No announcement yet.

Most Often Mentioned Fighters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Often Mentioned Fighters.

In regards to the Boxing History Forum I wonder which fighters have gotten the most mentions? I wonder if the Boxing Scene IT geeks are capable of running name searches through the threads?

Considering the number of Dempsey "haters" on here I suspect he would be number one, but it would be interesting to know statistically who musters the most "ink."
    Last edited by Willie Pep 229; 02-28-2021, 01:19 PM.

- -I gather Mike Tyson and Ali to be up there. Who would be the most insufferable of their fans? I'd say it's neck and neck with Ali and Tyson in that most in the world have seen those fights. Most have not seen Dempsey fights and aren't interested in viewing fuzzy, grainy only partially preserved footage.
    Willie Pep 229 Willie Pep 229 likes this.

Comment

I imagine that Dempsey would be one of the most mentioned if not the most mentioned, and rightfully so. Some of you defend him like he was your great grand daddy, so obviously he left a lasting impression. He was a very controversial figure with the "ducking" allegations, allegations of throwing fights, allegations of wraps that were not so on the up and up, etc. However he also had entertaining fights and he packed stadiums and set records at that point. So all of that together makes sense regarding why he would be mentioned so much. When "realists" regarding his career clash with the fan boys, naturally long discussions will take place.

The same could be said for Jack Johnson. Allegations of ducking, extremely controversial, fake knockdowns, allegations of thrown fights, etc. His fights were not as entertaining, but they were certainly events. The hostility that he evoked and his style of continuously riling people up while living life on the run. Crazy stuff.

Both were involved in fights labeled "Fights of the Century." Makes perfect sense that they will be discussed for their controversies as well as their success in the sport.

Comment

Gotta be Dempsey, Ali or Louis.

Comment

I think it goes in cycles, someone will get interested about a guy then there will be a bunch about him, but I think Marciano has got to be among the top due to the uniqueness of his career.

1) Hits on a lot of the important factors to get a lot of mentions. HOF level fighter, heavyweight (glamor division) so he's already gonna garner a fair amount of interest.
          2) The uniqueness of his size: there will always be discussions of whether older fighters could compete with modern fighters, and smaller fighters with bigger one. Him being short as he was puts him at the extreme of such discussions, so increases the likelihood of the mentions.
          3) The uniqueness of his record: 49-0 in itself would be enough to get a lot of mentions, mix in him having so many early fights against lower competition, before getting his shot, and then having wins against older ATGs and it just makes it more and more unique.
          4) The race issue. Whether we want to admit it or not, being a whit heavyweight champ makes him unique (see Coming to America). I'm not writing that there are a bunch of racists on here one way or another, but it does make him stand out more and bring more attention to him being discussed.

Comment

Yeah, back when I first got here it was Rocky all the time. So, right now, Dempsey or Johnson or both because we can't seem to talk about one without the other, but, few years ago it seemed like Marciano everyday. Same basic stuff, but him just had a punch doe.
            louis54 louis54 likes this.

Comment

Yep, the same one or two posters got that deep Dempsey hate, so it’s endless threads for attention. Any mention of him is like a dog whistle to a certain poster here. Accompanied by hundred year old anonymous news “sources”.

On multiple occasions I have started threads about less spoken fighters and coaches and they get little to no participation. It goes to show how many casuals there are who aren’t really interested in boxing history as much as they are the race of a fighter.
              louis54 louis54 likes this.

Comment

This place is a shame and a sham. Where are the threads earned by Art Hafey, Vampire Johnson, Spider Webb and sailor Tom Sharkey. Shameful!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  This place is a shame and a sham. Where are the threads earned by Art Hafey, Vampire Johnson, Spider Webb and sailor Tom Sharkey. Shameful!!!
                  Do you know why Hafey quit after the Lopez fight? He only had an eight year career (but many fights), he seems best defined by his loses, Lopez, Arguello, Olivares (SD), a classic contender. Today he probably would have held a belt or two.

P.S. If we are going to talk about him more often we'll need to know which Black fighters he ducked?

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post

Do you know why Hafey quit after the Lopez fight? He only had an eight year career (but many fights), he seems best defined by his loses, Lopez, Arguello, Olivares (SD), a classic contender. Today he probably would have held a belt or two.

P.S. If we are going to talk about him more often we'll need to know which Black fighters he ducked?
                    Black, Brown, Red, White, Yellow, Purple, Blue....the fighters he ducked should be mentioned, no? Or is that not fair game when discussing a boxer?

Comment

Working...
                    X