No announcement yet.

Vitali Klitschko vs George Foreman FULL FIGHT WRITE UP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Naming beat poets whose names you cannot spell in an effort to impress, is the very definition of,

"hoist with your own petard".
    Queenie first learned about onomatopoeia when someone broke up whiskey bottle over his head
    nathan sturley max baer Ivich Ivich like this.

Comment

• A thing I really hate . . .

I went to the Wikipedia page Jab and Z were arguing over and I noted that when Vitali RTD with a torn rotator cuff Larry Merchant remarked; "He doesn't have the heart of a champion."

I tore my rotator cuff once (playing a stupid pick-up game of volleyball of all things) and my God I could not place pressure on my arm for three solid months, and that was with therapy. It hurts like hell.

I remember F-ing Ferdi Pacheco, when Gerald McCellan suddenly took a knee, saying the same damn thing. "He has no heart."

Sometimes I want to reach through my TV screen and bitch slap these announcers.
      Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 03-28-2024, 05:00 PM.
      nathan sturley max baer likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
        A thing I really hate . . .

I went to the Wikipedia page Jab and Z were arguing over and I noted that when Vitali RTD with a torn rotator cuff Larry Merchant remarked; "He doesn't have the heart of a champion."

I tore my rotator cuff once (playing a stupid pick-up game of volleyball of all things) and my God I could not place pressure on my arm for three solid months, and that was with therapy. It hurts like hell.

I remember F-ing Ferdi Pacheco, when Gerald McCellan suddenly took a knee, saying the same damn thing. "He has no heart."

Unjust criticism. Just getting in the ring takes heart. But it's still a bad look not seeking the rematch and letting his brother fight him instead when he fought just a month after Wlad-Byrd. Vits was a tough guy, but he is still overrated in my opinion because of the fighters he chose to fight instead of letting his brother take the harder fights. Wlad was boring after his loss to Brewster, but he was the better fighter, and fought much better comp than Vits. Jmo.
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Unjust criticism. Just getting in the ring takes heart. But it's still a bad look not seeking the rematch and letting his brother fight him instead when he fought just a month after Wlad-Byrd. Vits was a tough guy, but he is still overrated in my opinion because of the fighters he chose to fight instead of letting his brother take the harder fights. Wlad was boring after his loss to Brewster, but he was the better fighter, and fought much better comp than Vits. Jmo.
          Buddy McGirt fought Whitaker with a torn rotator cuff.
          Liston,Abraham,Ali K Finnegan went the distance in fights with broken jaws.
          Danny Williams dislocated his arm in a fight,continued and ko'd his opponent.
          No professional fighter is a coward,but each has his own pain threshold and it is their prerogative to decide when that has been reached.
          JAB5239 JAB5239 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Queenie first learned about onomatopoeia when someone broke up whiskey bottle over his head
            He obviously believes he is witty and funny,but the only amusing thing about him is precisely that totally misguided belief.
            billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

i agree. it even happened after haye vs klitschko haye said his broken toe made it impossible to fire shots from that pain, i have broken my toe and boy did everyone hear about it. the pain is immense every time i stepped. imagine a shoulder the pain you'd be in and you are not allowed to take strong painkillers as they are banned in sport.
              even when dubouis quit recently with his eye damage there was the same warrior comments and i always think how nasty those comments are as it is them that have to go around blind for the rest of their lives not us watching.
              Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

The first was a dead link, nothing there. Wiki? Really? Where was that, I don't recall it.
                Does this like work, Cowboy?

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/b...2#post32213776

Time to man up and admit a mistake, Byrd was ring magazine raked when he fight Vitali.

BY CLIFF ROLD
                Published Thu May 07, 2020, 01:30 AM EDT
                A deep dive through the career of Wladimir completed, the page turns to the elder of the impressive family duo.

It was a career cut short and then reimagined for Vitali Klitschko. Regarded far and wide as the best heavyweight in the world at the end of 2004, a series of injury issues caused multiple delays in a planned mandatory defense against former heavyweight champion Hasim Rahman in 2005. Following a knee surgery, an exasperated Vitali announced he was hanging up the gloves.

In the only two losses of his career to that point, his body had let him down. It appeared his body had let him down for good.

Three years later, with almost four years between fights, Vitali Klitschko challenged once-defeated Sam Peter for the WBC crown. It was the beginning of an intriguing second act.

Before arriving at that dramatic scene, and what followed, let’s start with…

The Tale of the Tape

Born: July 19, 1971

Height: 6’7

Hailed From: Kiev, Ukraine

Turned Professional: November 16, 1996 (KO2 Tony Bradham)

Record: 45-2, 41 KO, 2 KOBY

Record in Title Fights: 15-2, 12 KO, 2 KOBY

Lineal World Titles: None

Title Reigns: WBO Heavyweight (1999-2000, 2 Defenses); WBC/Ring Magazine Heavyweight (2004-05, 1 Defense); WBC Heavyweight (2008-13, 9 Defenses)

Entered Ring Magazine Ratings: October 1999 (#8 – Heavyweight; Cover Date - February 2000)

Last Ring Magazine Rating: August 2013 (#1 – Heavyweight; Cover Date November 2013)

Current/Former Lineal World Champions Faced: Lennox Lewis TKO by 6; Shannon Briggs UD12

Current/Former Alphabet Titlists Faced: Herbie Hide KO2; Chris Byrd RTD by 9; Orlin Norris KO1; Corrie Sanders TKO8; Sam Peter RTD8; Juan Carlos Gomez TKO9; Tomasz Adamek TKO10

Record Against Current/Former Champions/Titlists Faced: 7-2, 6 KO, 2 KOBY

Accomplishments

Vitali had an accomplished amatuer career, including a silver medal in the 1995 World Championships for Ukraine after a loss in the final to Russian Alexei Levin. Expected to be his nation’s super heavyweight of the 1996 Olympic team, Vitali was suspended for a banned substance violation. Wladimir would assume the slot on the team, defeating Levin among others en route to the gold medal.

