Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old boxing tricks you don’t see anymore…

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old boxing tricks you don’t see anymore…

1). Punching the tricep when an opponent jabs. Its an area that doesn’t get hit often and it is also the muscles used to fire the jab. Softening them up will make the opponent unable to throw a fast jab

2). punching the bicep. When they throw their left hook, hit his bicep. It is a vulnerable area and can’t take damage so it hurts. Prone to tearing

3). punching the heart. It has very little support in this area, a very hard punch can land there based on where it is located. Makes it sometimes impossible to breath

4). Double tapping. Hitting an opponent by throwing a fake/weak punch then throwing a real hard one in the exact same location. Its a clever trick to catch an opponent relaxed and in between breaths. Just recently disappeared from boxing. The original shoe shine could actually do this as well based on what Robinson did with it

5). bend at the waist but kick your ass out to counter balance yourself. Easiest and fastest way to move your head. Rarely seen anymore. See Archie Moore and Armstrong

6). jabs being thrown from the shoulder. The jab uses no other body movement to be fired outside of the muscles on the arms. Meaning it is fired from the shoulder, an arm punch. Fastest way to throw a jab and less tell. You could see Ali do this, where he fights in one rythm then switches to this jabbing method and gets on his bike. The timing shift is so dramatic he usually lands this jab 3-4 times before the opponent starts adjusting.

Please continue if you want to add to the list. I didn’t source mine but I can if you want me to.

Biceps and triceps punches are a matter of angle. Punches to the inside of the arm are more effective but harder to launch. It is also hard to see whether a punch to the arm was intentional or just comes with the territory.

Catch a man with his arm straight out and his elbow down, then uppercut that elbow. He will drop like a man hit in the liver, finished. Yet I have never seen a fight where I thought a man was intentionally going for the opponent's arms. Do you have any clear film shots of such intentional actions?

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post
      Biceps and triceps punches are a matter of angle. Punches to the inside of the arm are more effective but harder to launch. It is also hard to see whether a punch to the arm was intentional or just comes with the territory.

Catch a man with his arm straight out and his elbow down, then uppercut that elbow. He will drop like a man hit in the liver, finished. Yet I have never seen a fight where I thought a man was intentionally going for the opponent's arms. Do you have any clear film shots of such intentional actions?
      yeah max baer described it in a video somewhere. They asked him how to defend against a jab, and then he showed them to punch the tricep. There is also a video of Duran showing to punch in a weak spot right underneath the deltoid that destroys the arm and is painful thin area

Comment

I agree.

I was just thinking about why guys don't throw more "heart punches".

It even used to be a thing in pro wrestling.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          1). Punching the tricep when an opponent jabs. Its an area that doesnât get hit often and it is also the muscles used to fire the jab. Softening them up will make the opponent unable to throw a fast jab

2). punching the bicep. When they throw their left hook, hit his bicep. It is a vulnerable area and canât take damage so it hurts. Prone to tearing

3). punching the heart. It has very little support in this area, a very hard punch can land there based on where it is located. Makes it sometimes impossible to breath

4). Double tapping. Hitting an opponent by throwing a fake/weak punch then throwing a real hard one in the exact same location. Its a clever trick to catch an opponent relaxed and in between breaths. Just recently disappeared from boxing. The original shoe shine could actually do this as well based on what Robinson did with it

5). bend at the waist but kick your ass out to counter balance yourself. Easiest and fastest way to move your head. Rarely seen anymore. See Archie Moore and Armstrong

6). jabs being thrown from the shoulder. The jab uses no other body movement to be fired outside of the muscles on the arms. Meaning it is fired from the shoulder, an arm punch. Fastest way to throw a jab and less tell. You could see Ali do this, where he fights in one rythm then switches to this jabbing method and gets on his bike. The timing shift is so dramatic he usually lands this jab 3-4 times before the opponent starts adjusting.

Please continue if you want to add to the list. I didnât source mine but I can if you want me to.

Canelo seems to be using a lot of those punching to the arms tricks
          The D3vil The D3vil likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
            1). Punching the tricep when an opponent jabs. Its an area that doesnât get hit often and it is also the muscles used to fire the jab. Softening them up will make the opponent unable to throw a fast jab

2). punching the bicep. When they throw their left hook, hit his bicep. It is a vulnerable area and canât take damage so it hurts. Prone to tearing

Please continue if you want to add to the list. I didnât source mine but I can if you want me to.

Canelo tried to neutralise Bivol's jab like no 1. Half todays fighters can't even hook off the jab.Good examples.

Comment

Comment

- - Canelo obliterated Callum Smith bicep…

Comment

Originally posted by kara View Post

Canelo seems to be using a lot of those punching to the arms tricks
                  Yeah, he killed that British dude with those arm punches

Comment

Thats how Marciano did it. Just destroyed the arms and set an inhuman pace. Didn’t matter if you were faster or bigger than him, nobody would expect it. Turns out you don’t have to duck punches if your opponent can’t even throw them after a few rnds

Comment

Working...
                    X