No announcement yet.

Prime Tyson Vs Comeback Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
    That's true: Foreman was KO'd more from exhaustion than anything else.

One thing Holyfield also pointed out on why he would beat Tyson was because Tyson hadn't taken punches in his return fights leading up to him {Holyfield}. And similar to Foreman vs. Ali, believe it or not, Tyson according to his trainer at the time, didn't train much for the bout. He was amazed Tyson even lasted as long as he did. Holyfield was also bulked up for the Tyson fight. Tyson was taking punches and head-butts...not that Tyson wasn't doing his own back.

You can read the article about Tyson's training habits post-prison here:

http://espn.go.com/columns/wojnarows...n/1317765.html

Yes, Foreman took some huge shots from Holyfield but at certain points he did look hurt a bit...specifically the barrage of punches that Holyfield unloaded on him.
    Either way, they were clean shots that were amazing to see someone take and still stand.

One thing to point out though is...Did Tyson have the confidence to face Foreman at that point?
    Being in peak shape and have a game-plan does wonders for confidence. Did he still have that when he would have faced Foreman?
    Maybe it wouldn't matter because Tyson would be forced to fight like he did against Ruddock and maybe he could see something in Foreman once he steps through the ropes and starts fighting and landing, but....Foreman's a Big MF.

I agree , The end of the 3rd round Foreman Looked close to going down also in round 9 (or 10, havent seen the fight for a long time) Foreman looked close to going down. But once the round was over Foreman went back to his corner Didnt sit down, He just stood there casual and then JOGGED out for the next round.

And there were points in the fight where Evander was Really Hurt But Foreman couldnt land the finishing shots, Thats mostly due to the Side to side Movement Holyfield used. ( Tyson wouldnt use side to side Movement, He would be right infront of George ). There was a point in the fight i beleave it was round 2, where Foreman had Holyfield Really Hurt, George went for the KO, he threw a Big Jab which landed clean then followed with a BIG Right Hand and then a Huge Left uppercut, But Due to the big Jab Foreman landed it Pushed Evanders head so far back that Foreman Missed the 2 finishing shots because Holy was out of Range.

ROOSTER

Comment

Originally posted by minion View Post
      er..

Newsflash dude, Tyson was way way over the hile Post Prison. Let alone 7 years later when he faced Lewis.

Tyson's record before prison was 41-1.
      Post prison was 9-4

Tyson had a freakishly strong chin, but very poor "heart".

That said, he had no reason to lose confidence against an old Foreman (or Prime Foreman).

Something Tyson was weak against tall and fast boxers. Hence the Tillis bout.

Foreman was tall, but was very slow. He may land a few, but he would need combo's to get Tyson to implode. Which imo, won't happen.
      Good example!

We also have to remember, that a lot of Foremans comeback fights went the distance.. IE.. Holyfield, Stewart, Schultz, Savarese, Morrison, & Grimsley..

With the exception of Holyfield... What happens to the rest of these guys against 80's Mike?? Surely, I don't have to spell it out lol...

90's Foreman spent too much time fighting off the ropes.. 90% of Tysons victims were KO'd on the ropes... It can't be any more obvious.. Or can it??

Comment

Prime Tyson-maybe not. But post-douglas maybe, and probably post Holyfield

Comment

Who would win right now??

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Good example!

We also have to remember, that a lot of Foremans comeback fights went the distance.. IE.. Holyfield, Stewart, Schultz, Savarese, Morrison, & Grimsley..

With the exception of Holyfield... What happens to the rest of these guys against 80's Mike?? Surely, I don't have to spell it out lol...

90's Foreman spent too much time fighting off the ropes.. 90% of Tysons victims were KO'd on the ropes... It can't be any more obvious.. Or can it??
            Here's the 500 pound gorrilla in the room were "Old" Foreman was concerned: Moorer was the last fighter he knocked out and most of those fights that went the distance came after that. After the Moorer fight his reflexes deteriorated and he got even slower than he had been in the late '80s early '90s. All the power in the world won't help you when you can't land it cleanly because your reflexes are shot or you're so slow opponents can easily avoid your shots.

Poet

Comment

Agree with you Poet,
              you beat me to it.

He was getting slower after the Moorer fight, even in the fight with Moorer he was slower, and was lucky that he had the power to win the fight.

But if we cant matchup Foreman Vs "Post" prison Tyson, then we cant match Tyson with Post Holyfield.

In my opinion neither Holyfield Nor Foreman were the same after there fight.

Comment

Good example!

I can't say I've ever seen Foreman fight off the ropes. Which fight was this?

For the most part all of those fighters you listed ran from Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  I can't say I've ever seen Foreman fight off the ropes. Which fight was this?

For the most part all of those fighters you listed ran from Foreman.
                  Ok... Took breaks on the ropes during the later rounds.. This happened in all of the fights I've mentioned against some of the guys that Tyson KO'd in 1 round.. That's why they went the distance, when they shouldn't have..
                  Foreman, & his trainers basicaly employed this technique against anyone he could'nt get outta there quick, as he was adept at blocking punches with those tree trunk arms, sometimes crossing them (Norton style).. The young Foreman never did this, that's why everyone got KTFO.. Tyson didn't have to, cos he was prime.. The older Tyson couldn't do it, that's why his come back was far less successful than Foremans.. I'm surprised that you never picked up on this... Another example is Bernard Hopkins, he does it to, & I wouldn't be surprised if he took a leaf outta Foremans book, cos it's the best way of putting miles on the clock when your experience out weighs your prime abilities..
                  If anyone ran from 90's Foreman, they sure as hell couldn't run from 80's Tyson, which is why I think this thread is cut & dried.. The thought of 90's Foreman winning is absolutely preposterous..
                  Last edited by mickey malone; 07-15-2009, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Ok... Took breaks on the ropes during the later rounds.. This happened in all of the fights I've mentioned against some of the guys that Tyson KO'd in 1 round.. That's why they went the distance, when they shouldn't have..
                    Foreman, & his trainers basicaly employed this technique against anyone he could'nt get outta there quick, as he was adept at blocking punches with those tree trunk arms, sometimes crossing them (Norton style).. The young Foreman never did this, that's why everyone got KTFO.. Tyson didn't have to, cos he was prime.. The older Tyson couldn't do it, that's why his come back was far less successful than Foremans.. I'm surprised that you never picked up on this... Another example is Bernard Hopkins, he does it to, & I wouldn't be surprised if he took a leaf outta Foremans book, cos it's the best way of putting miles on the clock when your experience out weighs your prime abilities..
                    If anyone ran from 90's Foreman, they sure as hell couldn't run from 80's Tyson, which is why I think this thread is cut & dried.. The thought of 90's Foreman winning is absolutely preposterous..
                    I don't really remember him being against the ropes in any of his fights except for maybe a few moments. He was always plodding forward whatever punches you would throw at him.

I don't think anyone can argue against that Tyson was much, much faster than Foreman was at that point of his career. That's why he was able to get some of the men Foreman fought early on. Against Foreman, a 40+ year old man, they could pretty much just run from him and go the distance.

Comment

Fair comment, have observed the vids that mainly show the last round or 2, where he trades in the center.. Won't split hairs by saying that he's attempting an eye catching finish, but there ain't much need to run as he's almost fighting in slow motion.. No examples of him on the ropes, with what's available, so I can't prove it.. Haven't got a clue on how to download vids either, but I do remember George doing this, maybe not as often as I first thought though..

Comment

Working...
                      X