No announcement yet.

Duran vs Whitaker: interesting article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran vs Whitaker: interesting article

Found this today from The Ring. Interesting article about a Duran vs Whitaker fight at their respective best.

https://www.ringtv.com/632480-robert...perfect-storm/

Duran at Lightweight was the best lightweight I've ever seen. Maybe not the best resume, but what he did there was better than anyone I've seen at the weight. So I'd favor him against anyone at that weight.

That being written, Pea is a top 5 all time LW as well; so its not like this is a wipe out. Pea could do some things to make it interesting (although I find it odd that one contributor cited a a 31 yr old Duran's loss at Super Welter as important evidence).

I'd favor Duran 70/30. If his fight were done a hundred times I think most versions see Pea sticking and moving early, but Duran eventually cuts him off and rough's him up. Duran at LW had it all, and he'd find a way inside and go to work.

Comment

- - The Ring Echo Chamber sounds off some nonsense while their heavy champ for 6 years going into 2022 has exactly one defense bolstered by use of steroids for the unified title vs Wlad whereupon he abandoned his unified title to go on a 3 year bender.

I'd prefer Pea to fight other stinkers exclusively and Roberto to take on the giants as God intended.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeMoney View Post
        Duran at Lightweight was the best lightweight I've ever seen. Maybe not the best resume, but what he did there was better than anyone I've seen at the weight. So I'd favor him against anyone at that weight.

That being written, Pea is a top 5 all time LW as well; so its not like this is a wipe out. Pea could do some things to make it interesting (although I find it odd that one contributor cited a a 31 yr old Duran's loss at Super Welter as important evidence).

I'd favor Duran 70/30. If his fight were done a hundred times I think most versions see Pea sticking and moving early, but Duran eventually cuts him off and rough's him up. Duran at LW had it all, and he'd find a way inside and go to work.
        I think the article pointed out a 12 fight could go to Whitaker while 15 rounds favors Duran. I'd also point out that ring size would be an important factor. A big ring obviously favors Pea, while a shoe box almost guarantees a Duran victory.

Comment

If Leonard couldn't keep Duran off him and got bullied (Montreal: Duran at his very best) why are you all even speculating that Whitaker could.

There is this silly platitude going around on this forum that Leonard tried to prove himself and made a mistake by "fighting Duran's fight" - that's nonsense, Leonard fought Duran's fight because Duran made him.

Montreal Duran has an even easier time bulling Whitaker; wins easy.
          QueensburyRules QueensburyRules likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
            If Leonard couldn't keep Duran off him and got bullied (Montreal: Duran at his very best) why are you all even speculating that Whitaker could.

There is this silly platitude going around on this forum that Leonard tried to prove himself and made a mistake by "fighting Duran's fight" - that's nonsense, Leonard fought Duran's fight because Duran made him.

- - Well, it was originally authored by the Oscar Ring Echo Chamber, and after all, they are the self appointed experts, so who are we, the unwashed naysayers, to question the high and mighty Ring Experts?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

I believe this is supposed to be a lightweight fight. I also believe Duran wins, but I doubt it's a walkover.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

I believe this is supposed to be a lightweight fight. I also believe Duran wins, but I doubt it's a walkover.
                - - Well now, it weren't a walkover for Jose Luis Ramairez when Camacho KDed him while spinning him around like a top to pop every time his mug came up in 1985. 3 years later ama style Pea and Ol'slo' Lou walked into every liver shot JL threw to hang on for dear life in between lowblowing to survive the distance.

Could watch the fights on the tube in my day, and I never once watched Pea and thought, wow, this guy is a great unless he was a great boxing clown where he holds P4P status.

Duran on the other hand was inspiringly AWESOME in his pomp and awe inspiring past his best weights.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- - Well now, it weren't a walkover for Jose Luis Ramairez when Camacho KDed him while spinning him around like a top to pop every time his mug came up in 1985. 3 years later ama style Pea and Ol'slo' Lou walked into every liver shot JL threw to hang on for dear life in between lowblowing to survive the distance.

Could watch the fights on the tube in my day, and I never once watched Pea and thought, wow, this guy is a great unless he was a great boxing clown where he holds P4P status.

Duran on the other hand was inspiringly AWESOME in his pomp and awe inspiring past his best weights.
                  Whitaker dominated Ramirez both times. The first fight considered a blatant robbery. Duran was awesome, but styles make fights. And that you cant see Whitakers greatness shows how little you really know about this sport.
                  The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Whitaker dominated Ramirez both times. The first fight considered a blatant robbery. Duran was awesome, but styles make fights. And that you cant see Whitakers greatness shows how little you really know about this sport.
                    - - Not my fault U dummy never seen the fight. Boxing is considered the LowBrow of all the major sports back when it was actually more popular than baseball in spite of being illegal in most jurisdictions.

Been downhill ever since.

Comment

Working...
                    X