No announcement yet.

6ft9 280lb Fury destroys any old timer boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Fury has some nice throwback skills. He has decent timing, footwork, he fights at all ranges and can change tactics... But lets keep in mind something, best illustrated by an example. I was showing a typical opponent for Liston. This was considered a relatively weak time for the division and all... This opponent, did all the things that fighters did back then... so Fury is typical of what fighters were expected to do.

With that said Fury is a horrid puncher. He loops his shots, grimaces as he sets to throw them, his elbows flair horribly on his jab... A fighter like Marciano would thwack Fury on his flaired elbow lol. His power would not allow him to keep a puncher like Louis at bay, Liston would be a horror for Fury... Fury is an excellent fighter and he does show skills we only used to see. But like most big men his punch is relatively weak... and any throwback guys would be more than willing to take a shot to get in on him and go to work. I adore the Gypsy King... but that is how I see it.
    I disagree, Kronk Fury punches hard enough to get anyone's respect, especially cruiserweights like Marciano.

Fury could easily fight on the backfoot and jab their nuts in, and then tie them up when they get inside, nobody is mauling a 280lb Fury in the clinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

It is only this current generation of big boys that (some) have the athleticism of a LHW.

In the past the 'giants' were often slow of hand and foot and their size wasn't insurmountable for a normal size HW.

I'm not sure if that still holds for today's big boys.

But on the other hand I want to point to AJ as being that kind of athletic big boy, or would have a year and a half ago, but then boom along comes a pudgy smaller HW who takes him apart.

I will argue that in the past size among HW didn't matter as much as a LW jumping to MW, but as for today I'm not sure.
      - -Pep, first off understand current boxing "writers" nay media spokes"people" have dumbed down the original concept of athleticism of being specifically related to track and field attributes. Wlad and AJ, and prime Big George would meet that ideal as decathletes, and perhaps Dempsey and Louis as well, but in the modern construct athleticism is almost always racial code for tall and black and used in conjunction with Compufraud to buttress lack of boxing understanding. Fury demonstrates there is more to being an athlete than mere track and field qualification who's members seldom grace the top echelons of MLB and NFL much less boxing.

There seems to be a peculiar gene responsible for the unique attributes displayed by the greatest fighters which is why unathletic looking fighters can often rise to the top of the heap, aka Fury who has some mental issues restricting his ascension to the pinnicle, 0 defenses of any title save his first defense with this ill begotten trilogy vs Deyonce.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post

- -Pep, first off understand current boxing "writers" nay media spokes"people" have dumbed down the original concept of athleticism of being specifically related to track and field attributes. Wlad and AJ, and prime Big George would meet that ideal as decathletes, and perhaps Dempsey and Louis as well, but in the modern construct athleticism is almost always racial code for tall and black and used in conjunction with Compufraud to buttress lack of boxing understanding. Fury demonstrates there is more to being an athlete than mere track and field qualification who's members seldom grace the top echelons of MLB and NFL much less boxing.

There seems to be a peculiar gene responsible for the unique attributes displayed by the greatest fighters which is why unathletic looking fighters can often rise to the top of the heap, aka Fury who has some mental issues restricting his ascension to the pinnicle, 0 defenses of any title save his first defense with this ill begotten trilogy vs Deyonce.
        Fury has defended his lineal title multiple times, and has never lost any titles in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post

Fury has defended his lineal title multiple times, and has never lost any titles in the ring.
          - -Can't lose any titles if U don't defend them and lineal is a concept, not a title. So, if I got a ton of silly $$$ and bait fat Lewie into a comeback and whoop him, then I obviously trump anything U boy has done.

Then I can pay the WBC to sanction me vs the bones of JJJeffries, and boom, I own the last legit lineal title in the history of heavywt boxing to proclaim myself the greatest that sends all U sissies squallin' fer U crack daddies...

Comment

- -Can't lose any titles if U don't defend them and lineal is a concept, not a title. So, if I got a ton of silly $$$ and bait fat Lewie into a comeback and whoop him, then I obviously trump anything U boy has done.

Then I can pay the WBC to sanction me vs the bones of JJJeffries, and boom, I own the last legit lineal title in the history of heavywt boxing to proclaim myself the greatest that sends all U sissies squallin' fer U crack daddies...
            Now you're just being silly.

Comment

Steve Cunnningham dropped Tyson Fury.

I don't see why the old time greats couldn't do the same or better.

Comment

You are correct lineal is not a title, it is the title; recognition by the populace is more imortant than any crooked scantioning belt.

You can't join the Hells Angels you can only wait to be 'recognized.'

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Steve Cunnningham dropped Tyson Fury.

I don't see why the old time greats couldn't do the same or better.
                  I'm talking about the Fury of today, not the rookie who faced off against Cunningham nearly a decade ago.
                  moneytheman Ascended likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post

I'm talking about the Fury of today, not the rookie who faced off against Cunningham nearly a decade ago.
                    Exactly. Why people keep mentioning Cunningham, Pajkic, and Firtha from 2012/2013 when Fury was considered a good domestic fighter, and potential prospect, like he was the Fury of today is laughable. The true turn of Fury was late 2014 when he beat Chisora in the second fight, it was like watching a new guy from their first fight, like it had all just clicked for him, and now, being Kronk Fury, he is even better, and easily the best HW of all time. I respect your knowledge Denium
                    moneytheman Ascended denium denium like this.

Comment

When NSB comes into history to tell us why we have weight divisions.

They ain't here to learn.
                      The Old LefHook The Old LefHook likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X