Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duran vs Whitaker: interesting article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagree regarding Whitaker's greatness. I think the Chavez fight exposed that he is in the ATG mix but no where near the top of any list. (Whereas Duran is atop many a list.)

As the naturally larger man Whitaker succeeded in stopping what was at that time the Chavez freight train and that was commendable, but not once did he try to take it to Chavez. Whitaker fans wanted us to believe that his defensive success alone was enough to declare him the winner. It wasn't and the judges agreed.

With 40 wins and only 17 KOs he doesn't have a KO victory over a top shelf name. He is the definitive example of stall fighter who received decisions over fighters he neutralized but never took it to.

So often I walked away from Whitaker "fights" annoyed I paid my money; too often it was him just making sure a fight didn't break out during the fight. And after 12 rounds of little to no real action we were all suppose to then sing the praise of his 'boxing skills.'

In short he was boring to watch and never a SRL; more stalling and antics then action.

P.S. I'm doubling down, Duran walks through him and KOs him. I wish we had Bill's magic quantum machine thingy so I can be right! lol
    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 12-24-2021, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      I disagree regarding Whitaker's greatness. I think the Chavez fight exposed that he is in the ATG mix but no where near the top of any list. (Whereas Duran is atop many a list.)

As the naturally larger man Whitaker succeeded in stopping what was at that time the Chavez freight train and that was commendable, but not once did he try to take it to Chavez. Whitaker fans wanted us to believe that his defensive success alone was enough to declare him the winner. It wasn't and the judges agreed.

With 40 wins and only 17 KOs he doesn't have a KO victory over a top shelf name. He is the definitive example of stall fighter who received decisions over fighters he neutralized but never took it to.

So often I walked away from Whitaker "fights" annoyed I paid my money; too often it was him just making sure a fight didn't break out during the fight. And after 12 rounds of little to no real action we were all suppose to then sing the praise of his 'boxing skills.'

In short he was boring to watch and never a SRL; more stalling and antics then action.

P.S. I'm doubling down, Duran walks through him and KOs him. I wish we had Bill's magic quantum machine thingy so I can be right! lol
      Whitaker is ranked number 4 all time at lightweight by the IBRO. His lack of ko's doesn't change his greatness as a fighter anymore than it does Pep's. I also find him boring, but that doesn't take away from his talent or abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Whitaker is ranked number 4 all time at lightweight by the IBRO. His lack of ko's doesn't change his greatness as a fighter anymore than it does Pep's. I also find him boring, but that doesn't take away from his talent or abilities.
        Yes it does! Pep was aggressive as he'll when the opportunity showed it self, Whitaker almost never, unless it was very safe. Pep love to exchange combinations with an opponent. He won those decisions while beating people up.

What matter is it what the IBRO thinks, they're just guys like you and me. Is there some science of observation they were schooled in that we didn't learn? Have they watched more fights than us? I have been watching for 50 plus years now, (literally) even as a half-wit something must have rubbed off.

This is between you and me, and it's our opinion that counts here, not theirs.

Comment

Yes it does! Pep was aggressive as he'll when the opportunity showed it self, Whitaker almost never, unless it was very safe. Pep love to exchange combinations with an opponent. He won those decisions while beating people up.

What matter is it what the IBRO thinks, they're just guys like you and me. Is there some science of observation they were schooled in that we didn't learn? Have they watched more fights than us? I have been watching for 50 plus years now, (literally) even as a half-wit something must have rubbed off.

My point with the IBRO was in response to you saying he wasn't near the top of any lists. I agree he was not exciting, and he acted the clown way to much, but he was a tremendous body puncher, and a defensive wizard. I know your stance on this and how you feel, but it is a part of boxing.
          Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

Is IBRO still around?

Comment

I don't remember Whitaker beating a first class opponent convincingly. I remember controversial. He fought everyone to a close fight. Great, eh? He was just as boring as Mayweather.

Comment

Working...
              X