No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Louis At HW

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
    i get what your saying man. Im a big BHop fan, and BHop would get bombed on by Louis. he just hits way to hard. Hopkins would make him miss a lot and keep it close till BAM! And Hopkins has a GREAT set of Whiskers on him. Thats the difference between Middleweights and Heavyweights.
    yea imma big hopkins fan too....i still think him and roy should fight one more time..and it should be both their last fights

Comment

Louis would probably get this, even Ruiz got some body shots in and he's very slow.

The size difference isn't really huge compared to Roy at HW, so Roy's speed and power could be a factor, he seriously hurt even Ruiz who was pretty big.

however if Louis catches Roy it's curtains.

Comment

I love all these stereotypical internet boxing fans using the logic that because roy jones had a weak chin then he would obviously lose,blatantly ignoring the fact that joe louis had a jaw crafted from sheer,pure "GLASS"

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
        And we all know who has the worst opinion..
        your a bigger cop out than I imagined,you do nothing to counter anyones points without exposing yourself to a complete fool who knows nothing about boxing,Then again you probably think sonny liston had a glass jaw too huh?

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
          I love all these stereotypical internet boxing fans using the logic that because roy jones had a weak chin then he would obviously lose,blatantly ignoring the fact that joe louis had a jaw crafted from sheer,pure "GLASS"

your a bigger cop out than I imagined,you do nothing to counter anyones points without exposing yourself to a complete fool who knows nothing about boxing,Then again you probably think sonny liston had a glass jaw too huh?
          Ya, but Louis got knocked out by HW, and Roy got Knocked out by LHW's

Comment

Joe Louis 213 pounds Rocky Marciano 184 pounds
            Joe Louis 198 pounds Max Schmeling 192 pounds

Heavyweights really?

Comment

Heavyweights really?
              Yes they were Heavyweights, small by todays standards but still heavyweights. It's not so much that heavyweights have gotten naturally bigger, just many come into the ring in poor shape these days. Of course you have Wlad and Vitali but besides them and a few others the fighters are not really that much taller or larger built, just carrying excess bulk.

Comment

Heavyweights really?
                To all:

First, neither have a glass chin. This glass chin bit is highly overrated.

Roy was knocked down before being knocked out by Tarver so his chin wasn't made out of granite but he didn't have a glass chin. If he did, he would have been starched a lot more times than just twice in his career...which also goes for Louis.

I don't care how good people think Roy's reflexes were at his best or even slightly past his best...he still got hit and took those shots. The big difference to me was still his dramatic weight-loss and destruction of his body's equilibrium. He did not ever recover completely even with time...not at that stage of his career. The shot from Tarver was actually a huge shot while Roy was throwing and it hit him right on the chin. Johnson's KO win was right on the temple it seemed. Either way, he looked very vulnerable when he moved back down in weight. A ghost of himself.

For Louis: Marciano KO'd a SHOT version of Louis in round 8. Max KO'd Louis in round 12 after a bag full of right hands throughout. I cannot remember how many that landed exactly but it was a lot before he was finished off. Louis was put down before but he always got back up.

Overall, I would favor Louis's chin over Roy's.
                Last edited by Benny Leonard; 07-17-2009, 03:06 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE]
                  Jones chin was never tested till he was past his prime but was not only stopped by two guys who'll never be in the Hall of fame, but put to sleep by one punch ko's.

Louis on the other hand was stopped twice. Once past his prime, the other before it. Both times against HOF fighters, and the first time he took
                  bomb after bomb before finally succumbing. Little bit of a difference there. If you can't understand that its time to re-take boxing 101.

Comment

Well there you go then,it's not like his chin had taken a pounding over the years was it? Some fighters take so many shots to the chin that their chin gradually wears out and cannot take anymore

there's no real argument joe louis had a very weak chin,even his staunchest supporters have admitted as much

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
                    To all:

First, neither have a glass chin. This glass chin bit is highly overrated.

you can either take a punch or you can't,neither men could

Comment

Well there you go then,it's not like his chin had taken a pounding over the years was it? Some fighters take so many shots to the chin that their chin gradually wears out and cannot take anymore

there's no real argument joe louis had a very weak chin,even his staunchest supporters have admitted as much

you can either take a punch or you can't,neither men could
                      Louis was stopped twice in nearly 70 fights. Once before his prime, once after. How does that translate to a weak chin?

Comment

Working...
                      X