - a way that we have never seen before or since? Sure, why not...
      Yes meaning, they were getting a different type of impact on the brain and its causing different effects. A quick short shot to the chin drops someone, a hard one to the canine of the jaw might knock you cold. The angle and leverage point is whiplashing the brain and spilling some coffee. Marciano is very thick limbed and follows through completely with every punch. The damage reverberates right through the brain / body.

If you watch Marciano miss, this guy does not pull punches at all. Pulling punches as in, use the pulling muscles. He’s completely shut them off so all his punches sail through freely. Lastly is leverage, with a low center of gravity, short legs and long torso housing a strong heart and short thick limbs means by way of physics this guy can hit hard. Its all about leverage. Try moving a fridge with out stretched arms vs being able to hug it close. Leverage.

with all that was a cunning mastery of punching technique.

he does some very clever things in the ring in regards to his style. He sells an easy slow sweeping headmovement to lull his oponents into thinking he is some slow easy to hit target. But he isn’t, and nobody can find footage of him eating punches like Frazier does its because he never did. He is selling the slow clumsy look as a deception technique. He does it to bait his opponents into opening up. I didn’t make this up. Ray arcel said this.

so the biggest thing rocky has to overcome is closing the distance. Because once inside nobody has a chance against a dude w 67 inch reach (thats got heavyweight power). So what does he do? Well he’s only 5’10 so he crouches down to 5 ft 3. If you are over 6 feet, punching down suddenly gets very uncomfortable. This is why Marciano never got out boxed. Because he wouldn’t box! His opponents even echoed this saying all he ever wanted to do was get close to you and beat the dog**** out of you.

Marciano is a throughbred fighter in every sense of the word.
      now to cap it off. Marciano possesses the most important factor of all when it comes to fighters: heart. Marciano has too much of it. Thats why he got on a plane in bad weather with no regard for his own safety. He was always like this and as a child thought he was dodging a curse of bad luck.
      Marciano was so fearless and determined. Its his wildcard. Marciano is like Pacquiao x3 if anyone can remember Pacquiao in his prime. You could feel the competitive desire of the man through the screen. He came to win. Well this is Marciano.

the more I watch him the more I realize this guy is almost unbeatable. He finds ways to beat you. Size means nothing.
      Last edited by them_apples; 03-25-2024, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

Yes meaning, they were getting a different type of impact on the brain and its causing different effects. A quick short shot to the chin drops someone, a hard one to the canine of the jaw might knock you cold. The angle and leverage point is whiplashing the brain and spilling some coffee. Marciano is very thick limbed and follows through completely with every punch. The damage reverberates right through the brain / body.

If you watch Marciano miss, this guy does not pull punches at all. Pulling punches as in, use the pulling muscles. HeâÂÂs completely shut them off so all his punches sail through freely. Lastly is leverage, with a low center of gravity, short legs and long torso housing a strong heart and short thick limbs means by way of physics this guy can hit hard. Its all about leverage. Try moving a fridge with out stretched arms vs being able to hug it close. Leverage.

he does some very clever things in the ring in regards to his style. He sells an easy slow sweeping headmovement to lull his oponents into thinking he is some slow easy to hit target. But he isnâÂÂt, and nobody can find footage of him eating punches like Frazier does its because he never did. He is selling the slow clumsy look as a deception technique. He does it to bait his opponents into opening up. I didnât make this up. Ray arcel said this.

so the biggest thing rocky has to overcome is closing the distance. Because once inside nobody has a chance against a dude w 67 inch reach (thats got heavyweight power). So what does he do? Well heâÂÂs only 5âÂÂ10 so he crouches down to 5 ft 3. If you are over 6 feet, punching down suddenly gets very uncomfortable. This is why Marciano never got out boxed. Because he wouldnâÂÂt box! His opponents even echoed this saying all he ever wanted to do was get close to you and beat the dog**** out of you.

now to cap it off. Marciano possesses the most important factor of all when it comes to fighters: heart. Marciano has too much of it. Thats why he got on a plane in bad weather with no regard for his own safety. He was always like this and as a child thought he was dodging a curse of bad luck.
        Marciano was so fearless and determined. Its his wildcard. Marciano is like Pacquiao x3 if anyone can remember Pacquiao in his prime. You could feel the competitive desire of the man through the screen. He came to win. Well this is Marciano.

the more I watch him the more I realize this guy is almost unbeatable. He finds ways to beat you. Size means nothing.
        As I have already said here and elsewhere many times: I have the utmost respect for Marciano! I mean, here we have a small guy, who became heavyweight champ, largely thanks to heart, durability, incredible stamina and punching power. Surely 4 of the most important ingredients in a great fighter's makeup. Difficult not to admire a man like that.

But somehow this apparently isn't enough for some people. We have to invent silly stuff like: "once inside nobody has a chance against a dude w 67 inch reach (thats got heavyweight power)", "punching down suddenly gets very uncomfortable", "size means nothing". "this guy is almost unbeatable"

And it gets better: "He is selling the slow clumsy look as a deception technique. He does it to bait his opponents into opening up. I didn't make this up. Ray arcel said this" (LOL)

And my personal favourite: "a cunning mastery of punching technique"... seldom have I laughed this hard!
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Rocky caused Nat to expand his original list of 6 from 1953.

Last I checked being the top 10 of any category is a distinct honour, something you seemingly snarfed down wif your frenchfried snails...ugh...
          Tenth out of 24 is middle of the pack you fool! Fleischer did not expand the list to ten to specifically accommodate Marciano he extended it to accommodate all the weight divisions.

"As I have had it listed in The Ring Record Book for some years, my all-time rating of heavyweights is as follows: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis, 7. Sam Langford, 8. Gene Tunney, 9. Max Schmeling, 10. Rocky Marciano.

