Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Roy Jones rooster leaping left over Toney been scored a knockdown?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tokon View Post

Do you think it would have made any particular difference to the fight or outcome?
    Thats not the point he is making...

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post
      I always remembered it as a legit knockdown but just watching a replay today, yes Roy lands but he also falls right into Toney, which pushed him off balance.

I think this is a tough one. Normally if you fall and a punch connects its a knockdown but also if you fall into someone and knock them over that is a slip.

The ref basically has to make an assumption if Roy didnt fall into his legs would Toney have went down and I dont think he would.

I think it shouldnt have been ruled a knockdown looking at their legs the way Roy falls into him.
      Some things are purely discretionary. Another one might be when Hopkins dropped Calzighe.

If we look at it forensically we have to consider that Toney going down from a punch is against the odds...

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Thats not the point he is making...
        So, should it have been ruled a knockdown?

Yes? No? Take your pick. The facts show it was but, if it hadn't been, do you think it would have made any difference to the flow and outcome of the fight?

That's the point I'm making.

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post

So, should it have been ruled a knockdown?

Yes? No? Take your pick. The facts show it was but, if it hadn't been, do you think it would have made any difference to the flow and outcome of the fight?

That's the point I'm making.
          There is nothng wrong with making another point, but initially you were implying it was relevant to the OP's question. It wasn't. Its common sense actually for anyone who watched the fight. OP's point was about a technical matter, not how the event described made a difference regarding the outcome of the fight. And since your asking this question? take another look at the fight... Jesus coming down and giving Toney pokeyman type fireballs that could not miss Jones... would not have made a difference in that fight!

Confucius say: "Counter Puncher very good... until fighting man with hands of lightening speed."

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

There is nothng wrong with making another point, but initially you were implying it was relevant to the OP's question. It wasn't. Its common sense actually for anyone who watched the fight. OP's point was about a technical matter, not how the event described made a difference regarding the outcome of the fight. And since your asking this question? take another look at the fight... Jesus coming down and giving Toney pokeyman type fireballs that could not miss Jones... would not have made a difference in that fight!

Confucius say: "Counter Puncher very good... until fighting man with hands of lightening speed."
            No, sorry, I wasn't implying anything initially, I was just asking a sort of "follow on" question. I don't need to take another look at the fight as i was asking that question because imo KD/no-KD or, as you said, "pokeyman type fireballs", would not have made any difference that fight, that night.

Thanks.
            billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Not to me . . . But anyway . . . Short answer: NO!

But there is something psychological to a KD that adds to a fight, a resume, and ego, both ways.

Frazier beat Ali in The Fight in '71, but the 15th round KD altered the contempoary opinion and historical interpretation of the fight.

This fight, not so much. But I'd be willing to bet a buck it still matters to Toney.
              - - A chicken bucket raises that buck as TwoTon rakes in his sumptuous pot.

Comment

Yes.

Makes no difference obviously because he dominated every second of every round.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash out View Post
                  James Toney was vastly overrated. Lost almost every hard fight he ever had, just like Oscar De La Hoya, he even lost a shut-out decision to Lucas Browne. Not quite as overrated as Mike Tyson, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, or Donald Curry, but right up there. RJJ was good, but an over-the-hill Joe Calzaghe showed him that their are levels to this game, just like he showed Bernard Hopkins. Nash out.
                  Cmon dawg calzaghe aged well but prime RJJ would’ve been too much for him as would’ve a younger bhop. Hell 50 year old hop dropped him harrrd lol

Comment

Originally posted by LAchargers373 View Post

Cmon dawg calzaghe aged well but prime RJJ would’ve been too much for him as would’ve a younger bhop. Hell 50 year old hop dropped him harrrd lol
                    - - Yo, doogie, Dibella signed post Tito Poppy to a lucrative contract fighting the Roy Domestic Rematch and SuperJoe in England.

He paid a 2 mil civil settlement to Dibella for defaulting on that contract.

Slappy Joe didn't just drop Poppy, he humiliated him on his home turf wif Poppy crawling around the ring yelping like a kicked cur. Poppy had near a half dozen such meltdowns when he was getting overwhelmed.

Prison tough

Comment

Working...
                    X