No announcement yet.

Predictions of fights that have already happened

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predictions of fights that have already happened

pick any fight of the past that we know the outcome to, make a prediction as if you never had seen the fight before. Then go captain hindsight and explain why you were right or wrong. People can lie in this thread obviously, but I'm sure a few posters will be honest and find a use case.

I'll start with a fight (posted this in another thread)

Rocky Marciano vs Joe Walcott - I would have picked Walcott, knowing he could counter very hard and Rocky seemingly looks wide open at first glance. I would figure he gets countered too badly by Walcott who had a nack for hitting big targets. Also looking at the rocks opponents I would have further figured Walcott too much. In hindsight, Marciano gets in so close to his opponents they can't really hit him with any leverage, and his stamina and determination was immense.

Ali vs Frazier

After seeing ali in his fights prior, I would have picked Frazier based on styles. Frazier did win but he took a real beating getting it done. You watch the fight close enough it swings back and forth a lot. It was very close. Ali was riding a lot of the left hooks early on but the crowd was going off
    Last edited by them_apples; 04-14-2022, 11:42 AM.
    GhostofDempsey GhostofDempsey likes this.

I picked Hearns over Leonard in their first meeting. I had seen flaws in Leonard, not in Hearns.
    The first five rounds looked very much as I had anticipated.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    explain why you were right or wrong
    It was only after that fight that I had to acknowledge Sugar Ray’s greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
      I picked Hearns over Leonard in their first meeting. I had seen flaws in Leonard, not in Hearns.
      The first five rounds looked very much as I had anticipated.

It was only after that fight that I had to acknowledge Sugar Ray’s greatness.

For sure. Heart and stamina play a role

Comment

I thought for sure Barrera would beat Pacquiao. Manny was moving up in weight and Barrera was the 4-1 favorite to win.

I would have bet on Robinson to beat Maxim. Shavers to beat Ali and Ali to beat Spinks. I would have favored Duran over both Hearns and Benitez. I would never have taken Basilio to beat Robinson in their first match.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Shavers to beat Ali
          I wasn't much aware of Shavers back then, I knew he had lost to Ron Lyle but demolished Howard Smith.

Though, I remember looking forward to the Ali fight, because the daily paper I read at the time predicted a 3-round KO win for Shavers.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I thought for sure Barrera would beat Pacquiao. Manny was moving up in weight and Barrera was the 4-1 favorite to win.

I would have bet on Robinson to beat Maxim. Shavers to beat Ali and Ali to beat Spinks. I would have favored Duran over both Hearns and Benitez. I would never have taken Basilio to beat Robinson in their first match.
            I only started watching boxing in 06’ although my dad showed me old fights from time to time as a kid. When pac fought barrera I only knew him from fight night round 3 and they gave him a lot of power rating. I figured he was some unknown hype job until I saw everyone rating him p4p the best puncher in boxing. Thats what got me affiliated with p4p ratings and the idea behind it. Pacquiao seemed so unstoppable back then. So much heart.

the interesting about Pacquiao is his style seemed to produce a lot of knockdowns. Its not like he knocked guys cold or out so much, he overwhelmed them and beat them up. His one punch power wasnt huge but he could generate power with very little leverage, he could turn a jab or 4 inch hook into a power shot.
            Last edited by them_apples; 04-15-2022, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I thought Pacquiao was too small for Del la Hoya. Thought Del la Hoya was being obnoxious for taking such an easy fight.

Saw Bramble beat Bogner and knew he would beat Mancini. Good inside fighter who would be able to counter the wide swinging Mancini coming in.

Comment

My first boxing idol, so to speak, was Dwight Braxton (subsequently Qawi). I was heartbroken when he lost to Michael Spinks. I was sure Braxton would prevail.

Like many others, I picked Mike Tyson to disintegrate Evander Holyfield before their first fight.

The third I will mention will make you laugh: I picked Rafael Ruelas to knock Oscar De La Hoya out.

Comment

Working...
                X