I started the annual ranking of heavyweights in the 1953 with only six listed: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis.

In later years I found it necessary to expand the ratings in all classes to top 10, with these top listings: heavyweights, Jack Johnson; light heavies, Kid McCoy; middleweights, Stan Ketchel; welters, Joe Walcott; lightweights, Joe Gans; feathers, Terry McGovern; bantams, George Dixon; flyweights, Jimmy Wilde."Nat Fleischer
          Try and refrain from telling these silly outright lies,they are easily detectable.​
          Last edited by Ivich; 03-26-2024, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

If you watch Marciano miss, this guy does not pull punches at all. Pulling punches as in, use the pulling muscles. HeâÂÂs completely shut them off so all his punches sail through freely. Lastly is leverage, with a low center of gravity, short legs and long torso housing a strong heart and short thick limbs means by way of physics this guy can hit hard. Its all about leverage. Try moving a fridge with out stretched arms vs being able to hug it close. Leverage.

he does some very clever things in the ring in regards to his style. He sells an easy slow sweeping headmovement to lull his oponents into thinking he is some slow easy to hit target. But he isnâÂÂt, and nobody can find footage of him eating punches like Frazier does its because he never did. He is selling the slow clumsy look as a deception technique. He does it to bait his opponents into opening up. I didnât make this up. Ray arcel said this.

so the biggest thing rocky has to overcome is closing the distance. Because once inside nobody has a chance against a dude w 67 inch reach (thats got heavyweight power). So what does he do? Well heâÂÂs only 5âÂÂ10 so he crouches down to 5 ft 3. If you are over 6 feet, punching down suddenly gets very uncomfortable. This is why Marciano never got out boxed. Because he wouldnâÂÂt box! His opponents even echoed this saying all he ever wanted to do was get close to you and beat the dog**** out of you.

He got on the plane because it was free! lol
            Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

So you are saying he only fought over 12 rounds once, vs. a light heavyweight going the distance of 15 rounds. Do I have the right? Just checking!

Dempsey was a young man ( age 32 ) and out the less than 3 month for the rematch with Tunney after nearly being ko'd by Sharkey

Sharkey was complaining of the low blow to the ref when Dempsey took the opportunity to land the KO blow. Protect yourself at all time, right? Even when you are hit with a low blow and talking to the ref.

He did KO Brennan in 12 but Brennan was the average to below average contender of the times who beat? He lost often vs. the best the fought and eight different men beat him!

- Box rec

I have posted before that Dempsey was in fact behind in the fight. Do you watch any film?

Sounds like Dempsey has his hands full, right?

These two title defenses show Dempsey being suspect in the chin department and rather foul prone don't they? YES they do,

Tunney won 18 or 19 for 20 Rounds vs Dempsey. He owned him.

On the fight of Marciano vs Ali, I give Rocky a shot, say about 35% chance of victory IF both men were in shape and their prime.
              I bought a Dempsey compilation of fights in the 60's before you were even hatched .
              NOBODY CARES ABOUT WHOM YOU PICK TO WIN A FIGHT BETWEEN DEMPSEY AND MARCIANO
              THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MARCIANO & ALI AND THEIR COMPUTER FIGHT!

Comment

Tenth out of 24 is middle of the pack you fool! Fleischer did not expand the list to ten to specifically accommodate Marciano he extended it to accommodate all the weight divisions.

"As I have had it listed in The Ring Record Book for some years, my all-time rating of heavyweights is as follows: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis, 7. Sam Langford, 8. Gene Tunney, 9. Max Schmeling, 10. Rocky Marciano.

I started the annual ranking of heavyweights in the 1953 with only six listed: 1. Jack Johnson, 2. Jim Jeffries, 3. Bob Fitzsimmons, 4. Jack Dempsey, 5. James J. Corbett, 6. Joe Louis.

In later years I found it necessary to expand the ratings in all classes to top 10, with these top listings: heavyweights, Jack Johnson; light heavies, Kid McCoy; middleweights, Stan Ketchel; welters, Joe Walcott; lightweights, Joe Gans; feathers, Terry McGovern; bantams, George Dixon; flyweights, Jimmy Wilde."Nat Fleischer
                Try and refrain from telling these silly outright lies,they are easily detectable.​
                - - Top 10 heavy, fool. stick to U French Farce cuisine.

Comment

- - Top 10 heavy, fool. stick to U French Farce cuisine.
                  Top ten heavy out of 24 candidates,and that was in1971
                  Since then we have had, among others;
                  Foreman
                  Holyfield
                  Holmes
                  Bowe
                  Tyson
                  Lewis
                  Wlad
                  Vitali
                  Fury
                  Usyk

Think Marciano would not be displaced by some of these?

Comment

Top ten heavy out of 24 candidates,and that was in1971
                    Since then we have had, among others;
                    Foreman
                    Holyfield
                    Holmes
                    Bowe
                    Tyson
                    Lewis
                    Wlad
                    Vitali
                    Fury
                    Usyk

Think Marciano would not be displaced by some of these?
                    - - Nat added his heavies in the order that they retired. Nat didn't rate Ali before Frazier 1 and certainly not after, but Ali most certainly would be behind his top ten.

Basic math 101......

Comment

- - Nat added his heavies in the order that they retired. Nat didn't rate Ali before Frazier 1 and certainly not after, but Ali most certainly would be behind his top ten.

Basic math 101......
                      BS out of the then 24 champs there had been , Marciano only scraped in at no10 if Fleischer was around now ,with the addition of
                      Bowe
                      Holyfield
                      Lewis
                      Tyson
                      Fury
                      Usyk
                      Wlad
                      Vitali
                      Holmes

Marciano would not be ranked!

Comment

Working...