No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston vs Joe Louis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
    You REALLY see Louis taking Liston's punches?

If it goes 13 rounds as you say.....Liston would have hit Louis many times.Louis would crumble under Liston's shots.

BTW-Who do you pick in a PRIME Forman-Louis fight?
    You should know by now.. My views are that Louis is the best HW who ever lived.. I'm not saying he can't be beat, but I am saying that if he fought every other top tenner, 10 times over 10 years, he'd come out on top, with Foreman, Liston, Lewis, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Bowe, etc running him close, & Ali taking him to the wire.. As for, could Louis take Listons punches? Could Liston take Louis's punches? He couldn't take Ali's, so I very much doubt it..
    them_apples them_apples likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingbuff View Post
      You REALLY see Louis taking Liston's punches?

If it goes 13 rounds as you say.....Liston would have hit Louis many times.Louis would crumble under Liston's shots.

BTW-Who do you pick in a PRIME Forman-Louis fight?
      Louis' chin is underrated here. He was KO'd twice in 68 fights, both times by prime Hall of Famers who could punch and who had to pound him over the course of the fight to beat him. Most of his knockdowns were of the flash variety and when he got up he usually resumed pounding his opponent post haste. It was one thing putting him on the canvas but another thing entirely to keep him there. He also walked through Max Bear's rights (who had comparable power to Liston) en route to mowing him down.

Ali was dropped by Banks and Cooper and buzzed by Mildenberger and Terrell. Holmes was dropped by Kevin Isaacs and nearly knocked senseless by Renaldo Snipes. Ezzard Charles and Ray Robinson were dropped by a variety of fighters. Did they all have weak chins too?

Liston was not Superman. Marty Marshall broke his jaw and beat him, and also took him the distance on another occasion. Eddie Machen took him the distance, as did journeyman Bert Whitehurst (twice). He was KO'd cold by Leotis Martin and also in sparring by Mac Foster. He well past it by then, but it does demonstrate that he was not invulnerable.

Both were fine fighters in their day, and either man can win, but don't lets caricature them.

Comment

I dont remember Ali being buzzed by Mildenberger or Terrell. Ali was not in trouble in either fight IMO.

But agree on Louis's chin. He took a few solid whacks from Baer!
        them_apples them_apples Ivich Ivich like this.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
          You should know by now.. My views are that Louis is the best HW who ever lived.. I'm not saying he can't be beat, but I am saying that if he fought every other top tenner, 10 times over 10 years, he'd come out on top, with Foreman, Liston, Lewis, Holmes, Dempsey, Marciano, Bowe, etc running him close, & Ali taking him to the wire.. As for, could Louis take Listons punches? Could Liston take Louis's punches? He couldn't take Ali's, so I very much doubt it..
          You sure like to twist things....Saying Liston couldn't take Ali's punches,LOL

Liston could take Ali's punches and punches ALOT harder.As he did against many other fighters.Cleveland Williams to name just one.

Liston did not quit against Ali because of his hard punches.Just like Roberto Duran did not quit against SRL because of his hard punches.They both quit because they were being humiliated and embarrased.

Please stop "twisting" things.You would rather win a debate than search for the truth.

Comment

i think liston would win his fight in his prime, he was so awesome strong, but not with ko, becuase louis was one of the best defense boxers

Comment

Anybody as advanced as this no name who Liston fought who existed in the novice-like era louis fought in? The answer is no so everyone who said louis wins is a lunatic idiot

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended View Post
                Anybody as advanced as this no name who Liston fought who existed in the novice-like era louis fought in? The answer is no so everyone who said louis wins is a lunatic idiot
                Besmanoff beat 3 ranked heavyweights.
                Baker
                Miteff
                DeJohn

Walcott lost 20 of his 70 fights,which would indicate he wasn't the only skilled man of his era.

Eddie Futch,considered one of the very greatest of trainers ,named Louis along with Ali and Johnson as the 3 greatest heavyweights of all time.
                But,what would he know compared to you, Money The Man?

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Baker
                  Miteff
                  DeJohn

Walcott lost 20 of his 70 fights, which would indicate he wasn't the only skilled man of his era.

Eddie Futch,considered one of the very greatest of trainers , named Louis along with Ali and Johnson as the 3 greatest heavyweights of all time.
                  But, what would he know compared to you, Money The Man?
                  A crazy slow cult member winning and losing has nothing to do with my question which was

angles used/timing advances/tech advances/fluidity/smarts/
                  flaws used/defense,

the question was who did louis fight as advanced in those areas I showed Besmanoff a no name was way more advanced than Jersey and his whole era, along with Bes didn't have non of the jerseys era obsolete flaws, and tech they used

So your whole comment is invalid

why didn't you respond with video proof that shows Jersey and louis were as advanced in those areas I named when I posted their match after the BES one they for a fact look like novices compared to Liston and Bes

unless you're pretending like you see louis and Jersey as advanced in those areas I named in their match

every obsolete tech and flaw they used in the Louis Match is in the video you can't alter the video or can you make me not see flaws and obsolete tech I clearly can see doesn't exist in the Bes Match

louis/Johnson was the best for their era they don't look like the guys I post I proved that mutiple times
                  ​​​​​​
                  Last edited by Ascended; 03-29-2024, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivich View Post

Baker
                    Miteff
                    DeJohn

Walcott lost 20 of his 70 fights, which would indicate he wasn't the only skilled man of his era.

Eddie Futch,considered one of the very greatest of trainers , named Louis along with Ali and Johnson as the 3 greatest heavyweights of all time.
                    But, what would he know compared to you, Money The Man?
                    They don't fight from range much; they leave themselves open a lot. A lot of times, they will just throw themselves into the body and not protect themselves. They use mostly counters when up close; the lateral movement is very basic; they don't seem to be able to punch from range while doing it smoothly; they have to stop then punch most of the time; and their feet are mostly tiptoeing.​ And a lot of times they wait for the person to hit them, standing right in front of their opponent

these obsolete flaws and tech exist in Jersey even who was the most skilled in the HW class it shows in this match too, that Jersey/louis isn't close to as advanced as that no name liston fought or himself in the areas I named and that no name didn't have the same obsolete tech and flaws as this novice like the era

Do these flaws and tech exist in the bes match with either fighter?​ or can you not see good cult members so you can't see these obsolete tech/flaws

Last edited by Ascended; 03-29-2024, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended View Post

They don't fight from range much; they leave themselves open a lot. A lot of times, they will just throw themselves into the body and not protect themselves. They use mostly counters when up close; the lateral movement is very basic; they don't seem to be able to punch from range while doing it smoothly; they have to stop then punch most of the time; and their feet are mostly tiptoeing.​ And a lot of times they wait for the person to hit them, standing right in front of their opponent

these obsolete flaws and tech exist in Jersey even who was the most skilled in the HW class it shows in this match too, that Jersey/louis isn't close to as advanced as that no name liston fought or himself in the areas I named and that no name didn't have the same obsolete tech and flaws as this novice like the era

Do these flaws and tech exist in the bes match with either fighter?​ or can you not see good cult members so you can't see these obsolete tech/flaws
                      " I think I'm a banana tree!" lol
                      billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X