Greb real name and some did you knows

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greb real name and some did you knows

GREB, Edward Henry ("Harry")

(b. 6 June 1894 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; d.22 October 1926 in Atlantic City, New Jersey), professional boxer who won both the world middle-weight and American light heavyweight titles in the 1920s.

Greb was born Edward Henry Berg to Pious and Anne Berg in a Pittsburgh street car on the corner of Fitch and Dauphin Streets. Legend has it that he was a fighter from the start, giving his mother an inadvertent black eye when he was just a day old. He grew up in a strict household to parents who, according to record, never went to see him fight in the ring.

After winning his first five amateur bouts, Berg was signed to a professional boxing contract by James M. "Red" Mason. He fought his first pro match under the name Harry Greb (reversing the letters of his last name) on 29 May 1913, a six-round no-decision against Frank Kirkwood.​

>> So Edward Berg as he was born and changed his pro name to Harry Greb. Harry which was a Jewish first name was his stage name, and was his last name Berg was changed to Greb. He did need to be fighter. He father made some money.

Gene Tunney referred to him as a Jewish fighter . You have to take Tunney word on that one. He was a well read guy and obviously kew him as he fought him five times and was his pal bearer. The Jews had quite a few boxing champions back in the day. In fact the Jew's originally put Greb in their hall of fame for athletes. So was he Jewish or not? Greb was not a religious type of fellow. He lived fast, chased dames and died young.

I am open for all opinions on this topic.

I am not questioning the validity, I'm just curious, what is this source?

Lots of Henrys go by Harry, I don't think much of that at all.

Berg would be a fine Jewish name but would only allude to a Jewish father, or, a Jewish patrilineal line.

Which is fine in most cases. I don't personally see a mixed person as a lesser of any of their mix. IMO, a black/white is still a black man and a white man.

That said, I believe to the Jews themselves it's actually mothers who create new Jews, not fathers. Since like 10 AD or some such very early AD year.

So, is Greb a Jew?

Kinda depends on how you mean, doesn't it? Your own personal perspective on ethnicity, descent, and religion.

Religiously speaking maybe Greb didn't practice or identify as a Jew and so he would tell you he is not a Jew, but, from a practicing Jew's perspective, if his mother is Jewish then they still claim him and nothing he can do will have them not claim him. Since this is a religious belief I think it best to speak to it respectfully even if you really disagree strongly.

In ethnic terms, I am Latino, I know all about respecting the mother's line and ****, but still, to me, if your pops is an X you are too. But again, a practicing Jew would tell you he is not Jewish because his mother is not Jewish. Even though we're just talking about it in genetic terms ... again ... religion so probably be nice about it. Also, if your a purist(like pure blood flirting with racist type) then he needs both mom and dad otherwise you call him a half Jew at best.

However, in modern times we do this self identification ****. Anyone can be anything they like. No one seems able to tell me what's too absurd to be a self identification. So, Harry is whoever and whatever he says he is. I don't know for sure but I think he said not a Jew ... so not a Jew.

Finally, you my friend, Dr. Z, are canceled. Because you outed his birth name instead of pretending his pretend name is his real name. That's a no-no and the SJWs is gonna git yew.
    Last edited by Marchegiano; 09-08-2023, 03:18 PM. Reason: I made the mother bull more clear. At first it read like it's my opinion rather than sharing how Jews view Jews.
    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
      I am not questioning the validity, I'm just curious, what is this source?

Lots of Henrys go by Harry, I don't think much of that at all.

Berg would be a fine Jewish name but would only allude to a Jewish father, or, a Jewish patrilineal line.

Which is fine in most cases. I don't personally see a mixed person as a lesser of any of their mix. IMO, a black/white is still a black man and a white man.

That said, I believe to the Jews themselves it's actually mothers who create new Jews, not fathers. Since like 10 AD or some such very early AD year.

So, is Greb a Jew?

Kinda depends on how you mean, doesn't it? Your own personal perspective on ethnicity, descent, and religion.

Religiously speaking maybe Greb didn't practice or identify as a Jew and so he would tell you he is not a Jew, but, from a practicing Jew's perspective, if his mother is Jewish then they still claim him and nothing he can do will have them not claim him. Since this is a religious belief I think it best to speak to it respectfully even if you really disagree strongly.

In ethnic terms, I am Latino, I know all about respecting the mother's line and ****, but still, to me, if your pops is an X you are too. But again, a practicing Jew would tell you he is not Jewish because his mother is not Jewish. Even though we're just talking about it in genetic terms ... again ... religion so probably be nice about it. Also, if your a purist(like pure blood flirting with racist type) then he needs both mom and dad otherwise you call him a half Jew at best.

However, in modern times we do this self identification ****. Anyone can be anything they like. No one seems able to tell me what's too absurd to be a self identification. So, Harry is whoever and whatever he says he is. I don't know for sure but I think he said not a Jew ... so not a Jew.

I am not an expert on ancestry. By the looks if Greb was at least half Jewish. Or if you prefer Eastern European. The sources are encyclopedia.com and Gene Tunney.

From 1910 to 1940, there were twenty-six Jewish world champions, and during the 1920s and 1930s, almost one-third of all boxers were Jewish. I did not know this until recently. I have been researching the 1920's and boxing. and this came up.

Whatever he was, Harry Greb was a great fighter.

Comment

There was no doubt who your mother was.

Always some doubt who dad was. Ask Joseph! **

That's why so many bastards failed when they tried to claim their father's throne.

It's why Queens were beheaded when caught cheating.