Klitschko’s first professional gold came via the WBO’s heavyweight belt with a knockout of Herbie Hide in 1999. Vitali made two defenses before retiring on his stool with an injury against Chris Byrd in 2000.

Vitali won five in a row to earn a WBC mandatory position to challenge Lennox Lewis, losing on a cut after six rounds but launching himself to greater acclaim. Following the retirement of Lewis, Klitschko would claim the vacant WBC belt and Ring Magazine title with an eighth round knockout of Corrie Sanders. Klitschko would defend once before his first retirement.

Resuming his career in October 2008, Vitali forced a surrender from Sam Peter after eight rounds to reclaim the WBC crown. He would defend the belt nine times before retiring again in 2013. Since 2014, Vitali has fought in a different arena, serving as the mayor of Kiev, Ukraine. Vitali was elected to the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2018.

Among a sample of outside the ring honors, Klitschko was named as or in the following:
                • Ring Magazine Comeback of the Year - 2008
                • International Boxing Research Organization All-Time Heavyweight #19 - 2019

Competition Faced

Capturing international attention with a lengthy knockout streak to start his career, Klitschko knocked out Hide in two for the WBO honors. Two defenses, also inside the route, ran his record to 27-0, 27 KO, before the Byrd defeat.

Again using the Ring Magazine rankings as a reasonable gauge of Vitali’s professional years, the below are the men who were ranked in the top ten when Klitschko faced them. Unlike the evaluation of Wladimir, there are no TBRB rankings included as they did not exist during Vitali’s active career. The ranking provided for each foe represents the most recent in Ring’s print edition prior to Klitschko facing them.
                • 04/01/2000 - RTD by 9 Chris Byrd (#10 at Heavyweight)
                • 06/21/2003 - TKO by 6 Lennox Lewis (Champion at Heavyweight)
                • 04/24/2004 - TKO8 Corrie Sanders (#3 at Heavyweight)
                • 12/11/2004 - TKO8 Danny Williams (#9 at Heavyweight)
                • 10/11/2008 - RTD8 Sam Peter (#2 at Heavyweight)
                • 03/21/2009 - TKO9 Juan Carlos Gomez (#9 at Heavyweight)
                • 09/26/2009 - RTD10 Chris Arreola (#6 at Heavyweight)
                • 12/12/2009 - UD12 Kevin Johnson (#10 at Heavyweight)
                • 09/10/2011 - TKO10 Tomasz Adamek (#2 at Heavyweight)

One can make a case for other quality wins not found in Ring’s top ten. Hide, whose only loss prior to Klitschko came against Riddick Bowe, could have had a case to be rated on the fringes in 1999. Kirk Johnson had been rated as high as eighth early in 2003 but had slipped out of the top ten by the time he lost to Vitali in December of that year. Like Povetkin for Wladimir, Vitali foe Manuel Charr is not regarded as a genuine former titlist as his heavyweight belt came only as the WBA sub-variety.

While light on contenders faced prior to the Lewis bout, Vitali faced six in a row across the end of his first act and start of his second, including four straight beginning with Peter. Peter had risen to be regarded, by Ring and many others, as the next best heavyweight in the class after Wladimir in 2008. From his win over Hide through the end of his career, Vitali handed six men their first career defeat, including 2004 Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist Odlanier Solis.

Following his win over Kevin Johnson, Vitali’s opposition declined for most of the remainder of his reign with the exception of the bout with Adamek in 2011. Adamek, a former light heavyweight and cruiserweight titlist, won six in a row at heavyweight to earn a shot at Vitali’s WBC belt. Adamek suffered the first of what would be only three stoppage defeats in a 59-fight career.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

At the very least somebody should explain to him you don't s*** out your mouth and eat through your anus
                  i like queeny. i know he winds people up but don't we all at times! place would be a lot duller without him.
                  billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

• Originally posted by max baer View Post

i like queeny. i know he winds people up but don't we all at times! place would be a lot duller without him.
                    He makes a great kickball!!
                    nathan sturley max baer billeau2 billeau2 like this.

Comment

- - Ferdie got too much of Ali's detonating ego dust rubbed into him.

Only good boxing announcer was Don Dunphy who got his start in live ringside radio. In spite of having to talk nonstop about ring action to listeners, he was smart enough to realize viewers of TV could see the action, and only butted in when perhaps the fighters was hurt or running out of gas for nuance purposes. He never yakked incessantly over the fight or fighters like modern airheads do thinking they are the star of the show starting with loony Howie.

My laptop is always muted for fights to avoid their idiotic distractions which is a shame because I would like to hear the crowd noise, punches that the judges hear, all doable still with an announcer mute option.

The best fighter announcers were Big George, Ken Norton, and Sean Grady of all people. Most boxers make lousy announcers as critics of Wart and Tim Bradley will testify. Larry Holmes and Sugar Ray Leonard were run off the AOL board with their nonsense as another comparison.

Comment

Working...
                      X