No announcement yet.

Im very confused about Ezzard Charles resume

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im very confused about Ezzard Charles resume

So we all know Ezzard is too small to beat Modern fathletes ( just KIDDING, he's not too small)

but heres the confusing bit, says here on boxrec he beat Dave Ashley (261 lbs) Bob Albright (218.5 lbs (bigger than Tyson???) and a few others but you get the point.

this is where it gets mind blowing, he was beating these guys weighing 180-190 lbs. thats even smaller than Rocky.

I checked out Archie Moores record, and similar numbers showed up as well. That means these guys were cleaning up some big guys similar in size to guys today but for some reason Rocky was too strong at 188 lbs.

I’m still curious how he would do against someone armed with a bench press and mcdonalds down the street.

someone help me out here!?

some more mindblowing footage, Jack Sharkey beating Carnera is a good one. 200 lb man dropping a 260 lb behemoth doesn’t make sense to me so confusing I’m positive Carnera would be too big
    Last edited by them_apples; 04-14-2022, 02:24 PM.

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
    So we all know Ezzard is too small to beat Modern fathletes

but heres the confusing bit, says here on boxrec he beat Dave Ashley (261 lbs) Bob Albright (218.5 lbs (bigger than Tyson???) and a few others but you get the point.

this is where it gets mind blowing, he was beating these guys weighing 180-190 lbs. thats even smaller than Rocky.

I checked out Archie Moores record, and similar numbers showed up as well. That means these guys were cleaning up some big guys similar in size to guys today but for some reason Rocky was too strong at 188 lbs.

I’m still curious how he would do against someone armed with a bench press and mcdonalds down the street.

some more mindblowing footage, Jack Sharkey beating Carnera is a good one. 200 lb man dropping a 260 lb behemoth doesn’t make sense to me so confusing I’m positive Carnera would be too big
    - - Carnera also KOed Sharkey as well as credited for killing a fighter that raised the hue and cry for a Dreadnaught. Ya could look it up.

Comment

It's very difficult to predict and size up matches of the golden age to the more current eras.

Comment

If a 200 lbs. man can manipulate the fight into the mid rounds, he evens the odds against galoots carrying big poundage. Then he becomes the favorite, then...

He has enough weight to KO anyone, but not an excessive amount to carry for fifteen rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
          If a 200 lbs. man can manipulate the fight into the mid rounds, he evens the odds against galoots carrying big poundage. Then he becomes the favorite, then...

He has enough weight to KO anyone, but not an excessive amount to carry for fifteen rounds.
          yeah the entire post was sarcasm. But yeah, and to even further that some of those 200 lbders did carry the power all night, they were in such good shape. In fact being a big galoot in boxing is a circus act that comes along whenever the heavyweight division is void of talent.

as fighters get bigger, the weight comes from height a lot of the time. But not everyone is built like a heavyweight. Look at david hayes skull. Hes built like a 6 fr 3 skinny middleweight who lifted weights and did steroids for 10 years. Hearns at cruiser is that guy.

Last edited by them_apples; 04-14-2022, 04:00 AM.

Comment

yeah the entire post was sarcasm. But yeah, and to even further that some of those 200 lbders did carry the power all night, they were in such good shape. In fact being a big galoot in boxing is a circus act that comes along whenever the heavyweight division is void of talent.

as fighters get bigger, the weight comes from height a lot of the time. But not everyone is built like a heavyweight. Look at david hayes skull. Hes built like a 6 fr 3 skinny middleweight who lifted weights and did steroids for 10 years. Hearns at cruiser is that guy.
            It's interesting that Haye looks significantly smaller now he is retired.old timers like Walcott,Louis, Dempsey,Marciano etc looked bigger in their middle years.
            them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Carnera also KOed Sharkey as well as credited for killing a fighter that raised the hue and cry for a Dreadnaught. Ya could look it up.
              I think Sharkey went into the tank for that fight. Earnie Schaaf had just gotten over a serious case of the flu when he fought Carnera and had taken a bad beating in the closing moments of the Baer fight.Carnera put a strangely passive Schaaf down with a jab and the crowd booed Fake!One sports writer said ,"the only way I'll believe this is if he dies".Carnera was not a big puncher and he was absolved of any culpability in the Schaaf tragedy.
              Last edited by Ivich; 04-14-2022, 05:24 AM.

Comment

I once did a survey of Moore's ko victims.many of them,around 3/4 were middles and lhvys and there is a lot of dross on his resume.No doubt he was a serious banger but his ability to manouver opponents into his power coupled with his accuracy accounted for a lot of those stoppages imo.
                Last edited by Ivich; 04-14-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Carnera had a glass jaw lhvys dropped him. I believe Sharkey has the lowest ko% of any heavy champ since WW1?
                  Size,imo must become a factor at some point, eg would Marciano drop Valuev?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

It's interesting that Haye looks significantly smaller now he is retired.old timers like Walcott,Louis, Dempsey,Marciano etc looked bigger in their middle years.
                    yeah they are blown up fighters, the old timers trained down. Probably why most new fighters have glass jaws, also because they fight less
                    Last edited by them_apples; 04-14-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X