** Robert Graves, I Claudius has an adviser inform Emporer Claudius that the recently executed rebel, Jesus, was likely the bastard child of a Greek merchant who seduced Mary. In an odd way it was a compliment to Jesus, suggesting that they thought him bright and therefore must have been a Greek. The Roman's were queer for all things Greek. Didn't think much of the Jews.
        nathan sturley max baer likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
          There was no doubt who your mother was.

Always some doubt who dad was. Ask Joseph! **

That's why so many bastards failed when they tried to claim their father's throne.

It's why Queens were beheaded when caught cheating.

** Robert Graves, I Claudius has an adviser inform Emporer Claudius that the recently executed rebel, Jesus, was likely the bastard child of a Greek merchant who seduced Mary. In an odd way it was a compliment to Jesus, suggesting that they thought him bright and therefore must have been a Greek. The Roman's were queer for all things Greek. Didn't think much of the Jews.
          There is a lot of speculation about Greb's ancestry , one source.Boxing News says he took the ring name Harry in honour of a deceased bother named Harry.
          Since his first name was Edward, why did he not call himself Ted or Teddy?
          I've seen two sources say he was born with the surname Berg and lots saying Greb was his real name,I've also seen him referred to as of Dutch heritage. Pious his Fathers name is a derivative from the latin "dutiful" hence several Popes being named or adopting it.
          I think it highly unlikely anyone of Jewish ancestry would name their child Pious.Anne possibly derived from Hannah is a name with hebraic connotations,but it also has latin derivatives.

Wilipeadia says Greb's Father PIus was a German immigrant and his Mother Anne, known as Annie was of German descent.

Why anyone would give any credence to Gene Tunney's opinion on the matter is beyond me?

New research done this Saturday morning!

Edward Henry Greb was his real name, he was of German parentage and a Catholic.
          His parents were Catholic,and were buried in a Catholic Cemetary Christ Our Redeemer in Pittsburgh.
          Harry Greb was buried in Calvary Catholic Cemetary also in Pittsburgh.

He did take the name of a deceased brother Harry as the link proves
          So guess what?
          Greb's Wife's name was Mildred Riley, presumably Irish Catholic?
          The site harrygreb.com states he carried a bible everywhere he went
          Greb was his real name. and he wasn't Jewish, he was Catholic!
          End Of!

Pius Greb (1860-1945) - Find a Grave Memorial

harry greb familymanphotopage

So Much Ado About Not Very Much At All!​​
          Last edited by Ivich; 09-09-2023, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

(b. 6 June 1894 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; d.22 October 1926 in Atlantic City, New Jersey), professional boxer who won both the world middle-weight and American light heavyweight titles in the 1920s.

Greb was born Edward Henry Berg to Pious and Anne Berg in a Pittsburgh street car on the corner of Fitch and Dauphin Streets. Legend has it that he was a fighter from the start, giving his mother an inadvertent black eye when he was just a day old. He grew up in a strict household to parents who, according to record, never went to see him fight in the ring.

After winning his first five amateur bouts, Berg was signed to a professional boxing contract by James M. "Red" Mason. He fought his first pro match under the name Harry Greb (reversing the letters of his last name) on 29 May 1913, a six-round no-decision against Frank Kirkwood.​

>> So Edward Berg as he was born and changed his pro name to Harry Greb. Harry which was a Jewish first name was his stage name, and was his last name Berg was changed to Greb. He did need to be fighter. He father made some money.

Gene Tunney referred to him as a Jewish fighter . You have to take Tunney word on that one. He was a well read guy and obviously kew him as he fought him five times and was his pal bearer. The Jews had quite a few boxing champions back in the day. In fact the Jew's originally put Greb in their hall of fame for athletes. So was he Jewish or not? Greb was not a religious type of fellow. He lived fast, chased dames and died young.

Roman Catholic Edward Henry Greb's birth certificate.

image.png

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Roman Catholic Edward Henry Greb's birth certificate.

image.png

I can't read that. Could you blow it up? The debate is, was Greb ethnicity Jewish. Many boxers changed their name back then. Many Jews had problems in Germany you know and changed their professional stage in the USA to be free of persecution. Maybe Greb was such a man.

Last edited by Dr. Z; 09-10-2023, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Greb probably got that forged birth certificate from the same black market as Obama.

There is only one true way to decide this issue.

Did Greb ever send anyone a 'dick pic' with his phone?

Seriously. I am under the impression if you legally change your name they DO NOT issue you a new 'birth certificate.' That portion of your life (pre-name change) stays legally intact.

Does anyone know if this is true or am I mistaken?

Maybe there is paper work out there that shows how Hagler went about it.

P.S. Actually a great find Ivich.
                billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
                  Greb probably got that forged birth certificate from the same black market as Obama.

There is only one true way to decide this issue.

Did Greb ever send anyone a 'dick pic' with his phone?

Seriously. I am under the impression if you legally change your name they DO NOT issue you a new 'birth certificate.' That portion of your life (pre-name change) stays legally intact.

Does anyone know if this is true or am I mistaken?

Maybe there is paper work out there that shows how Hagler went about it.

P.S. Actually a great find Ivich.
                  There is only one real way to find out... Did Greb have a taste for Herring fillets in cream sauce with onions? Did he like is corn beef on rye with a little mustard. My dad was a Jew and I know I am in at least some capacity, despite my mother being a gentile... I had a taste for Zabbars and would have probably preferred a White Fish Chub to mother's milk!

This method is not full proof... I know some Jews who actually eat their Knish with apple sauce! Heresay!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Z View Post

Pretty sure Greb is of German heritage. Gotta dig up the reference

Comment

Working...
                    X