Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Roy Jones rooster leaping left over Toney been scored a knockdown?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Roy Jones rooster leaping left over Toney been scored a knockdown?

I always remembered it as a legit knockdown but just watching a replay today, yes Roy lands but he also falls right into Toney, which pushed him off balance.

I think this is a tough one. Normally if you fall and a punch connects its a knockdown but also if you fall into someone and knock them over that is a slip.

The ref basically has to make an assumption if Roy didnt fall into his legs would Toney have went down and I dont think he would.

I think it shouldnt have been ruled a knockdown looking at their legs the way Roy falls into him.

Easy fix. Judge does not have to make it a 10-8 round he can score it 10-9 despite the referee (mis) call.

Many on this forum, especially the 'punch counters' get all bent out of shape when judges think for themselves but nevertheless the option is there and is sometimes acted on.

Personally I felt it was both a 'rooster jump' (never heard that before but descriptive) but also a clean enough shot to call it a KD, but certainly not one that makes for a 10-8 round.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      Easy fix. Judge does not have to make it a 10-8 round he can score it 10-9 despite the referee (mis) call.

Many on this forum, especially the 'punch counters' get all bent out of shape when judges think for themselves but nevertheless the option is there and is sometimes acted on.

Personally I felt it was both a 'rooster jump' (never heard that before but descriptive) but also a clean enough shot to call it a KD, but certainly not one that makes for a 10-8 round.

yeah it was a rarity and could be called either way. Roy connected clean but also ran into Toneys legs and pushed right through them. The shot wasnt super hard with toney leaned so far back from it and all the distance Roy had to cover. It would have been a hard shot if Toney was upright when it connected. Crazy athleticism for Roy to cover so much ground with that leaping hook, toney didnt think he could make that distance.The judge also may not have seen their legs/feet positioning.

Yeah judges could have made it a 10-9 round. The shot wasnt that powerful by the time it connected with toney leaned so far back from it and then you have to ask, if the shot missed would toney have fallen anyways from roy's legs crashing into his? and I think he would have.
      Last edited by elfag; 04-07-2022, 10:35 AM.
      Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by elfag View Post

yeah it was a rarity and could be called either way. Roy connected clean but also ran into Toneys legs and pushed right through them. The shot wasnt super hard with toney leaned so far back from it and all the distance Roy had to cover. It would have been a hard shot if Toney was upright when it connected. Crazy athleticism for Roy to cover so much ground with that leaping hook, toney didnt think he could make that distance.The judge also may not have seen their legs/feet positioning.

Yeah judges could have made it a 10-9 round. The shot wasnt that powerful by the time it connected with toney leaned so far back from it and then you have to ask, if the shot missed would toney have fallen anyways from roy's legs crashing into his? and I think he would have.
        - - Don't tell me evil doers managed to slip you some of the koolaide?

Roy won every round in the easiest fight ever fought against the hapless Toney. He feinted Toney for the KD that knocked him backward across the length of the ring, landing hard butt first against the corner turnstile that had to double hurt him. If ever a definition of a 10-8 round was needed, that was it.

Later in the first Rahman fight, Rahman uncharacteristically jabbed and moved because Toney was so fat there was nothing he could do but eat a thousand jabs. At one point Rahman stepped into the jab that sent Toney waddling backwards as fast as he could waddle because he couldn't stop the momentum. Hit the the poor groaning ropes to their stretching point, also as clear a KD as could be had. Different ref for this. He had drank the koolaide and didn't rule a KD...only in boxing, folks!!!
        Last edited by QueensburyRules; 04-07-2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

James Toney was vastly overrated. Lost almost every hard fight he ever had, just like Oscar De La Hoya, he even lost a shut-out decision to Lucas Browne. Not quite as overrated as Mike Tyson, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, or Donald Curry, but right up there. RJJ was good, but an over-the-hill Joe Calzaghe showed him that their are levels to this game, just like he showed Bernard Hopkins. Nash out.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Don't tell me evil doers managed to slip you some of the koolaide?

Roy won every round in the easiest fight ever fought against the hapless Toney. He feinted Toney for the KD that knocked him backward across the length of the ring, landing hard butt first against the corner turnstile that had to double hurt him. If ever a definition of a 10-8 round was needed, that was it.

Later in the first Rahman fight, Rahman uncharacteristically jabbed and moved because Toney was so fat there was nothing he could do but eat a thousand jabs. At one point Rahman stepped into the jab that sent Toney waddling backwards as fast as he could waddle because he couldn't stop the momentum. Hit the the poor groaning ropes to their stretching point, also as clear a KD as could be had. Different ref for this. He had drank the koolaide and didn't rule a KD...only in boxing, folks!!!

I didnt say Toney was close to winning..... so idk what you are on about

I am talking about it being ruled a knockdown and the ref giving Toney the count. Look at their legs. That is what I am talking about.

Comment

I am talking about it being ruled a knockdown and the ref giving Toney the count. Look at their legs. That is what I am talking about.
              Reading comprehension is not his strong suit.
              billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

- - Were the ref supposed to now look at just each others legs when he seen everything in real time like we all did?

Maybe spread em for a proctological 10 count jabby quickie?

Man, lot of weirdos filtered into the history section.

Comment

I always remembered it as a legit knockdown but just watching a replay today, yes Roy lands but he also falls right into Toney, which pushed him off balance.

I think this is a tough one. Normally if you fall and a punch connects its a knockdown but also if you fall into someone and knock them over that is a slip.

The ref basically has to make an assumption if Roy didnt fall into his legs would Toney have went down and I dont think he would.

I think it shouldnt have been ruled a knockdown looking at their legs the way Roy falls into him.
                  Do you think it would have made any particular difference to the fight or outcome?

Comment

Originally posted by tokon View Post

Do you think it would have made any particular difference to the fight or outcome?
                    Not to me . . . But anyway . . . Short answer: NO!

But there is something psychological to a KD that adds to a fight, a resume, and ego, both ways.

Frazier beat Ali in The Fight in '71, but the 15th round KD altered the contempoary opinion and historical interpretation of the fight.

This fight, not so much. But I'd be willing to bet a buck it still matters to Toney.
                    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 04-08-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X