Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Minimum Number Of Fights To Be Considered An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me it's more about the fighters they beat over the number of fights.

Sugar Ray Leonard didn't have a large number of fights but he Beat Hearns, Duran Hagler, and Benitez. That in itself makes him an all time great as well as the number of top fighters he beat.
    Last edited by joseph5620; 12-04-2023, 09:31 PM.
    Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

[QUOTE=The D3vil;n32093068]Wow, that's a great question.

I hate to be that guy, but the answer is "it depends"

It depends on whether you mean an ATG for a certain weight class or a P4P ATG

Probably, the ATG P4P fighter with the least amount of fights is Sugar Ray Leonard, who had 40.

Oscar De La Hoya had 45

I think Salvador Sanchez had 44?

So, I guess the answer to P4P ATG is 40?

But, I will say that Vasyl Lomachenko was pretty close to being seen as a P4P ATG in like his 14th, 15th fight.

If he had say (god forbid) passed away fighting in Ukraine before the Haney fight, he would probably have been the guy winning all kinds of mythical matchups against everybody from 126-135 & be considered a top 40-50 P4P level fighter.

Now, to be P4P ATG at a certain weight class is another story whatsoever

To be considered P4P in one of the original 8 weight classes takes a lot because you've got 140 years of fighters you're competing with.

The guys who I can think of with the smallest amounts of fights, who are considered ATGs at an original weight class would probably be Michael Spinks with 32 fights, most of those at 175

At the newer weight classes, I think Usyk was considered by most the 2nd greatest Cruiser ever after Holyfield with less than 20 fights.

Loma's probably considered an ATG at 130 with less than 20 fights as well.

So, it's complicated[/Q]

I hadn't realized Spinks had that few fights.
      Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

I am going with the number 25. Spinks did it in 32 fights withn his division, and I think it could be done even more spectacularly. I feel there is time to show everything in 25 fights. But sometimes the telltale weakness does not show up until later, as in Roy Jones case. All he had to do was retire after Ruiz, but we got the truth instead.
        Ivich Ivich likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
          I am going with the number 25. Spinks did it in 32 fights withn his division, and I think it could be done even more spectacularly. I feel there is time to show everything in 25 fights. But sometimes the telltale weakness does not show up until later, as in Roy Jones case. All he had to do was retire after Ruiz, but we got the truth instead.
          - - Only thing wrong with Roy is having Maxie Jellymon feIate his record and thus hanging on too long for the inevitable downfall after near 50 fights of near perfection.

Same deal w/IronMike…

Comment

Working...
          X