No announcement yet.

Chavez - Taylor stoppage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Humean View Post
    Now Steele is criticized for not having eyes in the back of his head? If your argument is based around conspiracy theories then I think i'll leave you to your beliefs. Nothing will convince you otherwise.

If the referee isn't responsible for keeping a fighter in a neutral corner, then who is? That is a boxing rule, not a conspiracy. Refer to Tunney-Dempsey II as Exhibit A.

Comment

Richard Steele was in the moment. He wasn't worried about the round ending. He acted in the moment and that was the outcome. It was the right stoppage.

It'd be worse to say I'd normally stop this fight in this circumstance but since there are only a few seconds left I'll let it continue and let it go to decision. And it's not like Steele knew the scorecards.

Comment

them key words right thur, in the moment. we speculatin n tryna explain, rathionalize, etc. here's an alternative u don't want, steel ax him twice n takes about 3 seconds off the clock before he waves it off. if he did taylor like nady did vargas v tito, like just wipes off meldrick gloves and waves Julio in, Julio can land another 5 shots with his full weight in them n if taylor lives then he probly ends up talkin like he does way bfor he gets a shot at aaron davis belt. or taylor slips into a coma and everyone pissed at steele for not thinkin of the fighters safety. the ref is closest in there,when he makes a questionable ruling, we trust he had ample reason to. of course when steele lets ray leonard excessively clinch and bolo right into haglers cup right in front of his face and take no points away, we have to admit he aint that good a ref. matter of fact, I don't even think steel even said nothing to ray when he bolo'd haglers cup n it was right in front of steels country talkin face. shake han an g'luck. fk Richard steele. but I don't have a problem with the taylor stoppage

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
          Fuck Don King.
          Wow, you know your stuff.

Comment

Of course in hindsight it's pretty easy to say that the fight shouldn't have been stopped with just a few seconds left but I don't believe that the referee could've known there was so little time remaining. To him, there still could've been another minute to go in that round, which could've proved to be career-ending for Taylor if he'd had time to take a few more clean shots. Taylor certainly didn't help himself either, as when he was asked if he was okay and able to continue he stood stationary in the neutral corner, holding onto the ropes and looked towards his own corner rather than trying to prove to Steele that he was able to continue in the fight, no matter how long was remaining.

Comment

Steele got it right IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                Of course in hindsight it's pretty easy to say that the fight shouldn't have been stopped with just a few seconds left but I don't believe that the referee could've known there was so little time remaining. To him, there still could've been another minute to go in that round, which could've proved to be career-ending for Taylor if he'd had time to take a few more clean shots. Taylor certainly didn't help himself either, as when he was asked if he was okay and able to continue he stood stationary in the neutral corner, holding onto the ropes and looked towards his own corner rather than trying to prove to Steele that he was able to continue in the fight, no matter how long was remaining.
                Pretty much this. Ref did his job imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
                  Wrong. The referee knows when a round is nearing the end. That's what the 10 second warning lights are for. And yes, Steele saw them.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 07-07-2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

The rules do not change depending on how much time is left in the round. Taylor did not respond to the ref so the fight was stopped, whether there was 2 seconds or 2 minutes left is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                      Wrong. The referee knows when a round is nearing the end. That's what the 10 second warning lights are for. And yes, Steele saw them.
                      Not to mention they bang on the ring apron at the 10 second mark as well.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X