Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earnie Shavers, hardest puncher of all times?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony was almost KOed in the first with a hard jab from Mercer, and Tony was like 200 pounds. Earnie never had a person basically running away from him because his shots were that hard, so Earnie didn't hit close to as hard as multiple guys from the 80s, let alone the 90s.

see how you shouldn't just believe in quotes? Watch the matches. Look at the reactions. Look at the punches that landed. Mercer landed 4 clean jabs in the 1st round and then 1 cross that dropped Tony real fast; that was the best punch, and that only took to exactly the time. In the first two minutes and 18 seconds, you won't find any match ever to drop anybody that fast from his cross, and like I said, you won't find anybody that small who basically had to run away just to survive his shots. Jerry, another basically lhw vs. a hw mercer, had to resort to not trading because his weight was too small. He hit Jerry too hard in the first at exactly 1 minute and 23 seconds. Jerry gets caught and is hurt.

ernie has never ever hit anybody that hard or easy in the first with those few shots made in the first. Should I name the multiple guys who not only tanked Earnie shots? It will all be flawed. When Jerry and Tony basically had to stay away and run because they were too small,being even grazed and in danger,taking fewer shots to fall,but foreman and earn the hit so-called harder? how when no match shows people they fought gave that same effect, and in the first at that.

Last edited by Ascended; 04-23-2024, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsonfalcon07 View Post
      Making a heavy bag move isn't an indication of power. Hitting so hard that the bag doesn't move is a much better indicator of power, because the power penetrates and does damage. If the bag moves, you're pushing the bag more than punching it. When you watch the best punchers do bag work, it's not swinging all around. Same deal when you're watching the hardest kickers work the bag. Bag only swings during things like push kicks. Anything with real force and speed will indent the bag at the point of impact with minimal movement otherwise.
      You may be making stuff up. Proof is real easy. Could that bag move more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDalYensrgs

Comment

Marciano is the hardest hitter of all time. Well on the highest level.

there is likely someone out there we don’t know who was never any good that hit the hardest with one shot.

Shavers probably get’s second.

I want to say Baer is probably underrated in this category, he’s got one of those strong Fitzsimmons builds, his shot looks deadly if he landed it right.

then Louis

and Lastly, Foreman.

I like to base it off what I see and what others have said.

Marciano get’s the number one spot because his knockouts of Walcott, Layne and Louis were simply put, devastating. I never saw Shavers ever sleep someone the way Marciano slept Lane. And whats crazy is Lane had a good chin. Layne was not moving for a considerable length if time - and his front row of teeth were embedded in his mouthpiece. Walcott is another fighter that got bludgeoned. These guys actually go down different he hits to hard. They are delayed, out before they hit the ground knockouts. Or in Charles case, out on his feet for almost 2 rounds. Before collapsing. These were extremely hard damaging punches. Ali himself said old Rocky hit extremely hard. Don Turner is on youtube. A man who trained Klitschko. He said he saw Marciano live, and that he hit even harder than Shavers.

everyone who fought both Shavers and Foreman said
        Shavers hit harder than George. So I think by that measure we can say shavers is the harder puncher before those 2.

Baer killed a man and his knock outs appear to be quite brutal.

Louis, when he lands his right the way he wants it, left men in a crumped heaps unconscious. Him and Rocky are the only ones I can think of that did this - though I attribute part of Louis ability to do this was also based on his timing and accuracy and not just raw power alone.

Foreman is very strong and heavy handed. Meaning even his “light” blows were hard. Due to his heavy armed build, he wasn’t able to set guys up as well as some of the others. when he connect on some lesser opponents with some of his hooks, they do collapse and in some cases got demod like Jose Roman. We can’t forget him sinking Frazier 6 times as well.
        mrbig1 mrbig1 likes this.

Comment

Wilder never knocked out a game opponent. He knocked them down (Fury) but not out.

who else did he fight? Nobody. His resume is a long list of unranked club fighters and bums. Fury doesn’t even have a good chin.

lastly, you can TELL he doesn’t hit as hard as these other guys just by watching. He doesn’t have great technique or leverage.

while still a great puncher no doubt. Just not close to the top.

remember Wilder has weighed as light as 212 and still looks blown up. So do not bring up size.

