Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old boxing tricks you don’t see anymore…

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
    Having the mob threaten to murder your opponent if they don't do business is something that's gone out of style too.
    What do you know about the mob and boxing? ...................Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      The solar plexus punch or “hitting the mark” is rarely emphasized anymore.

Perhaps it, and the heart punch, were more useful when lighter gloves were used or in the bare knuckle era.
      You definitely need a connection based on your hand, and the target area. With a bare hand one can use one knuckle and increase the Pounds per square inch, and even break off the Zyphoid process hook... a piece coming off the chest plate that looks and has a similar orientation as a tab on a dungeness or blue crab. Swinging a gloved hand and hitting this area just does not concentrate the force enough to do damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

And feints can be huge in trying to open a guy up defensively.

If you can sell them and get a guy to bite on it, the world becomes your oyster.

Use your eyes and notice his reactions, in between the exchanges formulate something working off of that feint. Then feint and drop it on him.

I was an in your face throwing punches as a pro. I thought about how I decided to fight that way. Being ultra-aggressive was simply liked by the crowds and that's how I fought.

Everybody prepares for fights to box, I prepared for a brawl, and made them in to one.

I'd challenge you to hit me and counter sharply, assuming that I was able to get out the way, or eat it if I wasn't. And then I'm right back on you. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.....etc. Until that bell rings.

I may have been on to something.

...............Rockin'
        There are a lot of advantages to fighting as a pressure fighter if one has the engine. Your defense is your offense, your ability to make sure the opponent does not set... This allows one to use a simplified defensive technique based on keeping the opponent going back, which benefits your offense as well. At this point, to incorporate fighting angles, counters, etc is very intuitive... As opposed to having to set a trap for a counter, and then having to get out of the way after you hit him, and switch modes...
        Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

There are a lot of advantages to fighting as a pressure fighter if one has the engine. Your defense is your offense, your ability to make sure the opponent does not set... This allows one to use a simplified defensive technique based on keeping the opponent going back, which benefits your offense as well. At this point, to incorporate fighting angles, counters, etc is very intuitive... As opposed to having to set a trap for a counter, and then having to get out of the way after you hit him, and switch modes...
          You know exactly what I was talking about.

Johnny gave me that destructive engine, but I had to earn it through gim busting my ass day after day after day,,,etc. I was in crazy good shape.

I saw Bronco at the Bundrage fight in Detroit, I met his pretty girlfriend and we got to talking. Him having been a former world champ I asked him what he thought about our many, many rounds that we boxed up at Galaxy, He said "The thing with you is you never stopped coming forward. I nail you with a shot and you're right back on me, I miss a shot and you were right back on me". Bronco was a tough guy to work with. Not only was he a south paw, with good power, but he was sharp as hell too. He's a super nice guy when not meeting him in-between the bells doe.

Those were the days...............Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 09-26-2023, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post

You know exactly what I was talking about.

Johnny gave me that destructive engine, but I had to earn it through gim busting my ass day after day after day,,,etc. I was in crazy good shape.

I saw Bronco at the Bundrage fight in Detroit, I met his pretty girlfriend and we got to talking. Him having been a former world champ I asked him what he thought about our many, many rounds that we boxed up at Galaxy, He said "The thing with you is you never stopped coming forward. I nail you with a shot and you're right back on me, I miss a shot and you were right back on me". Bronco was a tough guy to work with. Not only was he a south paw, with good power, but he was sharp as hell too. He's a super nice guy when not meeting him in-between the bells doe.

Those were the days...............Rockin'
            Rockin no one can take that away from you! You did earn that, and made real quality friends united in the same pursuits. Ultimately to have "won" to have "lost" is just a signpost to what is really important: To experience being at the top of an art, an endevour, a knowledge base... To even have the ability to spar against other fighters at the top of their game is something most will never experience.

back when I was training martial arts in the baltimore, Washington area there was always an overlap with guys that boxed... And when I started training in Philly, it was the same thing. So I was fortunate to run in circles with some decent fighters who trained in both disciplines. What is funny is in the streets at this time, kickboxing was not embraced so much... Instead little tricks, approaches that made karate techniques more practical were emphasized, and vice versa. The material coming out of that circle was incredible. So for example, karate guys, early on at least, some of them would fight in a stance where the front hand was down over the front leg, with the back hand chambered for a reverse punch. This was modified so the body was turned sideways, the chin was tucked behind the front shoulder and the back hand was brought from the hip over the chest... When someone attacked, they would use shuto chops instead of punches in a circular fashion to break opponent down, then the Gi could be grabbed so one could aim the reverse punch by pulling the person into the punch, and then the person could be swept. Guys would do this incredibly fast. You could variate it so you could catch and break their arm, hit them in the throat... kick them into the body with a mule kick...

One could also do essentially the same techniques with gloves, instead of circular chops, use the jab, hook punches and a right cross... So guys were using modified techniques that were effective but did not compromise boxing/karate skills. IMO this was so much better than turning karate into kick boxing: bad boxing and bad karate! lol.
            Rockin' Rockin' likes this.

Comment

Working...
            X