No announcement yet.

Mike Weaver and the art of extension: A truly underrated puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Weaver and the art of extension: A truly underrated puncher

Weaver had an interesting career. He is truly a fighter that is better than reflected in his record. Many people feel he was grossly mismanaged his first five fights, and like a lot of fighters he fought on past his twilight years. Despite a record of 41 wins, and 18 losses, with 28 knock outs, if we subtract his early misteps, and his later fights after Carl the truth williams we get 36 fights, with 26 wins 10 losses and with 18 Ko's (including TKO's) for a 70 KO percent.

He came up in a strong rush of the Post Ali larry Holmes division, almost beat Holmes, and ran smack dab into the very talented, often technical fighters in the eighties, guys like Thomas and Cooper, and should never have fought in the early ninties.

If you watch Weaver's punching technique he always had incredible extension on his shots. He also hit hard and had a wicked Left Hook. Weaver caught some decent fighters... He beat John Tate at his best, and handed Gerry Coetze his first KO loss. But for a late start, and having the experience of coming up in a two strong heavyweight divisions, Weaver might have been much more highly regarded. He holds his golves outward, I could never figure out why he did so lol, because he was never much of a parrying fighter and this position allows a fighter to parry.

Watch the extension he gets on his shots, he catches his man at the sweet spot, at the end of the shot many times. beautiful form! He may have one of the premier left hooks in boxing, and his right, his jab also caught his man at the end of the shot. His punches were not as straight as Louis, but his ability to set them up properly, was excellent. Also never saw a fighter since Louis so capable of hitting the body in combination with the head so intelligently. He had power in both hands as well.

https://youtu.be/d_ue_Z_4gyY
    Last edited by billeau2; 11-21-2023, 04:44 PM.

I always disliked him because I felt he was lazy in the ring. Either that or he was confused a lot and couldn't figure out what to do next. I always thought he could do more in there but wouldn't for some reason. He didn't actually win the Tate fight, he won the last ten seconds of it. If not for luck he would have lost a wide decision, as I remember it from long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
      I always disliked him because I felt he was lazy in the ring. Either that or he was confused a lot and couldn't figure out what to do next. I always thought he could do more in there but wouldn't for some reason. He didn't actually win the Tate fight, he won the last ten seconds of it. If not for luck he would have lost a wide decision, as I remember it from long ago.
      Winning by KO is the ultimate heavyweight victory, does not matter when it occurs. He had slow feet... He really did.

Comment

giphy.gif.............
        billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Weaver is an exceptionally nice man. Totally genuine; and what he accomplished, even with that spotty up & down record, puts him near the top when talking 80's heavyweights. He was a throwback. When "Hercules" was on, well; he was hard to beat. He was one of the few heavyweight bodybuilder types who could actually fight, and even today, at 72, there's NO mistaking Mike as an athlete.

Great post, sound observations all-around. As usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
            Weaver is an exceptionally nice man. Totally genuine; and what he accomplished, even with that spotty up & down record, puts him near the top when talking 80's heavyweights. He was a throwback. When "Hercules" was on, well; he was hard to beat. He was one of the few heavyweight bodybuilder types who could actually fight, and even today, at 72, there's NO mistaking Mike as an athlete.

Fully agree with you Wisp.
            Willow The Wisp Willow The Wisp likes this.

Comment

- - Why you assume he a body builder? Some folks born more heavily muscled than others, or more heavily blubbered, or more finely skinny than others.

Comment

Guy is an example of when one is looking carefully at great hitters, not to only go for the obvious low hanging fruit... I mean yeah Julian jackson, McCallum, and so many others especially in the middle divisions. But There are guys with records and KO percentages that do not always indicate their punching ability. Weaver fought in two divisions really, the pre Ali, Holmes era and the eighties... both strong and both with a lot of guys with fantastic chins. If one were to take the Acorn, Lyle, and Weaver, among others, and put them in today I believe they would be very successful.

Weaver had slow feet, much as Louis is accused of... Both men seemed able to catch their guy.

Comment

Working...
                X