Comment

Originally posted by Slugfester View Post

You may be making stuff up. Proof is real easy. Could that bag move more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDalYensrgs
            You really don't understand what you're looking at, I see.

What Shavers did there, and what most of us do, is set the bag swinging, and practice movement and popping shots. The point is to simulate a moving opponent and practice moving your feet (and sometimes head; Canelo does that a lot) while throwing punches.

Heavy bag for power is a whole different story.

https://youtu.be/1HYX8d0JTSo?si=Gf5MKLjuEqVgFbBI

Look at how Bud hits at about 1:00. Think about how it's different from what he's doing at the beginning, and think about the purpose of each drill.

I could go into the physics behind the difference between a penetrating punch and a pushing punch, but at this point I'm not convinced you would understand it if you can't even tell the difference between the purposes for heavy bag drills.
            Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

One thing about Marciano. When he put someone on the canvas they stand there.

Comment

Liston broke peoples bones even with just hitting their guard he would wobble them or drop them
                Last edited by BigBear; 04-24-2024, 03:24 PM.
                Slugfester Slugfester likes this.

Comment

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMMb2pX9M/

I like to hit the bag like Rock. For hours. The way he does it really develops power.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
                    A couple of observations. 1. Ruiz didn't come close to knocking OUT Luis Ortiz. Indeed, a razor thin fight. 2. Julian Jackson didn't have heavyweight power, as he wasn't a heavyweight. 3. Woman are indeed attracted to power. Of course, we all knew that.
                    My stock answer generally makes mention of the usual suspects like Fulton, Dempsey, Godfrey, Baer, Louis, Murray, Marciano, Satterfield, Liston, Williams, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Tyson, etc.

However, someone mentioned that the pick should go to a very modern heavyweight who routinely blows away the bigger heavyweights of the current century; and that distinction belongs to Deontay Wilder exclusively.
                    43-2-1 with 42 knockouts, 8 years at the top of the profession, 10 title fight wins, Olympic medalist, 2nd best of his generation and a draw and 4 knockdowns scored againt the 1st best.
                    Among the most modern-day heavyweights, Wilder stands completely alone as the biggest hitter.

Like all fighters, Wilder receives plenty of undue criticism from fans who wouldn't have what it takes to step into a ring against someone they didn't know who's there to feed their family; but my perception of them all is that they commonly operate with considerably less boxing knowledge than they perceive themselves as having, which is an easy thing to spot.
                    Agree about Wilder, he is harder puncher than Shavers. Possibly the hardest hitter ever/

Comment

Originally posted by Willow The Wisp View Post
                      A couple of observations. 1. Ruiz didn't come close to knocking OUT Luis Ortiz. Indeed, a razor thin fight. 2. Julian Jackson didn't have heavyweight power, as he wasn't a heavyweight. 3. Woman are indeed attracted to power. Of course, we all knew that.
                      My stock answer generally makes mention of the usual suspects like Fulton, Dempsey, Godfrey, Baer, Louis, Murray, Marciano, Satterfield, Liston, Williams, Foreman, Shavers, Lyle, Tyson, etc.

However, someone mentioned that the pick should go to a very modern heavyweight who routinely blows away the bigger heavyweights of the current century; and that distinction belongs to Deontay Wilder exclusively.
                      43-2-1 with 42 knockouts, 8 years at the top of the profession, 10 title fight wins, Olympic medalist, 2nd best of his generation and a draw and 4 knockdowns scored againt the 1st best.
                      Among the most modern-day heavyweights, Wilder stands completely alone as the biggest hitter.

Like all fighters, Wilder receives plenty of undue criticism from fans who wouldn't have what it takes to step into a ring against someone they didn't know who's there to feed their family; but my perception of them all is that they commonly operate with considerably less boxing knowledge than they perceive themselves as having, which is an easy thing to spot.
                      Females are attracted to good looks and height, things out of one’s control.

Comment

Working...
                      X