Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Minimum Number Of Fights To Be Considered An ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is The Minimum Number Of Fights To Be Considered An ATG?

I always give my own opinion later, but I do assume the number is greater than 10. How many fights are required to reach this highest rank (ATG) that exists?
    Bundana Bundana likes this.

Hmm... interesting question!

I think, it's difficult to come up with an actual number... but I also think it would be hard to find someone with no more than 10 fights, that we could call an ATG.

I will be looking forward to the opinion of other posters.

Comment

Atleast 7 title fights.

Comment

It's very conditional on the results I would think.

7 epic wins over 7 top P4P champions, no losses, a 10-0 KB and MMA title winning crossover and a 230-0 amateur record culminating in Olympic games gold.......um, 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

I always give my own opinion later, but I do assume the number is greater than 10. How many fights are required to reach this highest rank (ATG) that exists?
          The problem is the criteria for an ATG is subjective and varies from person to person.
          A little while ago Lomachenko was being talked of as an ATG.Kovalev was being talked of as a great fighter,for me neither qualifies.
          So,I think the question is unanswerable.
          Hustle Hustle likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
            The problem is the criteria for an ATG is subjective and varies from person to person.
            A little while ago Lomachenko was being talked of as an ATG.Kovalev was being talked of as a great fighter,for me neither qualifies.
            - - Loma is an all time great fighter, but he's got some 300 fights. He's old and aging out of fighting in a corrupt era where he has been robbed a couple of times in professional ranks because he embarrasses modern fighters much like Francis embarrassed Blubber.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Loma is an all time great fighter, but he's got some 300 fights. He's old and aging out of fighting in a corrupt era where he has been robbed a couple of times in professional ranks because he embarrasses modern fighters much like Francis embarrassed Blubber.
              He might have deserved the win against Salido ,but Haney and Lopez beat him clearly imo.he stayed amateur too long ,but that's on him.I don't give plaudits for what might have been.
              Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post
                If everyone did not have a different opinion there would be no reason to ask. Anyone can state an opinion. I didn't ask for a definite answer. Like you said, sometimes when the career is not extended enough you can get fooled. I have had to take people off before. I don't care what other criteria people include with the number of fight. Like Pep said, it somewhat depends on results too. ATGs don't generally lose often. We can assume someone even under consideration as an ATG has pretty good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

If everyone did not have a different opinion there would be no reason to ask. Anyone can state an opinion. I didn't ask for a definite answer. Like you said, sometimes when the career is not extended enough you can get fooled. I have had to take people off before. I don't care what other criteria people include with the number of fight. Like Pep said, it somewhat depends on results too. ATGs don't generally lose often. We can assume someone even under consideration as an ATG has pretty good results.
                  I don't disagree with anything you have said,I just don't believe you can put a ball park figure on it nor on the definition of all time greatness.Each will have their own idea.I'm pretty sparing with the word great to start with, others may well be more generous.
                  Bundana Bundana likes this.

Comment

Let's try it another way, for grins. Literally you are saying there is no lower limit; you cannot give such a number because it is different for everyone. That literally means a boxer could be considered an ATG after one fight.

As for ill-defined terms--we should not suddenly quit using boxing jargon because a lot of it is loosely defined. We got used to it. We do it all the time. All of us. Don't suddenly become a lawyer on me. Each person on here knows what they themselves mean by ATG. I am not asking for an answer derived from a consistent statute we all agree on to the minute detail.

I have complete confidence that collectively our definitions are close enough to make things sensible and statistically group like data on a Bell curve towards the center. I am curious how the answers themselves would group.

So you see, there is an answer--your answer, my answer, his answer, Ted's answer...

There is an answer because you already know what the ill-defined concepts mean to you. That is all you need. Your answer exists already. What is it? Is it just one fight?

Comment

Working...
                    X